"Camping behaviour" on Aires

StuartO

As far as Germany is concerned, the rule" no camping" applies on Stellplätze because Stellplätze are legally carparks designated for motorhomes and don´t comply with rules and regulations for camping. They are just dedicated for parking a motorhome, not doing camping. That is the legal situation for public Stellplätze.

Generally nobody will complain with putting your chairs out if you stay in the borders of your pitch. A nogo is blocking further pitches with your equipment especially if there is not much space available. It is also considered as annoying if people "reserve" a Pitch with putting equipment on it, either for a "friend" or during a day trip.

I don't know for sure what the legal position in France is but I've see local notices (an "Arrette") which are issued by the Prefecture or somesuch covering Aires (and campsites) which seem to be roughly the equivalent of Bye Laws in UK, i.e. they could be the basis of prosecution if you disobey.

ollybear - 2018-07-01 7:33 PM

As far as Germany is concerned, the rule" no camping" applies on Stellplätze because Stellplätze are legally carparks designated for motorhomes and don´t comply with rules and regulations for camping. They are just dedicated for parking a motorhome, not doing camping. That is the legal situation for public Stellplätze.

Generally nobody will complain with putting your chairs out if you stay in the borders of your pitch. A nogo is blocking further pitches with your equipment especially if there is not much space available. It is also considered as annoying if people "reserve" a Pitch with putting equipment on it, either for a "friend" or during a day trip.

Yeah i've used many including Autobahn parks (which obviously aren't Stellplatz) but never rolled my awning out and not even bothered with chair as Autobahn rest stops already have plenty of chairs and tables....often in shaded areas. A favourite Stellplatz (which you will probably know) is Helmstedt. Nothing on the Stellplatz but good bars and restaurants just minutes walk away and though smoking is banned quite a lot ignore it. Different attitude in Germany.

One point not mentioned. Whenever i get a free overnight i make sure i spend some money locally....go to a bar, supermarket, if on Autobahn then i buy breakfast and coffees there. Big vans are killing local trade off. They shop in bulk on the cheap out of the area, park up and rarely exit the van.

StuartO - 2018-07-02 9:21 AMI don't know for sure what the legal position in France is but I've see local notices (an "Arrette") which are issued by the Prefecture or somesuch covering Aires (and campsites) which seem to be roughly the equivalent of Bye Laws in UK, i.e. they could be the basis of prosecution if you disobey.

As with bye laws in the UK, the rules displayed on such notices are likely to apply only to aires managed by the local authority that issued them. That they exist in some localities is not indicative of any universal rule and could, as I said previously, suggest quite the opposite.

aandy - 2018-07-02 12:46 PM As with bye laws in the UK, the rules displayed on such notices are likely to apply only to aires managed by the local authority that issued them. That they exist in some localities is not indicative of any universal rule and could, as I said previously, suggest quite the opposite. 

Spoken like a devious lawyer!

Last year our first experience of an Aire, lovely small town parked outside of the Hotel de ville.

As I reversed in the owner of the motorhome I parked next to came out and glared made some loud comments and then went back inside - not the French van but an brit who had decided to park across 4 spaces so that his rear lounge had a view (you can just make out the end of the van in the photo

DSC_0001 copy.pdf

It is not always obvious who is guilty of inconsiderate parking.

I arrived on an aire that had spaces for 4 vans in a line. There were already 2 vans parked up on the ends and each were taking 1.5 spaces each. I just managed to squeeze between them.

We went for a walk and came back a few hours later to find that these 2 vans had gone and another two arrived. These had parked correctly on the 2 end spaces leaving me in the middle taking up two spaces. Another van had parked elsewhere and made me feel guilty!

StuartO - 2018-07-02 12:54 PM
  aandy - 2018-07-02 12:46 PM As with bye laws in the UK, the rules displayed on such notices are likely to apply only to aires managed by the local authority that issued them. That they exist in some localities is not indicative of any universal rule and could, as I said previously, suggest quite the opposite. 

Isn't "devious lawyer" a tautology?Not sure what part of my post is devious or legalistic. It is a simple fact that local laws, or bye laws, apply only to the locality in which they are made, and logical to suppose that an authority wouldn't pass such a law if it merely duplicated one that already exists nationally.

aandy - 2018-07-02 1:27 PM
StuartO - 2018-07-02 12:54 PM

Isn't "devious lawyer" a tautology?Not sure what part of my post is devious or legalistic. It is a simple fact that local laws, or bye laws, apply only to the locality in which they are made, and logical to suppose that an authority wouldn't pass such a law if it merely duplicated one that already exists nationally.

It was the devious logic which particularly appealed.  :D

thomsonjuk - 2018-07-02 12:57 PM

Last year our first experience of an Aire, lovely small town parked outside of the Hotel de ville.

As I reversed in the owner of the motorhome I parked next to came out and glared made some loud comments and then went back inside - not the French van but an brit who had decided to park across 4 spaces so that his rear lounge had a view (you can just make out the end of the van in the photo

That really is taking the pish. View of what exactly anyway? Parking longways on what looks like a potentially tightly packed Aire is really not cricket. If your going to turn up somewhere like that and dont want to be hemmed in, get there early and get an end spot so then at least if its marked bays you can get as far over as possible on your bay so you get a wider gap and nobody on one side of you.

Archived