Is This Racist ???

antony1969

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Tracker - 2018-06-21 9:45 AM

If one of our dark skinned brethren had said the same thing about the England team would that have been racist?

Oh no, sorry, I forgot, it's not racist to make jokes about white folks

It's clearly been a good few years since you've seen a photo of the England football team.. :-S

I suppose you have to ask yourself would any Senegalese players or their citizens find it funny or offensive?

Of course its racist but is it funny or just offensive? The fact that its from an unknown (to them) rich Lord from England they probably would find it offensive. He should have known that.

Without suggesting that there is one definition of racism, as it is a subject over which there is no universally accepted definition, this one I found in an internet dictionary seems to support the view that Sugar’s tweet was racist. It was defined as

“The belief that all members of each race possess characteristics, abilities, or qualities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races”.

The tweet applied a derogatory stereotype to the Senegalese team suggesting that they resembled African hawkers of cheap and fake goods on Marbella beaches.

I hear what Rich says but I would suggest you could denigrate the English team if you were to apply a common and derogatory stereotype of English people. Alan Sugar has acknowledged that his tweet was derogatory. I don’t belief he is a closet racist he just thought as it was meant to be a joke it couldn’t be deemed racist.He should have realised that it was akin to putting a picture of a Jews counting their money under an Israeli team.

Violet1956 - 2018-06-21 11:14 AM

Without suggesting that there is one definition of racism, as it is a subject over which there is no universally accepted definition, this one I found in an internet dictionary seems to support the view that Sugar’s tweet was racist. It was defined as

“The belief that all members of each race possess characteristics, abilities, or qualities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races”.

The tweet applied a derogatory stereotype to the Senegalese team suggesting that they resembled African hawkers of cheap and fake goods on Marbella beaches.

I hear what Rich says but I would suggest you could denigrate the English team if you were to apply a common and derogatory stereotype of English people. Alan Sugar has acknowledged that his tweet was derogatory. I don’t belief he is a closet racist he just thought as it was meant to be a joke it couldn’t be deemed racist. He should have realised that it was akin to putting a picture of a Jews counting their money under an Israeli team.

Yes it was a pretty crass thing to post but that's typical Twitter. Not quite the same but i remember watching an episode of "Four Rooms" where people bring in objects of interest to try and make a deal with the four collectors/antiques experts. One guy brought in a model he'd crafted from metal covered in gold leaf......of the entrance to Auschwitz-Birkenau. He got no bidders as each told him whilst it was well made, it would not sell as many people would deem it offensive.

Bulletguy - 2018-06-21 11:43 AM

Meantime here is Englands 2018 multi ethnic squad. Any 'jokes' about them? :-S

Q: What's the difference between the England team and a teabag?

A: A teabag could stay in the cup for longer.

I like this one too -

Q: Why wasn't Jesus born in England?

A: God couldn't find three wise men and a virgin.

Violet1956 - 2018-06-21 11:14 AM

I hear what Rich says but I would suggest you could denigrate the English team if you were to apply a common and derogatory stereotype of English people. Alan Sugar has acknowledged that his tweet was derogatory. I don’t belief he is a closet racist he just thought as it was meant to be a joke it couldn’t be deemed racist.He should have realised that it was akin to putting a picture of a Jews counting their money under an Israeli team.

But why was it derogatory ... It didn't suggest they peddle cheap goods did it thats come from you ... You've added what you think he meant ... Dont get me wrong they do sell cheap tack and we all know that but he didnt say that ... Had someone made a comment on a team picture full of ginger haired folk , all bald blokes or all blokes with beards I reckon nothing would have been said so why is this different ... Is it simply because they are black

Tracker - 2018-06-21 11:52 AM

Bulletguy - 2018-06-21 11:43 AM

Meantime here is Englands 2018 multi ethnic squad. Any 'jokes' about them? :-S

Q: What's the difference between the England team and a teabag?

A: A teabag could stay in the cup for longer.

I like this one too -

Q: Why wasn't Jesus born in England?

A: God couldn't find three wise men and a virgin.

Nice one Rich but not quite true ... The 3 wise men could be found right here Bullet , Veronica and Brian and the virgin of course is Barry

Tracker - 2018-06-21 11:36 AM

If you saw the photo and have spent any time on the beaches of Southern Spain you would better understand the joke.

Yeah unfortunately I have been to Marbella (once was enough) so we get the joke and it is racist. Your joke above about the England team just infers they are crap so is not racist.

I was once in a Sauna with a football team some of whom were black. One of the team officials came in and said "Blimey! I didnt think you chocolate drops would come in here, wont you melt?". Now thats far worse than what Sugar said but it was dead funny, everyone including the Black guys fell about laughing. The difference was that they knew him and despite it being blatantly a racist joke they knew it was a bit of fun from someone they know. That joke from Sugar probably would have been unoffensive in a similar situation but an employee of the BBC and a member of parliament broadcasting it to the world on Twitter? Bad move.

antony1969 - 2018-06-21 12:02 PM

Nice one Rich but not quite true ... The 3 wise men could be found right here Bullet , Veronica and Brian and the virgin of course is Barry

I do worry about your judgement at times Antony, but I would not want to offend any of the famous four, so I will say no more, except that it is a relief that neither you or I are deemed wise or a virgin!

Tracker - 2018-06-21 11:36 AM

If you saw the photo and have spent any time on the beaches of Southern Spain you would better understand the joke.

I do understand the joke Rich. But a joke can also be racist.

There are of course degrees of offensiveness as far a racist jokes go. I'm not saying Sugar's tweet was one of the worst examples but it did cross the line into the offensive category.

Violet1956 - 2018-06-21 12:17 PM

There are of course degrees of offensiveness as far a racist jokes go. I'm not saying Sugar's tweet was one of the worst examples but it did cross the line into the offensive category.

That is your view Veronica, my view differs as I do not subscribe to the politically correct views where the least scent of a joke or banter causes a knee jerk immediate outrage and offence.

Tracker - 2018-06-21 12:10 PM

I do worry about your judgement at times Antony, but I would not want to offend any of the famous four, so I will say no more, except that it is a relief that neither you or I are deemed wise or a virgin!

Barry is kind of a virgin ... With ladies he is thats for sure ... Hes never managed to stay dry any further past the hello stage ... He does have a friend on here though thats man loved him ... Its obvious to all who it is as they have that special relationship ... Sometimes you can just tell by looking at 2 blokes cant ya ... As long as they are happy I suppose and it saves the local sheep from suffering who are we to judge ... Maybe our first Chatterbox wedding Mr and Mr BullBarry

Guest pelmetman

The "Thought Fascists" are everywhere now days just waiting to be offended *-) .........

It's like those feminist fascists who jump up and down at the thought of blokes ogling a sexy woman.........Yet curiously a half naked Poldark is OK.......Ruddy hypocrites the lot of them >:-) .......

Tracker - 2018-06-21 12:23 PM

Violet1956 - 2018-06-21 12:17 PM

That is your view Veronica, my view differs as I do not subscribe to the politically correct views where the least scent of a joke or banter causes a knee jerk immediate outrage and offence.

I don’t seek to denigrate your view Rich. We each believe we’re right on this and it is unlikely that we are going to change each other’s view. What I would say is that the accusation that something is an example of “political correctness” has become a bit of a “catch all” pejorative term used to defend the indefensible at times. I accept there are also daft excesses of zeal and some people seem to be determined to be offended on the thinnest of grounds and that can be very irritating as well as doing nothing for the cause they claim to support.

antony1969 - 2018-06-21 12:27 PM

Barry is kind of a virgin ... With ladies he is thats for sure ... Hes never managed to stay dry any further past the hello stage ... He does have a friend on here though thats man loved him ... Its obvious to all who it is as they have that special relationship ... Sometimes you can just tell by looking at 2 blokes cant ya ... As long as they are happy I suppose and it saves the local sheep from suffering who are we to judge ... Maybe our first Chatterbox wedding Mr and Mr BullBarry

You can easily tell Antony as you clearly have "Gaydar" but on this occasion it must have malfunctioned. I know that your very envious of my history with the Laydeeez but you have Dave so don't be Jealous. Bullet is right, you always appear at the same time. I reckon your sat in bed together sharing an iPad (Which is a type of Gay computer anyway).

Did I show you my photo of me and a smouldering Taylor Swift? Probably but here it is again anyway. You can save it to put on your bedroom wall if you like, Just cut her out. (lol)

358298457_BazandTaylorBreakfast.jpg.926518d94475d2e3d7ab340f89f36e35.jpg

pelmetman - 2018-06-21 12:40 PM

The "Thought Fascists" are everywhere now days just waiting to be offended *-) .........

It's like those feminist fascists who jump up and down at the thought of blokes ogling a sexy woman.........Yet curiously a half naked Poldark is OK.......Ruddy hypocrites the lot of them >:-) .......

Not comparable. As Veronica posted it was akin to posting a picture of Jews counting their money under an Israeli team. Somehow i doubt that would have been viewed as 'a joke' and undoubtedly incurred outrage. So why the difference? Both have racist undertones even if thinly veiled.

Similarly Veronica, I respect your view, but I grow weary of being told not (not by you I hasten to add) to say anything that could be interpreted as contoversial.

Everyone should have the right of reply and it should not be beyond the wit of mankind to have a similar pop at Alan Sugar - not the sweetest sugar lump around!

Guest pelmetman
malc d - 2018-06-21 1:18 PM

The answer is simple.

If you put a remark like that on social media, for all the world to see, it may well be seen by many as racist.

If you just say it to your mates in the pub it will upset no-one.

:-|

True ;-) .......Perhaps some of us just do it on purpose to annoy the PC brigade :D ...........

Well a blokes gotta have a hobby ain't he? >:-) ........

Barryd999 - 2018-06-21 1:00 PM

You can easily tell Antony as you clearly have "Gaydar" but on this occasion it must have malfunctioned. I know that your very envious of my history with the Laydeeez but you have Dave so don't be Jealous. Bullet is right, you always appear at the same time. I reckon your sat in bed together sharing an iPad (Which is a type of Gay computer anyway).

Did I show you my photo of me and a smouldering Taylor Swift? Probably but here it is again anyway. You can save it to put on your bedroom wall if you like, Just cut her out. (lol)

You've more chance of a score with that cheap bottle of Aldi wine your holding ... Looks to me like youve erased your boyfriend off here out of the pic with Taylor ??? ... Listen I for one think its nice that a mid 50s bloke as in you fancies a really old bloke ... That pic of a young 12 year old Barry in bed though with another could end up with charges brought against that another ... Maybe best to remove it

antony1969 - 2018-06-21 3:08 PM

Barryd999 - 2018-06-21 1:00 PM

You've more chance of a score with that cheap bottle of Aldi wine your holding ... Looks to me like youve erased your boyfriend off here out of the pic with Taylor ??? ... Listen I for one think its nice that a mid 50s bloke as in you fancies a really old bloke ... That pic of a young 12 year old Barry in bed though with another could end up with charges brought against that another ... Maybe best to remove it

I Take offence that you think I would shop at Aldi. That will be Tescos Finest Champagne ill have you know!!

And im not 12 even though I look it. That was taken just a few years ago before I ate all the pies.

If you dont believe that one then worrabout this one of me taking Shakira for a walk up the garden path at the back of her place. 8-)

I dont have those deck shoes anymore by the way. Look how she smiles adoringly, trying to take my hand but Im all aloof, not trying too hard. "Hips dont lie" I wrote that and taught her how to dance. How do you think I fund being an idle Bastud?

1841577377_BazandShakirabeforetheywerebothfamous(Custom).jpg.bc1e6e4f73673c629c2f629d92ded4ba.jpg

Archived