Non expiring sim

weldted

Hi looking for a sim that doesn't expire after thirty days for installing in a tracker. Needs to work on 2g network. Have one with o2 but can't seem to get another one. Given needs only one text a month seems silly to pay out for the ones that either expire after thirty days.

A Three network 1-2-3 SIM will meet your needs.

Load it up with £10 and it'll last years.

I have one in my device to use as a tracker. Its been going two years now and still has credit on it.

When it goes low I'll top it up and start again.

V.

Might be worth a try, or enquiring in the Three shop.

My Three phone sends texts without a 3g signal.

FWIW, I use an old iPhone as a van tracker.

Using the “find my iPhone” app, it locates the van in an instant.

Handy as I store it away from home.

Hidden away in the van, with a small timer to keep it charged, it’s cost very little to install and maintain.

Works for me!! :)

V.

My tracker came with a Lyca Mobile SIM with £5 on it and it's been in the motorhome since mid April and not needed a top up. Just checked and it's still working OK.

Wrote up the fitting of it in July's MMM if you're interested in how very easy it is to fit.

I've never heard of this 30 day expiry? I have an ordinary EE payg SIM in the GSM dialler for our house alarm. I top it up with £5 whenever it has less than £5 left on it, which has been very infrequent, and just ensure it sends a status or test text to our mobiles once every 6 months.

Deneb - 2018-06-22 6:28 PM

I've never heard of this 30 day expiry? I have an ordinary EE payg SIM in the GSM dialler for our house alarm. I top it up with £5 whenever it has less than £5 left on it, which has been very infrequent, and just ensure it sends a status or test text to our mobiles once every 6 months.

Deneb,

May I advise you to sure that you make sure that your dialler sends a text every 180 days maximum.

Most PAYG accounts are lost (not just the credit) after a set period of inactivity, typically 6 months, but EE, and Virgin are slightly less at 180 days. If you purchase a pack or addon with your credit, this could last as little as seven days, but with attractive rates for the defined period.

The best overall PAYG rates may be ASDA Mobile. Their PAYG has restrictions after 180 days, but credit is not lost until 270 days inactivity. ASDA use EE as airtime provider, so coverage is good.

The cheapest PAYG rates are from THREE, but you must have a 3G capable device

Alan

Alanb - 2018-06-23 2:27 PM

Deneb,

May I advise you to sure that you make sure that your dialler sends a text every 180 days maximum.

Most PAYG accounts are lost (not just the credit) after a set period of inactivity, typically 6 months, but EE, and Virgin are slightly less at 180 days. If you purchase a pack or addon with your credit, this could last as little as seven days, but with attractive rates for the defined period.

Thank you Alan. I'm sure it used to be 6 months, but I have checked the T&Cs on my account, and 180 days is correct as you say.

The EE SIM is a carry over from when I used to have a mobile phone and two other SIMs on the same account. I've since transferred my phone across to PlusNet, who are also on the EE network and give me unlimited texts and calls, plus more data than I ever need, for £9 a month on a rolling monthly contract - cheaper than my previous PAYG usage charges! The only costs incurred on the alarm system are 15p per text message on any alarm activation or test transmission/status response. I don't need to top it up very often ;-)

Archived