Nostalgia

flicka

My first motorhome was a one year old Voyager II. We called it The Trundler because it was so slow - non turbo. The kids loved the magic wand in the floor (gear stick) which made it go slightly faster. On our first journey, we marvelled at the growl from the engine. On the way home, we heard a couple of pings and saw bolts bouncing on the road. The growl was caused by 3 loose engine mountings and one missing mounting. The pings by two sheared engine mountings getting free. The AA fitted new bolts to get us home and the dealer later fixed the problem permanently.

We traded it in after a year to get passenger seatbelts for our children on the new Sevel base.

Nostalgia does matter!

My first van was a self converted ex GPO Morris Minor van (with rubber front wings!), followed by a self converted Mini Van after the engine blew on the Minor, followed by a very high mileage Bedford CA Dormobile 1507cc three speed column change (when it felt like it) (genuine Martin Walter, also genuinely knackered!)

There then followed a sequance of J4, Transit, and Commer vans all very tired and cheap examples, followed by a succession of petrol CF's from 1600cc to 2300cc before we hit the heady heights of the 'new'ish Talbot Express followed by Boxer/Ducatos.

All together some 23 vans in over 50 years and 300,000 miles - and I'm still learning!!

My father was an explorer - not literally, but he went Silver City to Normandy, France with my Mother on bicycles in 1952, then in 1953 the family went the same route in a Morris 8 with a scout bell tent on the roof. Then in the mid 1950's we got our first motorhome - the Ford Thames van which he converted with rear windows & rear seats which went flat. My sister & I slept in the back in eiderdowns sewn into bags. We then graduated in about 1958-9 to the Martin Walter Dormobile. This black one was the first and we had 2 more. We went to Portugal in the black one around 1959-60.
Great holidays which gave me the bug!

998464919_thamesvansmall.thumb.jpg.a4f6c45e64657460021e1c8b33a4264c.jpg

198329763_blackdormobilesmall.thumb.jpg.1239a335e79b854797f7becc21e0a593.jpg

Archived