A trip to Spain

Don Madge

enodreven - 2007-03-09 10:57 AM

Do you take the same route as Don,

Brian

Not quite. Dunkerque, Abbeville, Rouen, Chartres, Tours, Poitiers, Bordeaux, Biarritz.

We don't use toll roads.

From Biarritz we go across Spain via Pamplona, La Almunia de Doña Godina, Teruel, Valencia.

Hi, Derek

Have you used the camp sites that Don meations above or do you just stick to Aires, its just that i would like to have a electric hookup and from the Aires I have been searching on the route Don has shown i can't find any that have electric other than the one you meantioned earlier

Brian

derek500 - 2007-03-09 12:36 PM

enodreven - 2007-03-09 10:57 AM

Do you take the same route as Don,

Brian

Not quite. Dunkerque, Abbeville, Rouen, Chartres, Tours, Poitiers, Bordeaux, Biarritz.

We don't use toll roads.

From Biarritz we go across Spain via Pamplona, La Almunia de Doña Godina, Teruel, Valencia.

Hi,

I have been checking the route on Autoroute and it follows Dons general theme down to Madrid but as we want to end in Chipiona near Cadiz, Autoroute suggests that from Madrid we take the E5 towards Cordoba and Seville and then the A4 down to Cadiz, is this the best route ? and does anyone know of any campsites open at this time of year along this route as it will be approximately 450 miles from the campsite that Don suggests which is just above Madrid

Thanks

Brian

enodreven - 2007-03-09 4:35 PM

Hi, Derek

Have you used the camp sites that Don meations above or do you just stick to Aires, its just that i would like to have a electric hookup and from the Aires I have been searching on the route Don has shown i can't find any that have electric other than the one you meantioned earlier

Brian

We used La Larrouleta last August, but only because the Aires in Biarritz and St Jean de Luz were full. I'm not a happy bunny when I have to pay 20 odd Euros for somewhere to park overnight.

There is electricity at the Biarritz and St Jean de Luz aires, but no available bornes when we arrived.

Hi, Derek

Thanks for the information, have you ever used Camping El Pinar de Chipiona only Don suggested this would perhaps be nearer to Chipiona than where he was staying but when i have tried to search Google from what i can read it doesnt appear to accept motorhomes, so i was wondering if anyone knows if that is the case ?

Thanks

Brian

enodreven - 2007-03-09 6:21 PM

Hi, Derek

Thanks for the information, have you ever used Camping El Pinar de Chipiona only Don suggested this would perhaps be nearer to Chipiona than where he was staying but when i have tried to search Google from what i can read it doesnt appear to accept motorhomes, so i was wondering if anyone knows if that is the case ?

Thanks

Brian

I've never been down that way in the MH. However, I've found a website and they do take MHs.

Prices for low season, until June 1 (excluding Easter) are 4€ for your MH and 3€ per person. Electricity 2.50€. If you are there over Easter prices are 5€, 3.50€ and 3€.

The website was updated by the owner 11 days ago, so should be accurate.

http://www.meligrana.com/alojamiento/cadiz/costa-de-la-luz/camping/el-pinar-de-chipiona.asp

enodreven - 2007-03-09 8:59 PM

Hi, Derek

Thanks for checking that for me I really do appreciate it, It must be great to be able to speak another Language ?

Brian

Certainly is, it was always an ambition of mine. Not fully fluent, but I can do most things. Even managed to buy and sell an apartment without using a solicitor!!

Hi, Derek

How long has it taken you to learn the Language ?

Brian

derek500 - 2007-03-09 9:29 PM

enodreven - 2007-03-09 8:59 PM

Hi, Derek

Thanks for checking that for me I really do appreciate it, It must be great to be able to speak another Language ?

Brian

Certainly is, it was always an ambition of mine. Not fully fluent, but I can do most things. Even managed to buy and sell an apartment without using a solicitor!!

I've been here for 3 1/2 years. I'm not as good as my 17 year old daughter though. Even though she goes to British school where all the lessons are in English, she speaks the lingo very well.

In 2005 she won a big golf tournament here and was interviewed on local Valencian TV. I was well impressed.

enodreven - 2007-03-11 9:09 PM

Hi, Derek

Thats really great for both of you and to be able to learn another langauge and be fluent in 3 years so you can conduct yourself on Spainish TV is fantastic, Did she play Golf in England ?

Yes. When we came to Spain she had a handicap of 22 after playing a couple of years. The month before we left she was club champion at Banbury. Living in Spain has been wonderful for her game, she now plays off 3.

However, later this year she's moving back to the UK. She's been offered a golf scholarship at Exeter University.

Hi, Derek

That's absolutely fantastic i do hope she eventually becomes a professional golfer as she will be able to earn a very good living, But I'm sure it will be a bit of a disappointment for you that she will have to return to the UK, will you stay in Spain ?

Brian

derek500 - 2007-03-11 8:41 PM

enodreven - 2007-03-11 9:09 PM

Hi, Derek

Thats really great for both of you and to be able to learn another langauge and be fluent in 3 years so you can conduct yourself on Spainish TV is fantastic, Did she play Golf in England ?

Yes. When we came to Spain she had a handicap of 22 after playing a couple of years. The month before we left she was club champion at Banbury. Living in Spain has been wonderful for her game, she now plays off 3.

However, later this year she's moving back to the UK. She's been offered a golf scholarship at Exeter University.

Yes. We're staying here. Hoping to some longish trips in the MH, as it will be our first time as empty nesters!!

By the way are you planning to visit Madrid on your way down? If you haven't been before it's a beautilful city.

Last year we stayed at Camping Osuna, on the outskirts of the city. It was a 10/15 minute walk to the Metro station with a 1€ flat fare to the city centre.

Well worth a day or two.

Hi, Derek

We have been thinking about visiting Madrid on our way down, but as i think i mentioned before we have 3 calls to make Chipiona, Calahonda and Villaricos. and the problem is that our friends at Calahonda are leaving there the first week of April and we really don't want to miss them, So our itinerary is tight as we do need to spend some time at Chipiona first. However thank you for the suggestion as we may be able to double back on ourselves on the way home to take in Madrid or perhaps when we hopefully over winter 07/08.

Do you ever take the route along the Mediterranean coast and up through the middle of France when you return to the UK and if you do i would appreciate and suggestions on campsites along the way as we would like to visit Valancia, Benidom, Barcelona etc and any suggestion of places to visit would be welcome

Thanks

Brian

derek500 - 2007-03-11 9:06 PM

Yes. We're staying here. Hoping to some longish trips in the MH, as it will be our first time as empty nesters!!

By the way are you planning to visit Madrid on your way down? If you haven't been before it's a beautilful city.

Last year we stayed at Camping Osuna, on the outskirts of the city. It was a 10/15 minute walk to the Metro station with a 1€ flat fare to the city centre.

Well worth a day or two.

We haven't done the east coast route yet, we've always had time against us. We are planning to in the future though.

Last summer we went Valencia, Zaragoza, Huesca, through the Pyranees, Pau, Limoges, Vierzon, Orleans, Chartes, Rouen, Abbeville, Dunkerque.

The number of MHs in the Pyranees was unbelievable and so were the queues of French cars/Mhs at the Spanish fuel stations (and the Brits think France is cheap!!).

In the summer we allow four days for our journey, in the winter we drive more each day and do it in three.

I always set Tomtom for max speed 80kph and it's amazing how accurate the timings are. We tend to go about 90kph on the fast roads but slower than TomTom expects on the slow roads!!

Archived