Smoking rant

blaven

Sitting inside the van with side door open, enjoying the balmy, humid evening here in Aachen. Halfway down a good bottle of red. Alls well with the world............apart from a very slim Dutch lady chain smoking roll-ups outside her brand new Burstner caravan from which she emerges every 20 mins to light up. Sadly, the very light wind blows the smoke in our direction. The van’s sliding door makes a really impressive slamming noise when you get the timing right.

To think I used to be a smoker myself! Sheesh!

the clampits - 2018-05-23 7:47 PM

Having just come back from Europe, I know exactly how you feel (lol) . Still, could have been worse, you might have been in a restaurant eating a meal

I remember a crowded restaurant in the Algarve maybe 15 years ago. We walked into an unbelievable hot, smoky atmosphere, the waiter found us a table, we sat down and looked at each other. Then got up and left. The waiter asked us what was wrong, we told him we couldn’t put up with the fug. He looked round and said he didn’t blame us.

Ive often wondered why the C and MC don’t make their sites totally smoking free ( and im including smoking in vans on site as well ) Maybe the policing of it by the Wardens would be difficult though they seem to police the peg rule quite diligently !

I am off to visit the 4x4 show near Schweinfurt, Germany next week. https://www.abenteuer-allrad.de/?lang=en . I was fascinated to read the following house rule in FAQ for the site since I am totally unaware of the ban:

Does the Germany-wide smoking ban affect me?

Yes, annually between 1st March and 31st October the Germany-wide smoking, barbecuing and bonfire ban is valid. This concerns the access roads to the fairground, the whole area around the fairground, the fairground itself and the CAMP-AREA.

Smoking in Australia is banned in restaurants and in a lot of outside areas around public building doorways. At present in Bologna and last night in the restaurant we ate in, the owner on several occasions went to the front door to light up. The pasta with duck meat sauce was great but the air quality was less than ideal.

Wirehaired - 2018-05-24 10:23 PM

Most don't care,its getting as bad in places with those Vapes.

I Dont think you can complain about Vaping. The stuff that comes off them is just water vapour and totally harmless and if they do smell a bit its not unpleasant.

A lot of people turned to vaping when the ban came in force in public buildings and its helped a lot of people quit including myself. They are better than real cigarettes now the technology has improved so there is no real reason for anyone to stay smoking proper fags anymore. Cheap as chips as well compared to whatever a pack of 20 is these days. £10 I heard the other day.

I agree that passive smoking/secondary smoke from fags is vile that’s why I only smoke my own. If I inadvertently cause distress/discomfort by smoking outside my van because of my proximity to another person I would respond positively by moving well away from them if they were to point this out, though I believe I would have noticed this in the first place and taken remedial action. I would never light up close to strangers when eating in a pub garden/similar but would walk away to an area where I could annoy no one. Smokers aren’t the only people with bad habits that inconvenience or spoil the enjoyment of the open air for others but they do tend to come in for the most stick, often from the “reformed” self-righteous. Maybe we should ban donuts, biscuits, chips etc. on sites because the sight of some lard a***s that clearly eat too many of them often spoils an otherwise pleasant view.

I love camping in Europe because there are more smokers and fewer lard a***s. The biggest bonus is that fags cost next to nothing. Looking forward to our next trip to Belgium where they are half the price they are in the UK.

Yours faithfully Veronica…one of the dying breeds of social pariahs. Doing you all a favour by not cluttering up the nursing homes of the future.

;-)

blaven - 2018-05-23 7:48 PM

Sitting inside the van with side door open, enjoying the balmy, humid evening here in Aachen. Halfway down a good bottle of red. Alls well with the world............apart from a very slim Dutch lady chain smoking roll-ups outside her brand new Burstner caravan from which she emerges every 20 mins to light up. Sadly, the very light wind blows the smoke in our direction. The van’s sliding door makes a really impressive slamming noise when you get the timing right.

I would rather put up with a little smoke, than hear other peoples dogs barking and dodging dog s--t around campsites. You could always close all windows and fit A/C!

Deffheads - 2018-05-25 7:12 PM

I would rather put up with a little smoke, than hear other peoples dogs barking and dodging dog s--t around campsites. You could always close all windows and fit A/C!

Well now......wouldn’t you say that closing all one’s windows and fitting A/C kinda ‘defeats the object’ of why we spend thousands on endeavouring to enjoy the outdoors life? Maybe you’d need a little time to think this through?

Update: the lady in question (pleasant enough) has moved on. It’s even hotter and more humid and another bottle’s been broached. And the door’s wide open.

blaven - 2018-05-25 7:47 PM

Deffheads - 2018-05-25 7:12 PM

Well now......wouldn’t you say that closing all one’s windows and fitting A/C kinda ‘defeats the object’ of why we spend thousands on endeavouring to enjoy the outdoors life? Maybe you’d need a little time to think this through?

Update: the lady in question (pleasant enough) has moved on. It’s even hotter and more humid and another bottle’s been broached. And the door’s wide open.

Nothing annoys me more than watching people drinking far too much alcohol. It costs the NHS Billions to pick up the pieces. They get so drunk that they step in the dog sh*t and annoy the peaceful smokers. :D

Barryd999 - 2018-05-25 4:12 PM

I Dont think you can complain about Vaping. The stuff that comes off them is just water vapour and totally harmless

Apart from the formaldehyde, acetaldehyde, acrolein, ethylene glycol, diethylene glycol, glyoxal, methylglyoxal, diacetyl and acetyl propionyl, acetoin, copper, zinc and other likely carcinogens.

"E-cigarettes may represent a less harmful alternative to tobacco cigarette smoking, although the presence of toxicants in e-cigarette aerosols means that their use is unlikely to be risk-free".

[Chem. Res. Toxicol., 2016, 29 (10), published by the American Chemical Society, 2016]

Archived