New location for over wintering

Deffheads

Hi, to all

What are your thoughts on finding an alternative winter location other than Spain and Portugal as these countries are now getting over subscribed with long stay motorhomers clogging up proper camp site and wild camping spots. We have thought of Morocco but I don't think the constant harassment from locals would be bearable.

Where else is it possible to find good weather and sites at reasonable cost? this would be from December to just after Easter when most of the long stayers disappear.

I’m seriously contemplating The Canaries , I hope to live there for 6 months of the year and will use my motorhome initially as a base to house hunt , as I’m in no hurry to buy until the very very right property is available I’m thinking of spending a couple of seasons there .

I too have absolutely and totally ruled out North Africa .

Hi, Thanks for the comment ,we have thought of Tenerife but my wife doesn't do ferries and the one from Portugal takes 49 hours and cost in excess of £1000 return with no cabin. We are only looking for max 3 months, unlike yourself, looking to stay.

Deffheads - 2018-05-26 7:18 PM

Hi, Thanks for the comment ,we have thought of Tenerife but my wife doesn't do ferries and the one from Portugal takes 49 hours and cost in excess of £1000 return with no cabin. We are only looking for max 3 months, unlike yourself, looking to stay.

And you’ve got to get to Portugal.

Maybe worth it if you drove to Portugal, and 12 weeks of super sunny weather might just be worth it.

We all have different ways of doing the calculation

Regards, Snowie

some european motorhomers go to the south of italy/sicily and i believe some on this forum have wintered in the south of turkey.

as for morocco, i dont understand this dread of constant harasssment?? weve only experienced it at the entry from cueta, and we dont go that way now tanger med is open. of course, im pleased that many travellers dont want to go there, or find it disgusting, as it was starting to get very busy with 'gangs' of motorhomes (with yellow badges!) turning up en masse and clogging up the sometimes quite small campsites and 'aires'. (that comment is going to get me some flak, i guess :-S )

I'm pleased to hear your views on Morocco, I am only going by comments made by people I've met recently. Did you stay away from the west coast and spend most of your time in the 'wilds' and mountains? Also you've lost me with the yellow badge thing. When was the last time you visited?

didnt go last year or this year cos of house moving and stuff. we usually go down the west coast aas far as agadir then go inland to the desert amd back via marrakesh and the atlas mountains. we use both campsites and guardiens as the costs are minimal even atthe well favoured campsiteds.places where you may get harassed are tangier, casablanca, the big square in marrakesh and the sea front at agadir.

there are some lovely little places and im sure most visitors will agree that the moroccans are very friendly.(when i made a big mistake and caused a bit of a trafffic problem, i got an on the spot fine, then the policeman saluted me and said sorry sir!!) most roads in and out of built up areas are policed but ive never known any tourist get stopped, and the 'aires' all have guardians so are safe.we always feel ssafer than in spain (although we do realise that there are thieves and criminals everywhere in the world).

i disliked the cueta crossing but we now use . it pours straight onto the motorway (toll) with a petrol station sfter about 25kms. the ttoll road goes way dowwn the west coaast but we usually come off and follow the coast road.

we met the yellow 'badges' 3 years ago, they are motorhome funsters. they have yellow smiling faces stuck in their windowsand some wave yellow flags. we met quite a few who regretted going as a group as everyone wanted to do different things, at different times, in different places. it suits some, not all

Archived