Recoveryand trailer

Pete-B

I tow a 750kg box trailer behind our Bessie E462. If I were to breakdown and it didn't prove possible to do a roadside repair, would the AA (whom we're with) recover the trailer with the van?

The reason I ask I've just been talking to a guy whose just pulled onto the campsite were on. He told me he broke down on the way with a failed clutch and he was recovered to a garage by the RAC but they told him they were not allowed to take his little trailer.

You need to check the wording of your specific policy. Copies of policies included with general motorhome insurance that I have had mostly included recovery of a towed trailer if the towing vehicle was disabled, but had differing restrictions on trailer weights and dimensions.

My wife's previous RAC policy similarly had a restriction on trailer length. I have had cover under an RAC group insurance scheme for several years, which prior to this year did not cover any vehicle over 5.5m in length or trailers. It has changed this year to cover vehicles up to 6.5m long and under 3.5 tonnes, and caravans or trailers up to 7.0m in length, but the cost has increased as well! So as with any insurance you need to look at the fine print when comparing different policies, particularly if specific items of cover are critical to you.

Archived