Physical copy of V5C?

robdav

Hi

I understand you need to have your V5C with you when driving in France but does it have to be the original document or can it be a copy or a scanned version on your laptop?

Does anyone know for sure please?

Thanks

Robert

Having been stopped twice in France for checks, the police will accept (in my cases) a copy of the insurance and mot, the original log book or a receipt of a hire company and original driving licence.

If I could not produce my driving licence or the original log book they would of impounded the van. Only releasing it on proof of ownership (registered keep) or proof of holding a driving licence. Admittedly on one occasion I had turned left having missed the sign no left turn!

Charles - 2018-06-25 6:31 PMI just take a copy so the original is safe at home. If anybody wants to see the original... Tough.Oh, I've also got a photo of it in my phone.

That sounds arrogant and risky to me.  The requirement to have the original is clearly stated, so if you get stopped and cannot produce it you may face the consequences.  Why take that risk for the sake of having the right piece of paper with you?

StuartO - 2018-06-26 7:30 AM
Charles - 2018-06-25 6:31 PMI just take a copy so the original is safe at home. If anybody wants to see the original... Tough.Oh, I've also got a photo of it in my phone.

That sounds arrogant and risky to me.  The requirement to have the original is clearly stated, so if you get stopped and cannot produce it you may face the consequences.  Why take that risk for the sake of having the right piece of paper with you?

Hi StuartYou mentioned "The requirement to have the original is clearly stated" where is that stated, that's what I'm after.Many thanksRobert

robdav - 2018-06-26 8:54 AM
StuartO - 2018-06-26 7:30 AM

Hi StuartYou mentioned "The requirement to have the original is clearly stated" where is that stated, that's what I'm after.Many thanksRobert
Don't worry, I found it stated here https://www.gov.uk/guidance/vehicle-documents-required-for-international-road-haulage

Archived