ultra box warning sign

gp1

Hi just been on liesureshop direct and their warning signs to go on ultrabox are 40 pounds. It says they are legally required in places like hungary and poland but no mention of uk. Also i notice that on the ultrabox sales photos they dont have a sign on theirs. The fiamma red logo is pretty visible. Do i need to spend 40 pounds on one if i want to use the box? Also have not found anywhere that tells me how to fit it although i do have a bag of screws and bolts.Thanks.

No you don't need spend anywhere near that amount! 8-)

I bought mine from this place in Glasgow......for just £6.95 and even with postage it was still cheaper than i could buy locally. I've bought many accessories off this guy and thoroughly recommend him. He's very helpful too.

https://www.thecaravanshop.co.uk/fiamma-carry-bike/spares/carry-bike-alu-plastic-sign/fiamma-carry-bike-plastic-signal/prod_1114.html

They have four eyelets and i attach mine using two bungee cords. A better way would be using an adhesive to stick it permanently on the box. They are legally required in all Europe but UK don't bother so much.

Hey great ill check him out. Yes you would think that a plastic flexible sheet would be enough as in an L plate - after all thats a very heavey car hurtling towards you (learner driver) and hgvs just have stick on ones. But on the site it says it is a legal requirement for it to be aluminium but not sure if that uk. Anyway yes im going for the cheap ones or even a hi viz jacket like scaffolders use. Cheers.

Looks an amazing site thanks very much. Wonder why the liesureshop direct didnt stock them. And its fammia so should be legal for the uk. Do you know if its a long job fitting a box? Is it fairly self evident where everything goes. Also ive never seen a soft carry bag on a roofrack of a motorhome before. Saw one earlier for 24 quid. With straps that buckle to the rack itself. Ill see if they have any on that site. Cheers.

We had an ultra box for many years. But changed it for a bag, as the box is quiet heavy, and we where short on weight. Must say the box was easier, for storage, BUt do check your van weight, before you start adding weighty additions to your van

PJay

gp1 - 2018-06-24 12:35 PM

Looks an amazing site thanks very much. Wonder why the liesureshop direct didnt stock them. And its fammia so should be legal for the uk. Do you know if its a long job fitting a box? Is it fairly self evident where everything goes. Also ive never seen a soft carry bag on a roofrack of a motorhome before. Saw one earlier for 24 quid. With straps that buckle to the rack itself. Ill see if they have any on that site. Cheers.

Van or m/h has to fitted with a bike rack (usually Fiamma) to take a box. Racks vary in design and fixture points according to make/model type of van or m/h. The box is then clamped to the rack using U bolts. Easy enough to fit but i'd recommend having the rack fitted professionally. Also the type of van determines max size of box you can fit as some are quite large.

As far as i'm aware you have no van yet? If not then you may be jumping the gun a bit here as many used vans come with racks already fitted.

Thanks for reply i have a van with a bike rack and went all the way back to where i bought it to get the box. Havent fitted it yet as been quite fond of parking sensor in the cramped place i store. But i think it would be good to try it. U bolts? Seem to be alot of bolts and bits in the bag. Guess time will tell if i use it. Its not too heavy although if you pack it with stuff guess would be a strain on the back wall? I dont know. Anyway thanks ill get the sticker and if i get the time ill have a go. Thanks! Oh yes wieght. So if you are caught or are involved in accident while overwieght what happens. Im no good at wieghts. Havent a clue as never caught a fish and dont cook and babies wieght was just superfluous detail. I just know im 11 stone. I could do it in objects. Like you can carry 2 and half people or one baby elephant or 24 pairs of shoes.

gp1 - 2018-06-24 4:55 PM

Thanks for reply i have a van with a bike rack and went all the way back to where i bought it to get the box. Havent fitted it yet as been quite fond of parking sensor in the cramped place i store. But i think it would be good to try it. U bolts? Seem to be alot of bolts and bits in the bag. Guess time will tell if i use it. Its not too heavy although if you pack it with stuff guess would be a strain on the back wall? I dont know. Anyway thanks ill get the sticker and if i get the time ill have a go. Thanks! Oh yes wieght. So if you are caught or are involved in accident while overwieght what happens. Im no good at wieghts. Havent a clue as never caught a fish and dont cook and babies wieght was just superfluous detail. I just know im 11 stone. I could do it in objects. Like you can carry 2 and half people or one baby elephant or 24 pairs of shoes.

Gp1 - there are strict regulations regarding weights. The main ones are Gross Vehicle Weight, Front and Rear Axle Weights and Gross Train Weight (if you intend towing anything) that you are not permitted to go over. The relevant weights for your vehicle will be stamped on a plate usually found under the bonnet on the front vehicle rail but sometimes my be on a door pillar. You must find this and ensure you don't go over theses weights. Not sure if you know also that if you passed your driving test after 1 January 1997 you will not be allowed to drive a vehicle that is over 3500 kgs gross vehicle weight. Many Motorhomes are plated over that weight (usually to increase the payload available) and if you do not have category C1 on your licence you will be restricted to 3500kgs GVW unless you take an additional test to drive up to 7500kgs. So it is really important that you now read up on weights and perhaps search the forum for 'vehicle weights' to get the information you need. One final thing (that may come up in that search) regarding your ultra box is that the more weight you put onto a box or bike rack that is behind the rear axle the heavier the rear axle is loaded and, due to the fulcrum effect, will place more weight on the axle than the actual weight put on the rack/box. It will also lift weight off the fron axle and affect steering and handling.

I know there's a lot to learn but this subject is becoming more important as being involved in an accident when overweight (either axle or vehicle weight) could invalidate your insurance and lead to prosecution.

David

Thanks thats brilliant advise and tonnes of it ! Yes it is important. So sorry to have led you to believe i am a total disaster waiting to happen. Af the moment we are just going to camp sites in wales so only a couple of hours drive from home. Its surprising what you accumulate as far as accessories go but i havent had van that long so still trying to get hold of a hose pipe and a spanner. Everyone on campsite last time had full toolkits in their cars / vans. Yes im starting to get a hang of the wieght thing. Gross wieght is for when your crossing a bridge ? And your vehicle must not exceed that wieght (or your liscence wont allow you to). Axel wieght is the wieght on the back axel which.... hang on have to re read your message. Also i passed my test before 1997 when people were more sensible. Get back to you im a sec. Basically i suppose if you were going a long way for a long time taking food and all your belongings with you. Kayaks. Bikes. 3 months worth of rice. Basically a world trip. You would want to visit a wiegh station.

Yes the fulcrum effect is something ive thought of as its a medium wheelbase and the back sticks out miles.the only stuff i can think of to put in there is cleaning stuff tools and power leads hosepipes. Basically what you would put in a side locker on a different style motorhome. I will read up on wieghts though and yes the roof is good cos its more over the rear axle. Yes should be interesting reading cos it affects handling and stopping distances. Thanks.

p.s. i might try a journey with it just to see if it stays on ok. Tailing people over the bridge with bikes tied to the backs of their panel vans fills me with horror.

Archived