Replacing immersion heater

malc d

I'm about to replace the 11 inch immersion heater in my van.

I was surprised to see that the one I'm taking out has no sealing washer of any kind around it - looks like it was just sealed with a silicone sealer of some kind smeared on the surfaces.

The new one also only has a thin rubber sealing ring ( not a flat washer ) supplied with it.

I assume that it will be o.k. to just add a bit of silicone sealer when fitting the new one.

Has anyone had experience of fitting a new immersion heater in a motorhome before - and if so - can they recommend any particular silicone sealer ( seem to be several types on the market ).

Thanks

I believe you own a 2003 Murvi Morello and what you are talking about is normally referred to as a “calorifier” not an “immersion heater”. Murvi was one of the few motorhome converters to fit calorifiers, so one might anticipate that few forum members will have done what you are planning and can advise about which silicone sealant might be best.

Have you tried asking Murvi and/or whoever you will be getting the replacement calorifier from?

(How about putting “2003 Murvi Morello” in the Location field of your forum Profile? Otherwise, when it would be useful to know the make/model/year of the motorhome to try to address an enquiry, it means either asking the enquirer for that information or trawling through the enquirer’s previous postings in the hope that identifying the motorhome will be possible. Identifying the motorhome via the Profile’s Location field avoids the need for either of those approaches and I dearly wish every forum member would do this. See “New Members - PLEASE READ” thread at top of this forum’s list of entries.)

Derek Uzzell - 2018-06-07 9:03 AM

I believe you own a 2003 Murvi Morello and what you are talking about is normally referred to as a “calorifier” not an “immersion heater”. Murvi was one of the few motorhome converters to fit calorifiers, so one might anticipate that few forum members will have done what you are planning and can advise about which silicone sealant might be best.

Have you tried asking Murvi and/or whoever you will be getting the replacement calorifier from?

The calorifier is the tank unit fitted by Murvi - and the immersion heater which I am replacing screws into the top of the calorifier.

Whenever I need info specific to my Morello I include the model / year in the question ( and I would encourage others to do the same if they haven't added their van details permanently ) - however I didn't regard a silicone sealer as being specific to any particular model.

Murvi have put me in touch with the supplier of the immersion heater and I am awaiting their response regarding recommendations for the sealer, but from past experience on the forum I reckon there is always a good chance that someone else has " been there / done that " and comes up with a solution.

For clarity I attach a pic of the heater that I am replacing.

188959822_VANImm2old.jpg.90792dbb0e5c82c8ba8d1a1eb79b5f4f.jpg

As a follow up, which may help someone else at some time, I have been advised by the suppliers that it is not essential to use a sealer but to ensure a good tight seal only a light smear of a plumbers clear silicone sealer is needed.

Just enough to take up any slightly uneven surfaces.

Archived