Downsizing large camper to van conversion

sandalwood

We faced the same dilemma 4 years ago. Our choice was whittled down to an Autotrail Imala or a similar van to the Rapido (can’t remember exactly what). Decided on the Imala, the PCV was just a downsize too far. Still happy with our choice.

Ian - We dithered for over six years before taking the plunge and buying an IH N630RL. Great all round van but everything was just that bit too small, plus we were forever getting in each other’s way. A costly mistake. Strongly suggest that you hire a PVC for a couple of weeks to see how you get on before committing.

Ron

Do not do it. We tried a few years ago and kept the pvc for about six months. If you can put up with the very cramped living space and tiny cramped washing and toilet facilities plus the high cost of these things then fine but otherwise stay away.

After almost 12 years of being downsized, we often look in amazement at the large MHs occupied by only two people. Our IH Tio R (5.6m) has generous kitchen workspace, 4 burner hob, and oven as well as the usual offices. We do not get in each others way.

We rarely stay on site all day, as we are often out walking or touring when the smaller footprint of the PVC makes for less stressfull driving, and easier parking.

Perhaps it comes down to the occupants, and how they use the vehicle.

Alan

sandalwood - 2018-06-26 7:15 PM

Still dithering? Lovely Automatic 776ff all bells whistles, or Rapido V 68? Plus. smaller vehicle, agsinst. Not much room. How on earth do I avoid a very very expensive mistake

HELP

Regardd

Ian

I think you are offering yourselves a false choice. There are many vans other than the 776ff, and many PVCs other than the V68.

Something persuades you that you want a smaller van. What is that?

Once you are clear on why you want to downsize, you have to accept that you will have less space inside as a result, and then evaluate the PVC market (which is huge, but does not offer that many layout variants), for those vans that seem best to meet your preferences, and then work your way through them to find the quality and price combination/s you consider best, and then decide whether to hire to evaluate, jump straight in, or look for a larger van. No-one can tell you what will suit you, that is why there are so many on offer.

If you're that worried hire a PVC and see how you get on.

We nearly made a mistake upsizing from a VW to larger PVC, it seemed straight forward, bigger van, more room so we would be happier, big mistake, we hired a Wildax Aurora and gf's claustrophobia (which was never a problem in the VW) kicked in with the transverse bed, thankfully the Campscout came on the market and we've had seven years of good service from it.

Ian, this is what I said about how to make the decision when you raised this topic before. I could come up with more ways of making a decision if you want including one that solves the 'impossible'.

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Downsize/48976/

I ran a decision workshop for my managers and they chose my current van for me! It continues to meet our needs despite the few quality build issues that arose. You could try talking to a friend and/or fellow motorhomer just to air your thoughts. Then put your thoughts down on a sheet of A3 paper as a mind map [schools teach children how to do these 'spider diagrams'].

You can never make the perfect decision. Aim for the best you can and work hard to make the decision work. Or don't make one and stay with the status quo. Making a decision when it is unnecessary, or your heart isn't in it, is pointless unless you want to make the wrong one.

Stick with it and the fog will clear when the time is right.

Hi, I just wonder if the best approach is to look for a unique layout that suits. One that is only available as a PVC, rather than a generic layout, one that is just like the coach built you run before downsizing, only about 10-15% smaller in all areas.

Not likely to be happy downsizing on that basis.

Downsize by stripping away the surplus areas, and appreciating the smaller vehicle to drive.

I suppose it depends where you want to use your van as well, uk or Europe?

Regards.

Snowie

We downsized from a 7m coachbuilt (Autotrail Apache 632) to a 6m PVC (Rapido V55) about 18 months ago. Done 12,000 miles, 2 continental trips, c. 160 nights. We're glad we did it.

I won't go into all the reasons, except to mention that fairly obviously, driving is less stressful. We do notice there is less space, but key for us is that there is enough space. It feels more cramped, because it's lower, narrower and shorter, but when we're sat in the swivelled seats, or eating at the table, or cooking, or using the loo or shower, or sleeping, well, there is plenty space for all these things. More than enough storage too.

Archived