Lake Annecy

360david

Hi

Le Rives du Lac in Sévrier, good site with access to lake and cycle track. Free wifi. €19pn Acsi 2222 in the book.

Europa in St Jorioz at €17pn. Acsi 2236. 400 yds from lake, direct access to cycle path.

Municipal Les Champs Fleuris in Duingt, €17pn. Acsi 2137 also on the cycle track which runs from Annecy to Albertville (30miles)

Derek

Annecy's Municipal Campsite, Le Belvedere, is on a promentary above the Town overlooking the Lake and should not be full or need pre-booking in mid September.  It's a pleasant walk downhill to the Town but a serious hike back up, so we ended up using taxis - cheap enough for four of us.  We stayed for a week and really enjoyed it.  A peaceful refuge from the crowded lakeside and Town.

StuartO - 2018-07-03 8:31 AM
Annecy's Municipal Campsite, Le Belvedere, is on a promentary above the Town overlooking the Lake and should not be full or need pre-booking in mid September.  It's a pleasant walk downhill to the Town but a serious hike back up, so we ended up using taxis - cheap enough for four of us.  We stayed for a week and really enjoyed it.  A peaceful refuge from the crowded lakeside and Town.

Would get my vote too. We were there in autumn 2012, so things may have changed in the meantime. The hill was steep, so no doubt still is, but we walked both ways, and even took off up the mountain behind - though the view from the top didn't really justify the effort! Annecy itself is an attractive town with several good restaurants. There is an Intermarché within walking distance (if you don't mind carrying your shopping back up that hill!) - otherwise there are Leclerc, Auchan and Carrefour around the outskirts on the usual zones commercial. I can give GPS coordinates if required.

Yes I would vote that as well! We were at the Municipal last year, not bad walk into town, use the back way not the front its not so steep and has steps as well as sloping path straight into the old town.

Good clean tidy site.

Bas

Wasn't Me - 2018-07-05 2:14 PM

Hi we are off there in Aug.

Did you know it is Air Quality Cert area.

We just applied for ours.

No I didnt think about the air quality situation. i only thought that was required in cities.

I havnt seen it mentioned anywhere. how do I apply for one

Thanks

It will be worthwhile for many to open the section of the above site entitled "French Environmental Zones" in the right hand margin of the web page, and look at the present number and location of these zones.

There are a number of new zones that have been introduced over the past couple of years, and many trips will be liable to enter, or pass through, several such. For example, anyone planning a trip down to Spain might expect to pass through the Loiret, or Eure-et-Loir, zone, followed by Creuse or Vienne, followed by Gironde/Bordeaux, Gers/Auch, and/or Pyrénées-Atlantiques/Pau.

Other zones seem likely to become relevant to other routes, with new zones being added from time to time.

The French government seems merely to have empowered local administrations to impose LEZ regulations, it has not decreed which administrations must impose the restrictions, or on what basis.

A number of these restrictions are of intermittent validity, being imposed on a daily basis as, and when, air quality deteriorates below pre-set limits.

If your vehicle carries the appropriate Crit'Air sticker I think it should be free to pass through the zone even when the restriction is in force, as the restriction seems only to apply to vehicles with lower category stickers (or none), though I have to say the explanation on the website was less than sparklingly clear to me! :-)

There will be signs at the boundaries of the zones - though it will be interesting to see whether all the rural zones will carry such signs, down to and including the "C" roads, or whether they only appear on main roads - on the basis that local roads carry only local traffic, which will already be aware of the restrictions. :-) The sign will carry a supplemental indication of the categories that are excluded. The excluded categories seem liable to vary from zone to zone, as the decision is made by the local authority concerned.

If you think that sounds complicated, follow the link at the bottom of the web page to "Green Zones.eu" and have a look in particular at the zones for Belgium - which seems to me more or less destined to exclude foreign traffic due to the bureaucratic and logistical complications of having to get one's vehicle registered individually with the administrations of each individual zone to be visited! See also the zones for Germany, which is at least fairly straightforward, but also Austria and Denmark.

Are we witnessing the death of the motorhome, or even travel by road for leisure purposes?

Archived