Absolute bargain TV.

Guest Frank Wilkinson

Guest Frank Wilkinson

I posted this on Saturday right at the end (obviously Frank!) of another post where it was probably quickly lost. This is such a super buy that I think that it deserves a bit more prominence just in case anyone is thinking of a new digital TV.

Maplin's is offering a mains or 12v 9.2" LCD TV with Freeview and built-in DVD player. Nothing new here you may think!

However, this has has rechargeable polymer lithium batteries and will run for up to two and a half hours.

Ideal for the wild campers who don't want to run down their battery.

Here's the best bit - Maplin's has just reduced it from £250 to £150. I'm definitely going to have a look. It will obviously all depend on the image quality but if it's OK this is a real bargain.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=99129&TabID=1&source=1&doy=20m1

Ps I've just phoned my local store, which says that they've sold out (sold 13 last week) and that stocks are running low and it's existing stock only so if you want to take a chance, get in quickly. The salesman said that they'd had it running on display with a DVD playing and the image quality is excellent, but of course he would wouldn't he, although to be fair he seemed a very knowledgeable and sensible young man.

Pps - it gets better. I've decided to take at chance at this price and ordered one on line. If you sign up to its website Maplin's gives you a further discount, in this case £7. There is no delivery charge either so I've paid a total of £142.99. This has to be a seriously good buy!

Good bye!

Guest Frank Wilkinson
Ralph - 2007-01-22 12:34 PM You must have cleaned them out of stock Frank as the link just goes to nothing now. Hope you get good use from it.

Yep, sorry about that folks, they must have all gone. The lad did say that they were flying out.

I clicked onthe link and the maplins page appeared but no pic' of theTV. I looked at their other LED TV's and they dont have a satellite or scart socket. Are there any LED TV's that I can connect to my Lidl camping satellite receiver?

I am looking for my first motorhome at the moment. Excellent Forum. B-)

Guest Frank Wilkinson
Ventoux - 2007-01-28 6:48 PM I clicked onthe link and the maplins page appeared but no pic' of theTV. I looked at their other LED TV's and they dont have a satellite or scart socket. Are there any LED TV's that I can connect to my Lidl camping satellite receiver? I am looking for my first motorhome at the moment. Excellent Forum. B-)

The lack of a scart socket is no disadvantage. TVs like this have a single audio/video-in socket. This TV for instance comes with a lead, which has the correct jackplug on one end and three phono plugs on the other. All you need to buy is a scart to phono adapter. The adapter goes in your digibox scart socket, you plug the three phonos into it and the jackplug into the socket on the TV.

The jack plug actually has three conecting points so you transmit audio left and right channels and the video.

One tip, when buying the scart to phono adapter make sure that it's an 'Out' model. The image is going out of your digibox but you can get 'In' versions, which are for signals going into a device.

The main reason for not putting scart sockets on such tiny TVs is simply one of space.

Isn't 9 inches a bit on the small side? Especially if it's not widescreen so you lose the top and bottom of the screen to most Freeview that is now broadcast in widescreen.

We use my laptop with its 15 inch diagonal wide screen display and I wouldn't really want to watch anythin smaller for very long unless it's ploncked right in front of me.

Guest Frank Wilkinson

Not in my 'van as it is very close to us both, but in some it could be a problem as you say. I would imagine though that many of the newer, small LCD models are wide-screen, the one is question certainly is.

It's really all down to your own 'van and the TV's placement.

Mel E - 2007-01-29 2:13 PM

Isn't 9 inches a bit on the small side? Especially if it's not widescreen so you lose the top and bottom of the screen to most Freeview that is now broadcast in widescreen.

We use my laptop with its 15 inch diagonal wide screen display and I wouldn't really want to watch anythin smaller for very long unless it's ploncked right in front of me.

Could I plug my camping satellite system into my laptop somehow?

These are the ports I have (Dont know how to upload the picture of them);

Left-side components

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Component

Description

(1)

Security cable slot

Attaches an optional security cable to the computer.

NOTE The security cable is designed to act as a deterrent, but may not prevent the computer from being mishandled or stolen.

(2)

External monitor port

Connects an external monitor.

(3)

S-Video-out jack

Connects an optional S-Video device such as a television, VCR, camcorder, overhead projector, or video capture card.

(4)

RJ-45 (network) jack

Connects a network cable.

(5)

USB ports (2)

Connect an optional USB device.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Ventoux, it is probably better to have a TV for watching TV and keep the laptop separate for use when OH is watching TV or vice versa.

Many LCD TVs have a Scart socket and a 14" or 15" is a typical size used in motorhomes. If you have a set without a Scart then follow Frank's recommendation.

Phil.

Ventoux, if you already have the laptop and the satellite receiver I'd suggest you go for something like the AverMedia hybrid digital/analogue terrestrial card (available for around £60 to £70 I think) as this also has an AV input so you could use it for terrestrial digital and analogue (for as long as that lasts) TV reception and as a monitor for your satellite TV.

D.

Dave Newell - 2007-01-29 10:04 PM

You can get TV tuner units for USB but I don't know whether they have AV inputs. If your laptop doesn't have a cardbus slot how old is it? If it is a fairly elderly unit it probably won't be powerful enough to run a TV tuner anyway.

D.

Thanks.

Its a new laptop. Compaq Presario. Its TV enabled & has "TV Samples" on it.

Found some nice LCD 12v TV's on web with scart inputs, there's a nice Sony 15" at Tescos. Could just leave laptop for wi-fi then.

In Windows Media Player Library there are pre loaded "TV" clips (E.T., Back to the Future & others). This is in addition to the other Library sections like Music, Video, Other Media.

I'm presuming if the laptop is fed a signal it will play TV stuff.

Nothing in Manual about TV, or in laptop Help & Support, search on 'television' finds nothing either. Mabye it does not support TV facility after all.

Mabye that stuff in Windows Media Player is just pre loaded on all WMP programmes, whether the PC supports TV or not.

Archived