Thetford cassette toilet C400

Weeble29

I bought a new cassette last year and something has been rattling around in it ever since I got it. Took a look inside and found a long white piece of plastic with no obvious function or place where it has fallen off from. Any ideas? Picture to follow assuming I can attach a picture. Many thanks

1615633172_thetford.jpg.fea26065e38b08f920b451bead415c80.jpg

Could it be the level guage float as they can sometimes come adrift if you shake the cassette too enthuistically when cleaning it out, unless someone has been sh###ing bricks!

Fill the cassette with water and see if the guage registers full or not.

You may have to remove the centre circular access / seal to replace it, or even to discover what it is, but there are probably pictures or a manual on the internet to explain more if you Google it.

At least it will only be your own doo dah that you have to handle!

Hi, no its not the float as that is still attached. I have now managed to upload a picture - see original post above. Toilet seems to work ok so I guess I dont' need to fret, I'm just interested to find out what it is.

The part is described (Number 42 on the link Tracker gave earlier) as a “wheel support bracket”.

I notice that this part coming loose within a Thetford C-400 cassette was also reported in this 2016 MHFun forum thread

https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/thetford-c403-bit-fallen-off.129475/

Thetford’s C-400 repair instructions indicate that removal of the cassette’s wheel assemblies does not involve this part, so the part’s function may just be to provide extra strengthening in that particular area of the cassette (as implied in the part’s description). So, if it’s not intended to drag the cassette along on its wheels, it may well be OK to not bother replacing the part.

My Rapido has a Thetford C-400 toilet and I assume there’s a ‘wheel support bracket’ in its cassette - however, I’m not going to explore if that’s the case! If the part came loose in my cassette, I’d attempt to put it back as (logically) it must have some useful purpose or Thetford wouldn’t fit it.

As removal of a C-400 cassette’s blade-opener mechanism is straightforward and leaves a massive apperture in the cassette’s top, if a mirror and torch is employed it ought to be practicable to decide where the wheel support bracket goes and how it is supposed to be retained in position. Presumably it just clips in place and, if that’s so, if I had to replace a bracket that had become loose, I’d use a strong adhesive (eg. SIKAflex) to stop this happening again.

Archived