Who'd be a delivery driver?

Violet1956

Just tracked a parcel due to be delivered by well known delivery company to discover the driver has 129 drops to make today of which I am number 71 in the queue. 129 drops in a day seems to be ridiculous. I wonder whether he also had to load the van. Respect to the people that have to work so hard. I wonder if they get to rest, eat and what time they get home. :-(

I agree. Many of these guys are deemed to be self employed as a get out of responsibility of employment by their respective companies, so not only no sick pay, holidays or pensions but some also have to lease their own van as part of that quasi self employment. I understand the rewards are not high and the hours long.

Yet another abuse of the so called 'gig' economy where alleged cost cutting seems to result in good profits for the company at the expense of employee well being.

Perhaps I am wrong in my perceptions, I hope so, but doubt it as we do seem to be living in the greed economy era.

Where I used to live bloke next door was a self employed delivery driver ... He had the top delivery run for the firm and worked pretty hard but no harder than any other self employed person ... He made a nice wage and paid the mortgage off pretty quickly off the back of it ... I know 2 others that worked delivering who didn't earn as much because they had weaker rounds ... Same with anything when self employed you earn what you put in and you find among the delivery drivers they often swap rounds because one may find it too difficult or another wants a better round

antony1969 - 2018-06-22 12:06 PM

Same with anything when self employed you earn what you put in

Not always Antony, there is an element of good fortune in everything and if the business model is wrong then no matter how hard you work you will never make a good income.

Similarly many people lack the appropriate skills to be self employed or are given a business plan that does not work, for example we see so many new shops opening with a blaze of shiny new fittings only to be gone a few months later because they are inappropriate for the location. We feel so sorry for the poor owners as someone must have given them bad advice when it is pretty obvious to many of us that it will struggle.

When we had a shop/post office I refitted with cheap second hand fittings until we had built up the turnover enough to know that it worked but then I had to appreciate the limitations of us, our location, the type of customer, the hours we were prepared to open without the need for more staff etc before spending a fortune on new fittings. The business model just did not stack up, no matter how much extra t/o per opening hours we realistically projected the net profit would never make the investment worthwhile so we left it as it was and made a very satifactory income with a lot less hassle than development would have entailed.

Violet1956 - 2018-06-22 9:58 AM

Just tracked a parcel due to be delivered by well known delivery company to discover the driver has 129 drops to make today of which I am number 71 in the queue. 129 drops in a day seems to be ridiculous. I wonder whether he also had to load the van. Respect to the people that have to work so hard. I wonder if they get to rest, eat and what time they get home. :-(

Yes it's pretty ludicrous. The pressure on them is enormous and exceeding speed limits to meet their 'targets' is common. I remember reading such a case (when speeding offences used to be dealt with in courts) where a delivery driver was caught speeding but when the judge heard of his workload he summoned the managing director to attend and explain how he felt any driver could achieve such a 'target' without breaking the law.

A couple of years ago i had a new washing machine delivered and they were expected to install and run water through to check all was ok before leaving. He left home at 0430hr and often wasn't back home until 1900hr.

When my son left the forces he drove class 1 HGV's for a short spell before gaining a place with LFB and he had some pretty bonkers 'drops'. Pallets of fizzy drinks picked up in Birmingham then dropped off at various supermarkets in London. You would think there'd be a manufacturer more local and wonder how the company made a profit. His most unusual load was a truck full of bras and knickers for M&S stores! (lol)

. Same with anything when self employed you earn what you put in

Lots of businesses fail despite enourmous hard work.

Most common mistake I have seen is people doing what they want to do - even where the market is already saturated. Like opening cafes and bars in Benidorm ...

Violet1956 - 2018-06-22 9:58 AM

I sympathise with anyone driving in London and being confronted with the plethora of signs and road markings to read whilst driving in heavy traffic, trying to navigate and find a delivery point ..

It gets worse when you factor in congestion and fines. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/resources/idt-sh/How_debt_kills

John52 - 2018-06-22 2:41 PM

Most common mistake I have seen is people doing what they want to do - even where the market is already saturated. Like opening cafes and bars in Benidorm ...

English pubs flogging warm beer or the burger bars is why brits like Pelmet go there. They feel 'at home'. ;-)

If you put in enormous hard work and fail then your in the wrong business or selling shabby products surely

I dunno how anyone makes a living doing deliveries or courier work especially round here. Its so cheap to send a parcel now your going to have to be going some to make it pay. If it costs me say seven quid to sent a computer to the other end of the country and someone has to drive all the way out here to pick it up how the hell can they make money on that? The next pick up could be ten miles away. I tend to take mine to a collection point in Barnard castle.

People want everything cheap though now. Its one thing saying its slave labour or exploiting people but I bet most wouldn't be prepared to pay double for a courier.

antony1969 - 2018-06-22 4:58 PM

If you put in enormous hard work and fail then your in the wrong business or selling shabby products surely

Not at all, bad business models, unrealistic projections, too much debt, wrong location all play their part to bring down the unwary business.

Barryd999 - 2018-06-22 5:52 PM

People want everything cheap though now. Its one thing saying its slave labour or exploiting people but I bet most wouldn't be prepared to pay double for a courier.

Thats why Royal Mail have virtually gone to the wall. They were slow to catch on to internet trading (ebay etc) and so restrictive on small package dimensions, it didn't take long for sites such as Parcel2Go to knock 'em for six. Not to mention RM's pricing is horrendous.

Tracker - 2018-06-22 6:04 PM

antony1969 - 2018-06-22 4:58 PM

Not at all, bad business models, unrealistic projections, too much debt, wrong location all play their part to bring down the unwary business.

So they'd be in the wrong business then Rich to be fair ... If you fail because of those reasons youve stated then youve not done your homework and homework is a major part of making any business succeed

Bulletguy - 2018-06-22 6:05 PM

Barryd999 - 2018-06-22 5:52 PM

Thats why Royal Mail have virtually gone to the wall. They were slow to catch on to internet trading (ebay etc) and so restrictive on small package dimensions, it didn't take long for sites such as Parcel2Go to knock 'em for six. Not to mention RM's pricing is horrendous.

Maybe so but you pays yer money yer takes yer choice. Its a bit of a gamble with couriers now with them being so cheap. Most of the stuff I send out is beer money sales on Ebay so I Dont bother insuring it, not that its generally worth taking out anyway as there are that many restrictions. The stuff I Flog usually stands me at nothing just a bit of time but occasionally I have to send something out valuable and to do it properly with Parcel force with say £500 insurance guaranteed next day is four or five times the price than one of the cheapies with Parcel2go which I generally use. I Would rather they were all a few quid more and more reliable with a reasonable cost for insurance that is actually worth having.

People just look at the bottom line though now so its driven down cost to the point where its totally unreliable to the customer and those that are doing the work in most cases barely scratch a living.

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2018-06-22 2:51 PM

English pubs flogging warm beer or the burger bars is why brits like Pelmet go there. They feel 'at home'. ;-)

Incorrect ;-) ........a 3 course meal including wine for 12 quid a head is why I feel at home........Oh and a nice view B-) ..........

P1010216.JPG.a8e39bd80788bb333e1368e8142e79ae.JPG

Whats wrong with that if thats what they like ??? ... Bit of snobbery creeping in with that comment

pelmetman - 2018-06-23 8:22 AM

Incorrect ;-) ........a 3 course meal including wine for 12 quid a head is why I feel at home........Oh and a nice view B-) ..........

You can get a 3 course meal and wine for 12 quid at home Dave? (lol)

I doubt you would get a starter for much less than 12 quid here anymore. 8o|

pelmetman - 2018-06-23 8:22 AM

Hells teeth......that's expensive, tho' admittedly i don't go for 3 courses. One decent size meal with beers and espresso's is enough for me and i've been told i've got to cut down by my GP.....probably as she's given up on trying to get me to quit smoking.

antony1969 - 2018-06-23 9:22 AM

Whats wrong with that if thats what they like ??? ... Bit of snobbery creeping in with that comment.

When in Rome etc as the saying goes. All about cultural development.....nothing snobbish in that.

Why go to Spain and drink Brit beer and eat burgers when you do that at home. Whatever country i'm in i ask for their beers, something local, and try their national foods.

Guest pelmetman

We still do the same in Blighty ;-) .......3 course meal, bottle of the house red.......66 quid 8-) ........

That's more than half a weeks campsite fees in Spain for a fully serviced pitch >:-) .........

pelmetman - 2018-06-23 11:19 PM

We still do the same in Blighty ;-) .......3 course meal, bottle of the house red.......66 quid 8-) ........

Well restaurants are going bust every day, so ts not as if they are making a lot on it.

Wages and food prices are about the same

So why the big difference?

Tax on the bottle of wine of course, but thats only a couple of quid.

Biggest difference I can see seems to be property prices - rent etc.

John52 - 2018-06-24 5:35 AM

pelmetman - 2018-06-23 11:19 PM

Well restaurants are going bust every day, so ts not as if they are making a lot on it.

Wages and food prices are about the same

So why the big difference?

Tax on the bottle of wine of course, but thats only a couple of quid.

Biggest difference I can see seems to be property prices - rent etc.

Wages are lower in most of East Europe John but the foods, quality and service you get (in my opinion) is much better than UK. I never have 3 course meals, one is enough as i like a few beers if not driving. I'm paying here on average 750 - 950 RSD (about £6/7) for a fresh cooked meal, couple of beers and espressos. That's restaurant price but you can pay much less at a snack bar place.

Cigarettes, i always smoke Marlboro 100's Gold when out of UK. Here in Serbia a pack of 20 is £2.50......UK price £10.75.

This website is good for comparing prices between countries;

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_countries_result.jsp?country1=United+Kingdom&country2=Serbia

Bulletguy - 2018-06-23 11:36 AM

antony1969 - 2018-06-23 9:22 AM

Whats wrong with that if thats what they like ??? ... Bit of snobbery creeping in with that comment.

When in Rome etc as the saying goes. All about cultural development.....nothing snobbish in that.

Why go to Spain and drink Brit beer and eat burgers when you do that at home. Whatever country i'm in i ask for their beers, something local, and try their national foods.

Well they sell the beer and burgers those type of folk like so who's problem would that be ??? ... Im with you ill drink and eat anything g but British when away not that I do traditional British at home anyway

Archived