Smev mini oven riasting tray orientation

trialsrider

Does anybody know which way round the roasting tray should fit in the oven. Do people have the tray with the edge with holes at the front and the no holes edge at the back ? I've been cooking with it with the holes at the front ? I'm guessing there must be a correct way round otherwise it would have holes on four sides rather than three.

Adiebt - 2018-07-04 5:38 PM

Advert on E Bay shows the holes at the left , right and front with the blank side at the rear .

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F123137052750

That looks like the 30 litre oven not the mini 20litre oven I have. But the roasting tray is the same. What I can't understand is that if the flame and heat source of the oven is at the bottom rear of the oven wouldn't it be better to have the holes at the rear to allow heat to rise up ? Or am I barking up the wrong tree ?

colin - 2018-07-04 7:18 PM

Maybe it something to do with getting a even heat distribution,

Definitely. But which way round does the tray go ? The tray on this model doubles as the shelf so it is on situ the whole time. I'm guessing its going to improve cooking performance if you get it round the right way.

Guest pelmetman

Has anyone cooked a full roast dinner with homemade Yorkshire pudding in their Smev mini oven? ;-) ......

Just askin :D .......

I use the oven a lot but the van is just used by myself and my 3 year old so we don't cook anything complicated. It is great for pizza, chips, nuggets, fish fingers, toast, ready meals etc. We haven't tried anything else. What is definitely the best thing to.do us crank it up on full blast and let it warm up properly before putting any food in otherwise it never hits a good working temp.

I'm convinced the tray orientation is critical though as a few times I've had to rotate pizzas around in the oven because only one side has cooked.

According to my wife, who has banned me from using the oven, the non holes end goes to the back. This may be because "nothing should come into contact with the flame" [this bit is in the instruction book]. The tray is actually the drip tray although she does use it for other things.

Leisureshop Direct show a diagram that has the oven shelf 'inside' the drip tray with the holes to the front.

I guess the only way to get a definitive answer is to ask Smev. Good luck with that!

Brock - 2018-07-05 7:21 AM

According to my wife, who has banned me from using the oven, the non holes end goes to the back. This may be because "nothing should come into contact with the flame" [this bit is in the instruction book]. The tray is actually the drip tray although she does use it for other things.

Leisureshop Direct show a diagram that has the oven shelf 'inside' the drip tray with the holes to the front.

I guess the only way to get a definitive answer is to ask Smev. Good luck with that!

Thanks for the info. Very helpful.

Archived