Spare wheel carrier, Ducato

baz 2

Hi all, could anybody tell me how to remove the spare wheel from my 04 Fiat ducato van. I have found the 2 bolts at rear of van and removed them but then what, nothing seems to happen. Have read the instructions in manuel but not clear to me.

Thanks in advance Baz2

baz 2 - 2018-05-13 8:25 PM

Hi all, could anybody tell me how to remove the spare wheel from my 04 Fiat ducato van. I have found the 2 bolts at rear of van and removed them but then what, nothing seems to happen. Have read the instructions in manuel but not clear to me.

Thanks in advance Baz2

I have no idea about other posters mention of a recall and what that entails.

The two bolts accessible under rectangular plastic plugs when both rear doors are open should not have to be removed entirely, merely slackened off. They control the tightness of two hook-shaped steel lugs which support the spare wheel carrier. As you slacken these bolts off, the carrier should slowly lower. When the carrier is at a certain level you should be able (with difficulty and some strength) to lift the carrier containing the spare wheel off the hooks and lower it to the ground. In my experience there’s no other way to do this than to get down and dirty on the ground and stick your head underneath for a good look.

The wheel brace that comes with the van has a right angle turn at the end of the handle. This is designed to fit into a vertical tube welded onto the wheel carrier from the rear thus giving you some leverage to lower and raise the carrier.

As with all things Fiat, you’ll find rust compromises and affects most tasks so grease regularly the threads on the bolts, and you may not be able to insert the brace handle into the vertical tube because of internal rust.

Good luck

This is probably the forum discussion Len Salisbury is referring to

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Spare-Wheel/39211/?DisplayType=nested&setcookie=1&go=

but it won’t be relevant to a 2004 vehicle.

Blaven has explained the procedure and the attached photo shows the spare-wheel carrier, the vertical tube and one of the two ‘hanger hooks’.

The following link includes more photos

https://strider48.wordpress.com/2013/10/03/removingreplacing-the-spare-wheel-ducato-244-54-plate/

709196637_sparewheelcarrier.jpg.bc87299ee3b179a3b050b129005550c0.jpg

Following on my earlier post, I’m a little concerned that you say you have removed the 2 bolts?

If you’ve done this there MAY be little or nothing holding the two hooks in place?

I can’t swear to it but if it hasn’t been done in a long time it may be just rust holding them in place?

DO take care if you’re getting underneath in case the whole thing drops on your head. It’s heavy.

baz 2 - 2018-05-13 8:25 PM

Thanks in advance Baz2

Hi baz2, not sure it will help, but my 08 reg PVC has a retrofitted cradle, Fiat component, that as far as I know doesn’t require removal of two bolts.

I have a square drive bar that fits my socket drive and I insert this through a hole in the rear door cill/ frame.

Wind it down then unhook I think. Not had to do it thankfully, but get it serviced/ checked regularly.

As said by others .....BE CAREFUL ! And don’t stick your head underneath it, at side maybe bug with caution,

Regards, Snowie

As explained by blaven above; the spare wheel arrangement of a Ducato prior to 2006 is completely different to that which followed.

Any talk of recalls, square lugs and cables is completely irrelevant to the question at hand.

Iwhen i do my 2004 Ducato islacken the two bolts till stiff as has been said don't remove i then place a small hydrolic jack under the wheel take the weight of the wheel with the jack,then easely unhook the carrier lower the jack and access the wheel..I found it easier if i sit down and keep my legs clear of the wheel.

Baz

Thank you to all for your help and guidance on this matter. As I could not see any result from removing the two rear bolts I replaced them. So now armed with your info I can try again. As we are off to the North of Scandinavia for a month in mid June I thought it would be a good idea to have a practice beforehand, I don't expect to see too many breakdown services without a long, long wait! Have had a full service, new clutch and Cam belt so perhaps I should have asked them to free up the spare wheel also.

thanks again baz2

baz 2 - 2018-05-14 9:00 PM

Thank you to all for your help and guidance on this matter. As I could not see any result from removing the two rear bolts I replaced them. So now armed with your info I can try again. As we are off to the North of Scandinavia for a month in mid June I thought it would be a good idea to have a practice beforehand, I don't expect to see too many breakdown services without a long, long wait! Have had a full service, new clutch and Cam belt so perhaps I should have asked them to free up the spare wheel also.

thanks again baz2

Have a great time in Scandinavia. We got up to the Northcape in 2016, and back through Norway. The hairpin bends climbing and descending the fiords call for your brakes to be spot on. I would check that your full service included a full brake strip-down and new pads if needed,- but then, that’s just me!

Archived