New MOHO whit Underbody 20 kg LPG tank.

My van was fitted by the converter with an underslung Autogas 2000 LPG tank. It has a "GasIt" LED level gauge on the dashboard, which is only active with the ignition on.

Reading the attached, the tank has to be fitted with a compatible sender unit for the gauge to operate, so presumably whether or not it could be retro-fitted would depend on whether the already fitted underslung tank was able to accommodate the sender unit.

The gauge seems to work well.

https://www.gasit.co.uk/leisure-gas-refillable-products/15-gas-level-remote-contents-indication/gas-it-9-led-contents-gauge.html

200641473_GasItgauge.jpg.7b803056341af6ae8a094cab26acf98c.jpg

Our 3027 Autotrail 610SE PVC is fitted with an underbody gas tank which we are told takes 25 litres - in practice this is actually 20. There is a 'readout' of about 8 LEDS in a small unit stuck on to the dashboard to the right of the steering column. This only work with the engine running, and is almost impossible to see when you look at it as its at the wrong angle..its also quite inaccurate, but so far I rely on filling up after each main trip away, ...it does seem to show full when actually driving...

I remember a conversation with an Auto-Sleepers PVC owner about LPG tanks.

He told me that it could be cheaper on campsites in Spain to use gas instead of 230V electricity, but it was really hard with his motorhome to know how much LPG remained in the underfloor gas-tank.

He said the tank itself had a contents-gauge, but this was behind a cover and the remote gauge in the cab only functioned when the vehicle’s motor was running. I asked if that was indeed the case (rather than just the vehicle’s ignition being switched on) and he confirmed that it was. I then said something like “When you are on a Spanish campsite, can’t you just start your motorhome’s engine every now and again to check the gas-tank’s contents?” and was told that doing this would be “Very bad for the motor”. I lost heart at that point...

Archived