What’s this switch

Igglepiggle

Looking at the switch, it could be a three position one, as neither end of the rocker appears to be raised more than the other. The only after market fitting that springs to mind that would use such a switch, is a heated seat, but I think that is not very probable.

Further my PVC has two similar looking LED indicators in the cab. One is the step "OUT" indicator, and the other is for the after market alarm.

The position of the switch suggests that it is not readibly visible when the cab door is closed, so that would suggest a control for an alarm.

The above are only given as suggestions for further investigation, and may be completely wrong.

Alan

Those two lines on the plastic look like rather amateur marks for cutting the hole, so the previous owner may have done a diy job, if you carefully prise the switch out you can what colour the wires are and how many. Then you could trace these back to a fuse box and look for added wires. If they are "piggy backed" with Scotchlocks, get them fitted properly.

As a Land Rover owner the bane of my life is PO (previous owner) "improvements".

By three position switch do you mean central off and up or down both on with the light illuminted?

Have you removed the switch, or clambered up behind the dash, to see how the wiring is and where it goes, what thickness cables are used?

It may be that whatever it was is no longer but the switch remains rather than leave a hole?

Keithl - 2018-06-30 1:31 PM

Could it be a remote switch for the electric step, one way for out the other for in, with the warning light showing when the step is extended?

Keith.

A normal step switch has two independent changeover contacts, and a minimum of four external connections, supply +ve & -ve plus two wires to the step motor. Further the indicator light will be connected to an ignition controlled supply, and switched in the negative lead by the step limit switch.

Alan

Billggski - 2018-06-30 8:12 AM

......................... If they are "piggy backed" with Scotchlocks, get them fitted properly.

As a Land Rover owner the bane of my life is PO (previous owner) "improvements".

Billggski,

You seem to have an aversion to Insulation Displacement Connectors (IDCs) or "Scotchlok" connectors. I would not recommend them for power circuits, but they are useful when tapping into existing circuits for a low current sigmal. Further it is possible to remove them without damaging the wire by more than two narrow nicks in the insulation, which could be protected with a piece of tape. You mention getting the wires fitted properly, but what alternative means of connection do you suggest? Cutting the original wire and either soldering or crimping are often difficult in cramped locations. Modern vehicle fuseboards do not permit the easy addition of new connections.

Alan

paul2 - 2018-06-29 10:49 PM

Hi

Do you have an alarm? I have a switch in that place on my fiat x250 and it's for the strikeback alarm cycle loop (an aftermarket alarm system).

Paul

Our Rapido had similar fitting. Our switch was "hidden / inoperable " when the door was closed. If that is the case, I would suggest that it is some form af alarm override or control.

If you take a look at the rear of the mhome underneath you may find a socket similar to a trailer socket mounted on the chassis or floor. This would be the socket for the plug for the alarm loop cited above.

Rgds

paulmold - 2018-06-30 1:00 PM

Did Transits have alarm as standard? Auto-sleepers didn't fit them.

No...only an immobiliser. I have an after market Thatcham alarm fitted to my van but it's worth mentioning if left activated for a few days without the van moving, it sucks no end of power from the battery.

And the crossed wires on the outer terminals are typical of a polarity reversal switch, ie one way for in the other for out, etc, etc...

The loose white wire and connector will have come off the front left unused terminal!

Archived