Ford Transit Herald

stevebrookman

Guest pelmetman
stevebrookman - 2018-06-10 6:46 PM

Thanks,

I take it that Auto-Sleepers are of a good quality?

Steve

Yep ;-) ......

It's (The Legend) so good they cant afford to make them like that anymore 8-) .......

I've just been looking at the links to vans.

Compared to other models of their era, they still look considerably more modern.

One additional point to consider is the foam in the cushions

If original, even if low use, at c20year old, the foam will have lost it's elasticity & may be degraded. So allow for replacement in your budget.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Steve..

Sorry, no experience of Transits of the age you are looking at(our Duetto was a 2003..so MK 6?).

But I would've thought that the Transit forum(s) would've been the best place to find such info..

(although on such forums I've always tended to filter out the, "don't touch with a barge pole" and the "best vehicles on the road" extremes, and look to take a real-world average...

Also, I'm all for doing "research" beforehand but I do also think that it is sometimes possible to do too much..? (not saying that you are).

..as it's only once you've bought ,and started living with something, that'll you'll get to judge for yourself whether you've made the right move or not. :-)

Guest pelmetman
stevebrookman - 2018-06-21 9:01 PM

I think you are correct.

I'll have a look on Saturday and report back.

Regards

Steve

The best thing about Transits they're cheap to fix ;-) .......

As my £1300 self inflicted waxoyl injury 8-) was solved by a 15 quid wheel from a scrappy proved it today B-)

Guest pelmetman
flicka - 2018-06-10 7:40 PM

I've just been looking at the links to vans.

Compared to other models of their era, they still look considerably more modern.

One additional point to consider is the foam in the cushions

If original, even if low use, at c20year old, the foam will have lost it's elasticity & may be degraded. So allow for replacement in your budget.

Fair comment Flika ;-) .......But kinda being in the trade I replaced my foam a couple of years ago with the best quality luxury foam available ...........Have to say I'm disappointed *-) .........admittedly I wasn't in the sofa furniture game......but next time I'm going composite ......ie crumb core with a foam wrap ;-) ........

Hopefully it will last 25 years too :-S .............

stevebrookman - 2018-06-20 7:46 PM

Many thanks.

Having a look on Saturday.

Been having a look on the Transit forum. These age Transits have a Lucas EPIC pump which seems to be a bit problematical. Anyone have experience of this?

Regards

Steve

A potential difficulty with older vehicles is that a component/system (eg. the Lucas “Epic” injector pump) that was reliable when fitted originally can become problematical as it ages. And, if a component/system does start to play up after (say) 20 years of use, repair/replacement may well prove challenging. This seems to be the case with the Lucas pump, with comments on the Ford Transit Forum discussing replacing the Lucas unit with a Bosch pump.

If you buy ‘old’, you’ll just have to factor in the possibility of age-related component failure - but if an elderly vehicle has a good MOT history and runs/drives OK (and the price paid reflects the vehicle’s general condiition) I’m not sure what else you can do.

(The idea that old Transits will be "cheap to fix” is overly simplistic - some repairs will be inexpensive and some definitely will not. Haynes published a service/repair manual for 1986-1999 diesel-fuelled Transits

https://www.worldofbooks.com/ford-transit-diesel-1986-99-service-and-repair-manual-by-john-s-mead-gor001452177.html?keyword=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjOXCnNzm2wIVCfhRCh17pA0XEAQYBSABEgK7UfD_BwE

and reference to this will soon show that some parts-replacement tasks will be labour-intensive even though the cost of the parts themselves (if they are still available!) might be quite reasonable.)

Had a look today. Paintwork a bit dull on the outside and headlamps needed the polishing treatment. Minimal rust-had a good look underneath-no rust. Inside was good-although my wife could smell damp -had a look under all seat cushions. Behind the rear passenger side cushion part of the wall was actually wet and the surrounding hardboard soft. Looked like the rear window had been leaking a while. Took it for a quick drive-drove well-if a little sluggish in 1st. Mechanically seemed ok-came with a bunch or receipts-£800 spent on diesel pump 10 years ago.

Due to damp problem will keep on searching. Not worth anywhere near £14500

Regards

Steve

Guest pelmetman
Derek Uzzell - 2018-06-22 8:20 AM

(The idea that old Transits will be "cheap to fix” is overly simplistic - some repairs will be inexpensive and some definitely will not. Haynes published a service/repair manual for 1986-1999 diesel-fuelled Transits

Of course you're speaking from experience Derek? ;-) ..........

Just askin :D .........

I’ve owned two Ford Transit-based motorhomes - a Mk 5-based Herald from 1998-2004 and a Mk 6-based Hobby from 2005-2014.

The 1996-built Herald had a rear-axle final-drive-unit bearing fail. The bearing itself was cheap enough, but the labour cost would not have been if the repair had not been covered by a warranty.

The variable-geometry mechanism of the 2015 Hobby’s turbocharger jammed (a fairly common problem on the 2.0litre 125PS motor) and the repair cost around £800 (not covered by a warranty). This comprised about £250 for work on the turbocharger and the rest was for labour.

In both cases the vehicle’s mileage was under 30K.

It’s unrealist to claim that a 20-year-old motorhome (which is the age of vehicle Steve is considering) will be inherently reliable or cheap to repair merely because it is a specific/make model. It may be that a Mk 4/Mk 5 Transit is easier to work on in certain instances than (say) a similar-age Fiat Ducato because the Transit is RWD while the Ducato is FWD. But a gearbox fault on a Transit Mk 4/Mk 5 (and this was a known problem historically) would hardly be "cheap to fix".

Guest pelmetman
Derek Uzzell - 2018-06-24 6:32 AM

I’ve owned two Ford Transit-based motorhomes - a Mk 5-based Herald from 1998-2004 and a Mk 6-based Hobby from 2005-2014.

The 1996-built Herald had a rear-axle final-drive-unit bearing fail. The bearing itself was cheap enough, but the labour cost would not have been if the repair had not been covered by a warranty.

The variable-geometry mechanism of the 2015 Hobby’s turbocharger jammed (a fairly common problem on the 2.0litre 125PS motor) and the repair cost around £800 (not covered by a warranty). This comprised about £250 for work on the turbocharger and the rest was for labour.

It’s unrealist to claim that a 20-year-old motorhome (which is the age of vehicle Steve is considering) will be inherently reliable or cheap to repair merely because it is a specific/make model. It may be that a Mk 4/Mk 5 Transit is easier to work on in certain instances than (say) a similar-age Fiat Ducato because the Transit is RWD while the Ducato is FWD. But a gearbox fault on a Transit Mk 4/Mk 5 (and this was a known problem historically) would hardly be "cheap to fix".

I had my gearbox go on my MK5 after a 130k miles 8-) .......I didn't fix it, I had a secondhand one fitted for 300 quid, which worked fine until I changed the engine to the Essex V6 with an auto box :D ........

So I'd say based on "experience" the older Trannies are cheaper and easier to fix, purely from the fact that there is less to go wrong ;-) .........

Guest pelmetman
Derek Uzzell - 2018-06-24 6:32 AM

I reckon my quarter of a million miles in a Mk3 & Mk5 Transits..... trumps your less than 60K Derek? :D .........

Just sayin ;-) ..........

Archived