ACSI Campsite booking fees - is this a new racket?

This season I've found that ACSI campsites on the French Atlantic coast are charging hefty booking fees if you book online. Fees up to 15 Euros are being charged during the ACSI periods.

Is this a new way for campsites to offset the ACSI discount or has it been happening for some time and I've not noticed? as we usually just turn up at the gate.

The problem is that if you want to guarantee a pitch without a wasted journey in June on the coast, it's wise to book.

Yes we do use Aires but even these are getting pricey in the holiday areas and no we never wildcamp.

Interested to read your comments.

I've used ACSI but never more than turned up at the gate I don't see any thing wrong with any site charging a booking fee I expect they'd get a lot of no shows if they didn't

. But you mention June will the ACSI discount scheme still work in June.

witzend - 2018-07-01 4:18 PM

I've used ACSI but never more than turned up at the gate I don't see any thing wrong with any site charging a booking fee I expect they'd get a lot of no shows if they didn't

. But you mention June will the ACSI discount scheme still work in June.

Varies a bit but most of the ACSI sites end around 7th july

pottypam - 2018-07-01 4:43 PM

Just checked the ACSI book section about booking on line and it says “The price is the same as you would pay at the campsite”. If a booking fee is added, this is untrue. I think you should contact ACSI to clarify.

Just to clarify. The sites are charging the published ACSI price but adding a booking fee if you book online and in advance. There's usually a deposit taken as well so why the need for a booking fee when they've got your deposit?

That's my question.

I think it is quite possible that a site is part ACSII, part not, and that advance online booking is not offered on the ACSII pitches, This allows them to offer 2 price levels in popular times.

In the past we have found that ACSII pitches have sometimes been inferior to “premium” pitches, and that effectively, 2 sites are operated side by side. You take your chances for the availability of ACSII pitches.

I haven’t read this in the handbook, so just my interpretation,

Regards, Snowie

snowie - 2018-07-01 6:14 PM

I think it is quite possible that a site is part ACSII, part not, and that advance online booking is not offered on the ACSII pitches, This allows them to offer 2 price levels in popular times.

In the past we have found that ACSII pitches have sometimes been inferior to “premium” pitches, and that effectively, 2 sites are operated side by side. You take your chances for the availability of ACSII pitches.

I haven’t read this in the handbook, so just my interpretation,

Regards, Snowie

Good point, I'm aware that this happens as well.

So thinking this through, you reserve online and pay a fee but you get a premium pitch. Then on checkout you claim your ACSI price.

Probably works out even in cost terms but you've enjoyed the better pitch :-D

Hi

Just come back from 7 weeks in France using Acsi sites and never booked, or needed to?, must admit some are busier than we have been used to. Guess times are changing with the number of MHs being bought. See what happens next year! :-) :-)

This is my first year using ACSI, strikes me some sites play fast and loose with the rules, We have been doing our usual turn up at the gate and see what's available, just back from Netherlands and a couple of sites we turned up at they claimed to not have any ACSI pitches and we would have to pay full price, yet on walking around there where plenty of pitches empty, at one of them on the 3rd day we where there a ACSI car was parked up inside site, so I emailed ACSI to ask if the inspector had been informed all ACSI pitches where full, not had any reply.

One site I did book in advance, I had searched online for a site in a specific area, and as it was weekend wanted to make sure we would be ok, hadn't realised it was ACSI until we where actually on the site, the price we paid was less than in the ACSI book.

Nearly all the sites we have used(most in Netherlands) have not really been our sort of thing, so doubt we use it again.

Matrix Meanderer - 2018-07-01 5:37 PM

Just to clarify. The sites are charging the published ACSI price but adding a booking fee if you book online and in advance. There's usually a deposit taken as well so why the need for a booking fee when they've got your deposit?

That's my question.

When I answered earlier I didn't realise it was added to the normal price.But I suppose their using ACSI to fill unbooked pitches on the day and if we book one we are stopping them selling for the normal price

We were charged over the rate published in the ACSI book (during the discount low season period) by a site a while back; the guy in reception wasn't interested in what the book said, he just insisted on his higher rate, take it or leave it.  ACSI isn't a perfect system and complaining to ACSI doesn't seem to have any effect at all.  I think you have to take it in the round; either it works for you overall or it doesn't.

Guest pelmetman

We're currently on a site in St Ives that accept ACSI.......... because we're touring with our friends and wanted to ensure we were able to book adjacent pitches, we've had to pay full wack 8-) ........

As they don't take bookings for ACSI :'( ......

Just back from 4 weeks in France, Belgium, Spain, Germany, Netherlands and Luxembourg. Used ACSI and Aires. Only issue with ACSI was some sites charged extra for dogs and some included them in the price. I’ve used ACSI for 3 years now and my experience has been consistent. Not a perfect system but I’m very happy with it. I am a ‘turn up at the gate’ traveller and always have a plan B. Usually travel end of May until early July. I’m not all that interested in Atlantic coastal stops though preferring inland, hills and mountains with vineyards my desired location :-D

We've used ACSI for 10 years. Never had a problem, except with Bonterra Park in Spain! The last time we went there they would only let you have a small pitch in tress!

Still think it a good scheme, as we have never paid more than book price, and usually have a choice of pitches. This year we went to a site in Spain and they wanted an extra 3 euros, for pitching on a open car park, facing the loo emptying, so we changed our minds and decided not to stay. Some of the reports in ACSI are not entirely accurate. Good Toilets must mean a different idea to the ACSI reporters!

I believe most of the sites are still caravan orientated. Some are good some leave a lot to be desired. BUT you always have the choice to leave and go elsewhere. We never liked aires , but others do, so "Horses for Course" spring to mind. We tried Camping cheques, but did not like that scheme at all.

PJay

We booked a couple of ACSI sites as we were 1st timers in our van in France and had one or two particular places we wanted to go and weren't sure how busy it would be. I noticed that Flower Camping L'Ile D'Offard in Saumur added €15, I think I did query it with reception but my French wasn't good enough to get a clear answer. However we still saved a small amount as 3 nights if we not used ACSI would have cost us 69€, we paid 66€, although if we hadn't reserved it would have only cost 51€. But at least we had a guaranteed pitch where we wanted to be with good access to the Loire cycle path (the only hilly part!!)

The 2nd site was La Tour des Prises on the Ile De Re and they added15€ but refunded 13€ when I settled up, didn't have to query it. I think there was space on the Saumur site if we had just turned up but the Ile de Re site was fully booked. (2nd week June). Looking in the ACSI book on page 9 it does say that a reservation with the ACSI card is a normal reservation and in some cases you may have to pay a reservation charge.

In 10 years of using ACSI, we have never booked a site. As long as you get there at a reasonable time, if it is full , just go to another. One word of advice. Always check it's not a "Holiday" in France, as they can get booked up then. Also check the dates the ACSI

PJay

Yes I did book online as I wanted to be on a particular site on specific dates. On p8/9 of the ACSI under Reservation with CampingCard ACSI it does say there may be a reservation charge (2nd paragraph). Can't quite work out the logic of camp sites charging a booking fee as you would have thought that they would want people to book in advance especially if they charge a deposit so at least there is some compensation for no shows.

Emailed ACSI to clarify the booking fee.

Reply pasted below:

On our website https://www.campingcard.co.uk/extra-information/what-is-campingcard-acsi/?_ga=2.36788960.1935415453.1530602596-897282319.1530602596 you will find what is included and what does not include the CampingCard ACSI.

Excluded in the CampingCard ACSI rate

Tourist tax, environmental surcharge, ecotax, refuse disposal or any other requirements made by the local authority.

Applicable Reservation And Administration Charges

So if a site levies a booking fee that applies to normal and ACSI bookings but should get the discounted rate for the actual stay.

On our recent trip to France, 1st 2 weeks of June stayed one night in an aire (free) at Fougeres, just managed to squeeze in at 5pm. 3 nights at Saumur, which we had booked and had to pay the €15 booking fee. They did have space for people turning up although some pitches were unavailable due to flooding.

1 night on an ASCI site near Villandry, plenty of space. Was going to stay at the aire at Villandry but it cost €11 plus a €4 charge to buy a camping card so thought we may as well pay a couple of euros more for EHU and showers etc, not sure if it was worth it as showers and toilet a bit basic (no loo roll!)

1 night on an aire in Perigeux (€6 I think), still spare spaces at 6pm, pitches marked out in bays so no spreading out as mentioned in a different post. 5 nights at Camping Royal in Biarritz, booked through the Caravan Club, so got a slight discount, no booking fees as far as I know. Plenty of space band we were able to get a sea view pitch (right on the edge overlooking the sea, too near in some ways as crashing waves very noisy!). 2 nights on an ASCI site near Bordeaux, just turned up quite full but did have space. Incidentally that site and the one in Biarritz needed to borrow a continental adaptor for the EHU, €10 deposit at Biarritz, €50 at Bordeaux.

4 nights on the Il De Re, ASCI rate, most of €15 booking fee refunded, owner said he was full and usually is so need to book. Highly recommended site (Tour Les Pris).

1 night on aire at Avranches, free but very sloping and earlier arrivals had spread out so difficult to find a space, there was a service point (€2 for fresh water) but 2 vans parked there blocking access to the it.

So not sure how common booking fees are but it looks like nothing to do with ACSI and it is a case of whether you are prepared to start hunting for a site early in a popular area but have the freedom to move to where-ever whenever you feel like it or work to a definite itinerary where having a guaranteed site is important.

Archived