Smashing Time

blaven

When travelling back home to Skye I have the option of going up Loch Lomond way, or through Callander and the Trossachs. Both routes join at Crianlarich. Yesterday, at the last minute, I decided on the Callander route. Whilst we approached Lochearnhead I remarked to Mrs. B that on a previous journey an oncoming campervan had swiped off our driver’s door mirror on a narrowish section of road thereby smashing the mirror to bits and causing some alarm.

You’ve guessed it..............2 miles up the road exactly the same thing happens whilst climbing out of Glen Ogle. I’m in my old Murvi with the short-armed mirrors when an oncoming Campervan with the extended mirrors appears to lurch towards me slamming my mirror backwards and smashing the glass to bits.

What can you do? You can’t stop there and then on a busy narrow road, you have to carry on till the next convenient layby and assess the damage. It’s knock for knock, and no one can prove anything one way or the other. It all happens so quickly. That’ll be another £150 ish to Eurocarparts. Ker-ching!!!

Later I was following a very well-driven hired Campervan all the way from Tyndrum to Ballachulish. He knew his width and used the road well. Just by Onich the same thing happened to him,- oncoming campervan again and his mirror went the same way as mine and he was well over on his side of the road. I hope he’s got some insurance against such an event.

blaven - 2018-06-01 10:35 AM

When travelling back home to Skye I have the option of going up Loch Lomond way, or through Callander and the Trossachs. Both routes join at Crianlarich. Yesterday, at the last minute, I decided on the Callander route. Whilst we approached Lochearnhead I remarked to Mrs. B that on a previous journey an oncoming campervan had swiped off our driver’s door mirror on a narrowish section of road thereby smashing the mirror to bits and causing some alarm.

You’ve guessed it..............2 miles up the road exactly the same thing happens whilst climbing out of Glen Ogle. I’m in my old Murvi with the short-armed mirrors when an oncoming Campervan with the extended mirrors appears to lurch towards me slamming my mirror backwards and smashing the glass to bits. ...............

On the A84, there are also sharp bends south of Strathyre, and perhaps less formidable at the western end of the Pass of Leny. I have not encountered problems in Glen Ogle, but that could be down to luck.

The alternative A82 route up the side of Loch Lomond gets rather twisty and narrower for several miles north of Tarbert, Some years ago when travelling south, I had my paint chipped by the mirror of an oncoming vehicle. Nothing more serious, but it sounded horrendous. As Blaven says you have to chose your place to stop and inspect the damage safely.

Alan

Archived