Internal or external screen cover

plople

We have just purchased our first motorhome and I was wondering which are the best windscreen covers, the internal ones or the ones that cover on the outside?

We rented a motorhome that had internal ones and I liked the fact I could take them off or drop them for a view outside but not sure if theirs a benefit to the external ones above the internal ones.

hi welcome to the forum i use both if i am staying on an aire for example i use the internal screens for ease of use and if you are need to move in a hurry you can just pull them off and go without getting out of the van. i use the external screens if i am staying for a stay of a few days or more or if you are in england in the cold as the external screens stop the internal condensation whereas the internal ones dont

I believe a major advantage of internal blinds, particularly if you wild camp in “iffy” places is that you can make a fast getaway if necessary, no blinds to take down outside!

Internal blinds don’t get wet either.

I use Remoscas internally plus external Silverscreens when it gets colder.

You will find that opinions vary!

Regards, Snowie

I had internal on the old van and they were prone to causing condensation.

External on the new van with no such issues and the external blinds can be part dropped for a view if required.

As has been said above, if you need a quick getaway then internal wins hands down (but with associated issues). If not, then go external, but get good quality blinds such as original silverscreens.

External are better at keeping the heat in or out depending on the weather. They will stop condensation on the cab windows if properly applied. On some, you can pull down the front panel so you can watch the world go by. If you are not motorhoming in the winter or in the summer in hot temperatures, your ordinary motorhome blinds may be enough - certainly worth trying before spending money. The same goes if your motorhome has heating ducts on the cab windows [some Hymers do].

Downsides are putting them up on a wet and windy night, especially if its cold, and storing them when removed wet [it's what your shower tray is for!].

I've never considered internal screens because I've always had internal blinds.

That all sounds ominous about wild camping, why do it if you have to be prepared for a quick get away.

I use the external as they dont cause condensation and keep the heat in better but as you say putting up and taking down when wet is nearly a bad as having an awning on a caravan.

I have both internal and external screens but only use the externals when it is really cold to limit condensation.

I have never used an aire as I perceive them to be a bit dodgy compared to a proper campsite and comments about having to be ready for a quick getaway definitely reinforce that perception so I won't be going down that route any time soon.

Don't use internal blinds to deflect heat during the day in summer, all the heat is reflected back at the windscreen which could expand beyond the capability of the adhesive & cause the bond to break.

External screens will stop the heat reaching the windscreen.

External screens tend to be bulkier & need larger storage area when not in use, especially when removed wet.

They are also much more prone to external grime (more so when close to the coast, when seagulls always seem much more accurate with their target practice)

I pack (stuff) the external screens into dustbin bags and use them to pack out items to stop movement or rattles.

Not to worried if the screens are wet because they will be out of the bags and onto the cab windows when we pitch up.

Rgds

Archived