PVC recommendations

Hawcara

Used to have a Chausson but due to a change in circumstances had to sell it.

Considering purchasing another van in the future. I like the Autotrail V line, but I’ve not seen that many around. In particular I like the rear seating arrangement.

Reliability and dealerships are the key, so I’m also curious to hear what others comment about other marques. I realise that the continental makes usually have a rear bed layout, which is also a possibility.

Than you

Hawcara - 2018-05-17 6:53 PM

Used to have a Chausson but due to a change in circumstances had to sell it.

Considering purchasing another van in the future. I like the Autotrail V line, but I’ve not seen that many around. In particular I like the rear seating arrangement.

Reliability and dealerships are the key, so I’m also curious to hear what others comment about other marques. I realise that the continental makes usually have a rear bed layout, which is also a possibility.

Than you

We prefer the rear lounge layout. We've had three PVC.

First was an Autocruise Rhythm and after we'd sorted out the MANY initial build quality issues, fortunately most were minor, it was a good PVC BUT it had a compressor fridge which we hated (noisy and 'ate' batteries). This model has been superceded by Swift Select variations - not a fan!

Second was a Devon Aztec. Build quality by far the best of the three eg the furniture quality and finish very good. We only sold it as we fancied a change with a new warranty. Big mistake .....

Third is an Autocruise V-line 635SE purchased 5 Feb this year. Lots of minor build quality issues but, recorded on this Forum, we had a faulty shower connector resulting in 3 floods. That was (eventually) fixed by dealer, but today, in Denmark, the toilet flush pump decided to stay on almost resulting in another flood. I've disconnected the toilet flush pump until we get home. The build quality is poor - check the furniture quality and finish in particular the alignment of the drawers and cupboards under the sink and hob. And what on earth is that panel for under the nearside bunk? Wasted space in our view as I can't see any point to it.

These opinions and experiences are ours and ours alone. May not be typical of the marques, but we are now of the opinion the Aztec we traded in was a BIG (and expensive) mistake.

Good luck whatever you choose

had a good look at a variety of PVCs (and spent some time on swift/AS forums) and the U.K. market isn't particularly good, IMHO....

I certainly wouldn't go near a Swift or AS PVC, some of the stories of dreadful heating installs, awful plumbing etc are more than sufficient to put most off....and AS are a 'premium' nrand charging serious money for their PVCs...

the overall 'quality' of this typical offering is pretty poor, and (again IMHO after looking over a fair few on forecourts and shows) don't match the build of Globecar, Malibu, Westfalia, Hymercar, LaStrada, Knaus, Adria etc....

in fact, I thought very hard about a Malibu before we bought our second Carthago, though at 6.4m and only 2.12m wide, it's as close as we could get size wise to the same footprint...

one interesting design is the Adria 640 SPX which uses the extra 40cm. of the XLWB Ducato to squeeze in a proper across the van shower/washroom and transverse bed, rather than longitudinal singles and a tiny washroom....

great designs still from Westfalia and La Strada (roof bed) and terrific quality from HymerCar and Knaus etc...

why would anyone plump for a Swift Select (they really are pretty naff) when you can have a Malibu or Globecar for similar money.....?

We purchased the Malibu and I have to say it’s built really well

1 moinor squeak from the fly screen to the sliding door.

Not a problem and sortteasily.

The most quiet on the road and with no problems.

We normally change very often, but we have no plans yet and when we do it will be the Malibu A class.

We down sized from a Auto Sleeper Broadway coachbuilt to a Globecar Campscout last year, and the Globecar is the best motorhome that we’ve owned in the last 12 years, we’ve had 6 and 4 were new.

We would defiantly not go back to a coachbuilt again.

John.

A couple of years ago we did some work on a Murvi, that was still in Warranty, rectifying an electrical issue.

Going through the whole van checking everything and looking for the problem, showed really nice build.

We asked the owner if there had been other issues and he had none at all, just this electrical glitch.

We located the issue and phoned Murvi to see if they would pay the Invoice, which technically they shouldn't as the warranty terms stipulate the van should go back to them.

They were brilliant, approved the Invoice straight away and authorised us to undertake any future work for the customer within the warranty should it be required.

A very different approach to some of the manufacturers, flexible and definitely customer focused.

artheytrate - 2018-05-17 9:43 PM

We down sized from a Auto Sleeper Broadway coachbuilt to a Globecar Campscout last year, and the Globecar is the best motorhome that we’ve owned in the last 12 years, we’ve had 6 and 4 were new.

John.

You went through six vans in just one year?? 8-)

Are you running a van hire business......or accident prone? :-S

Bulletguy - 2018-05-17 11:44 PM

artheytrate - 2018-05-17 9:43 PM

John.

You went through six vans in just one year?? 8-)

Are you running a van hire business......or accident prone? :-S

6 vans in 12 years.

John.

We went looking for a Globecar as the build quality is good ended up with a Rapido. The bathroom/toilet arrangement sold it to us. I think build quality is similar to Globecar. Had a couple of problems with skylight s not been fitted properly the rest have been third party quality items and those are fitted by all converters. Highbridge have been very good sorting things out and are still doing so.

I'd recommend Vantage, although I may be biased ;-)

Superb build quality, very well thought out design and excellent after sales service. Only had a couple of minor issues, both of our own making so can't blame Vantage for either, but the parts were replaced without quibble and at no cost.

Hawcara - 2018-05-18 6:33 AM

Thank you all so far. The last van was a product of advice on this forum and proved to be a good choice. It would seem that Autotrail are now off the list!

I will keep reading.:-)

That is a very wise choice I read other motorhome forums and the Autotrail PVCs are definitely built without any design savvy in mind. There is one example whereby the owner of a MY18 Autotrail PVC has just had to tape-up his rear windows and his roof lights as they blow out at speed - just glue used, no rivets.

I certainly like the Globecar vans - very well designed inside too.

polo - 2018-05-18 7:45 AM

We went looking for a Globecar as the build quality is good ended up with a Rapido. The bathroom/toilet arrangement sold it to us. I think build quality is similar to Globecar. Had a couple of problems with skylight s not been fitted properly the rest have been third party quality items and those are fitted by all converters. Highbridge have been very good sorting things out and are still doing so.

Similar in our case - we liked the look of the Globecars - the Campscout in particular.

However, we also ended up buying a Rapido (V68) - 6.4m with comfortmatic gearbox and fixed twin beds at the back. Two years on very happy - stylish and generally well designed. Particularly like the three-way 135-litre fridge-freezer, must be one of the biggest in a PVC.

We had a Chausson coachbuilt previously, which was fine but probably unlikely to go back to another coachbuilt - the PVC wins in so many ways for us.

Archived