Remis roof vent

hallii

So, after the high winds in Spain a couple of weeks back I managed to get my roof vent cover ripped off.

I have replaced it before and got a replacement from Leisure Shop Direct but it seems they no longer stock it. I emailed them to be sure. Here is a link to what it looks like http://www.leisureshopdirect.com/product_images/812446.jpg

If anyone knows where I can get one please let me know.

If I fit a replacement I want a double glazed one with a blind and flyscreen and non vented. Any ideas what would fit? I think the hole is 400 x 400 so would most sorts fit? Do the screws go through holes or not? I think they go through the hole and clamp things down?

I cant take the old one off until I have a replacement as I will be left with a hole open to the elements, currently I have the old bits taped together and taped onto the roof courtesy of the motorhome dealers in Quart Girona, the name escapes me but there is only one in Quart. All for €10!!

Hallii

Halli.......this MPK is pretty much the same style and identical dimension

https://www.thecaravanshop.co.uk/rooflights-vent-kits/mpk-vison-range/mpk-vision-vent-400-with-flynet-roller-blind/prod_1379.html

I've bought loads of stuff from that guy as his prices are better than what i can get locally. He's also extremely helpful too and well informed so could be worth calling him.

You have my sympathies re. roof vents. The smaller MPK types aren't too bad but my van has a large Heki 2 rooflight which look nice and bring extra light into any van BUT given the crazy cost price are poorly made. The 'weak spot' is the hinges which are made from plastic nylon and black.....so soak up the sun light which turns them brittle. First you know is on opening when hear one of them crack....or worst case scenario as happened to you, the wind rips the thing off. Not a pleasant experience and i live in dread of mine parting company from the van roof.

All for the sake of not using a better material for the hinges. It's a classic example of penny pinching cost cutting.

A Dometic Seitz Mini Heki Plus (400mm x 400mm) non-vented rooflight is advertised here

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/131889743176?clk_rvr_id=1539454668913&vectorid=229508&lgeo=1&item=131889743176&rmvSB=true

My Rapido has one of these and its quality seems OK. Its operating mechanism comprises a simple ‘bar’ arrangement rather than a winding-handle, but that’s perhaps no bad thing. When it's properly shut I can’t envisage high winds blowing the top cover off.

Derek Uzzell - 2018-05-22 6:54 PM

A Dometic Seitz Mini Heki Plus (400mm x 400mm) non-vented rooflight is advertised here

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/131889743176?clk_rvr_id=1539454668913&vectorid=229508&lgeo=1&item=131889743176&rmvSB=true

My Rapido has one of these and its quality seems OK. Its operating mechanism comprises a simple ‘bar’ arrangement rather than a winding-handle, but that’s perhaps no bad thing. When its properly shut I can’t envisage high winds blowing the top cover off.

Normally it wouldn't Derek but that rooflight has the same weak spot as my Heki 2. These things;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Caravan-Motorhome-Seitz-Dometi-Heki-2-Midi-Heki-Plastic-Hinge-H2H2/382246994426?hash=item58ffb241fa:g:zu8AAOSwCi1Z3e5B

Black plastic nylon and the pins are the same. Soaks up the sun like a sponge and eventually go brittle. For a few pence more they could have fitted stainless steel........but that would mean less parts sales.

The part the hinge pin slots through is also prone to 'britalising' and if that part snaps away, then the entire rooflight has to come out just to replace that section.

Thanks gents, I have decided on the Heiki mini. I have taken the inside cover off and it was fixed with screws that screw into the top part through holes that are alongside the 400 x 400 hole.

Now I need to know if the fixing holes are a standard spacing or will I have to drill new holes? Anybody know.

H

I replaced the small vent on my Hymer 544 with an omnivent with fan.

The original Hymer vent is secured with screws which go through holes drilled around the periphery of the 400x400 aperture.

My new omnivent had a smaller footprint than the original one. The predrilled holes were extremely close to the edge of the footprint of the new vent. During heavy rain, water would enter via these holes.

The moral of this story is - check the size of the footprint of the new vent so it is at least the same size as the original.

Thanks Robbo, I have been doing some measurements and the Hieki Mini has a footprint that should cover the holes with ease. I will fill the holes with Sikaflex anyway and the put the butyl tape over the top.

H

UPDATE I phoned Brownhills, they directed me to an ebay item and there it was, not transparent but translucent, but hey, I can live with that. So I have ordered a new "dome" bit, the price? A mere £114 !!

H

hallii - 2018-05-23 3:20 PM

UPDATE I phoned Brownhills, they directed me to an ebay item and there it was, not transparent but translucent, but hey, I can live with that. So I have ordered a new "dome" bit, the price? A mere £114 !!

That's not bad. My dome is double that price though Heki prices are "all over the place" so you really have to shop around.

Glad you got sorted!

In Poland last year, a Dutch couple parked up next to me and they'd had the same experience only they were lucky......the mh was rented so it hadn't cost them a penny to get a new rooflight put in.

I feel for this guy > http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/HOBBY-roof-light/49419/

Bulletguy - 2018-05-22 7:40 PM

Derek Uzzell - 2018-05-22 6:54 PM

My Rapido has one of these and its quality seems OK. Its operating mechanism comprises a simple ‘bar’ arrangement rather than a winding-handle, but that’s perhaps no bad thing. When its properly shut I can’t envisage high winds blowing the top cover off.

Normally it wouldn't Derek but that rooflight has the same weak spot as my Heki 2. These things;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Caravan-Motorhome-Seitz-Dometi-Heki-2-Midi-Heki-Plastic-Hinge-H2H2/382246994426?hash=item58ffb241fa:g:zu8AAOSwCi1Z3e5B

Black plastic nylon and the pins are the same. Soaks up the sun like a sponge and eventually go brittle. For a few pence more they could have fitted stainless steel........but that would mean less parts sales.

The part the hinge pin slots through is also prone to 'britalising' and if that part snaps away, then the entire rooflight has to come out just to replace that section.

Just for the record, the hinging system of a Dometic MINI Heki Plus (now apparently renamed “MINI HEKI STYLE”) differs from that of Heki 2 rooflights.

The Mini Heki Style rooflight does not have separate black plastic nylon parts (as shown in the 2nd ebay link) it has two ‘comb’ hinges with one part of the comb being part of the dome and the other being part of the rooflight’s base. (The attached photo shows the combs.) The hinge-pin that slide through each comb is plastic, but has a reasonable diameter and neither the hinges nor the pins are directly exposed to the elements (though they are exposed to sunlight of course.) When the HEKI MINI is properly closed, there’s a ‘hook’ locking mechanism at each rear corner, so (as I said earlier) the chances of the ‘dome’ being blown off have got to be small.

There is also now a “MICRO HEKI” to fit a 280mm x 280mm aperture.I wish my Rapido’s washroom had one of these, as the small flimsy single-glazed Omnistor rooflight Rapido fitted really is rubbish and - as it needs a little sliding safety-catch to hold it shut - is just an accident waiting to happen.

1102901236_HEKIMINI.jpg.11b7fff9fe14dde23a6f438b65f4a9e8.jpg

Archived