Touring France

sandalwood

Going from Cherbourg down to La Rochelle or further ( nit very adventurous) but would like to know if some great villages or places if interest on the way down, can’t seem to find any routes, Michelin or other that give info. Have looked in travel shops etc, can’t find. Any help would be gratefully receivedby us oldies, please no long trekking!

Ian

Hi Ian, I always recommend the DK Eyewitness travel guides, at about £12 on Amazon they represent very good value, in my opinion.

And they present the information in plenty of pictures, which I find better than the wordy alternatives.

Enjoy your trip

Snowie

sandalwood - 2018-07-04 6:18 PM

Going from Cherbourg down to La Rochelle or further ( nit very adventurous) but would like to know if some great villages or places if interest on the way down, can’t seem to find any routes, Michelin or other that give info. Have looked in travel shops etc, can’t find. Any help would be gratefully receivedby us oldies, please no long trekking!

Ian

Try a web search on "les plus beaux villages", or follow this link. Some are over-hyped, a few are tourist traps, but most are well worth a visit. There is usually parking nearby, generally free. Should be enough info there to keep you going for years! :-)

There are some very nice villages in the " Green Venice " area on the way to La Rochelle - such as Coulon - where there is a large aire and a good ACSI site called Venise Verte ( haven't been there for couple of years but I think it's still ACSI ).

Plenty of walking / cycling there through wooded areas.

snowie - 2018-07-04 6:53 PM

Hi Ian, I always recommend the DK Eyewitness travel guides, at about £12 on Amazon they represent very good value, in my opinion.

And they present the information in plenty of pictures, which I find better than the wordy alternatives.

Enjoy your trip

Snowie

We like the DK guides as well, but I get them out the local library, in fact I will be returning the Netherlands this week.

Brian Kirby - 2018-07-04 6:55 PM

sandalwood - 2018-07-04 6:18 PM

Ian

Try a web search on "les plus beaux villages", or follow this link. Some are over-hyped, a few are tourist traps, but most are well worth a visit. There is usually parking nearby, generally free. Should be enough info there to keep you going for years! :-)

Sorry - FORGOT LINK! :-( http://tinyurl.com/ljo5j5

Hi, dont forget the east side of the peninsular, all the war museums etc, then on southwest southern end is the famous abbey at Mont St Michel,..big tourist trap..

Just north of there, is Villedieu.lesPoelles,, world famous bell foundry villege, where for a nominal sum, you can do atour to see how bells are cast etc.

Depending on your route through Normandy, fast route could be motorway past Valognes,, Carentan,then via Torigni sur Vire, (pleasant stopover on campsite jus South), then via A84, free motorway past ville dieu, and Mont st Michelle,towards Rennes, then N137 to Nantes. You could then chose to head towards the coast at places like St Jean de Monts,, Sables de Lolonne,, La Rochelle etc, if it is beaches and campssites with the masses you require,

Get the michelin book map of france, and a copy of All the Aires, there are plenty of them but likely to be busy in season, alternatively, get the France Passion book, (overnight stops free at vineyards, farms etc) much quieter and relaxing and gets off the main drag routes. Ithelpe if you have some knowledge of French, but not absolutely essentiial.

Have fun, drive carefully, Dont ExcedeSpeed Limits..instant fines if you get caught.

Tonyg3nwl

tonyg3nwl - 2018-07-05 4:38 PM

Hi, dont forget the east side of the peninsular, all the war museums etc, then on southwest southern end is the famous abbey at Mont St Michel,..big tourist trap..

Just north of there, is Villedieu.lesPoelles,, world famous bell foundry villege, where for a nominal sum, you can do atour to see how bells are cast etc.

Depending on your route through Normandy, fast route could be motorway past Valognes,, Carentan,then via Torigni sur Vire, (pleasant stopover on campsite jus South), then via A84, free motorway past ville dieu, and Mont st Michelle,towards Rennes, then N137 to Nantes. You could then chose to head towards the coast at places like St Jean de Monts,, Sables de Lolonne,, La Rochelle etc, if it is beaches and campssites with the masses you require,

Get the michelin book map of france, and a copy of All the Aires, there are plenty of them but likely to be busy in season, alternatively, get the France Passion book, (overnight stops free at vineyards, farms etc) much quieter and relaxing and gets off the main drag routes. Ithelpe if you have some knowledge of French, but not absolutely essentiial.

Have fun, drive carefully, Dont ExcedeSpeed Limits..instant fines if you get caught.

Tonyg3nwl

Would also recommend Torigni sur vire/Villedieu . Carentan also great place, stayed there when we where sailors, and have friends who live now live there. Would not bother with Mont St Michel (a tourist rip off now)! All these sites are in ACSI

PJay

For anyone interested, there is a free (French language) booklet listing 56 ’motorhome stop-over’ villages in France and the map on the following link gives an idea of where they are

https://tinyurl.com/ychdlylu

More details are here (the website translates badly so I’ve left it in the original French)

https://www.village-etape.fr/vous-roulez/en-camping-car/

and, if you click on the “RECEVOIR LA CARTE” option towards the foot of the webpage, you can ask for a copy of the booklet.

Also if you are headed towards the Vendee one of the best things in France to visit is Puy du Fou. Although it seems like a theme park, it is with a difference that you have to experience to understand. Of particular note is the evening Cine Scenie a spectacle over a whole evening. You really need to spend two days there to see everything imo so there is an Aire at the site which we used or a full site, usually busy, just down the road if you are into them.

I would advise anyone visiting this area to ensure they take a look.

https://www.puydufou.com/en

Bas

Ile de Re is good and you don’t have to pay much of a toll or Ile de Normoitier, just as nice in my opinion and no toll.

If you’re into WW2 history, then Oradour sur Glane is a worthwhile visit, look up on the net before you go though. From memory I think there’s an Aire there as well. It was the site of a massacre against civilians.

Hawcara - 2018-07-08 9:24 AM

If you’re into WW2 history, then Oradour sur Glane is a worthwhile visit, look up on the net before you go though. From memory I think there’s an Aire there as well. It was the site of a massacre against civilians.

See: http://www.oradour.info

There is a free Aire there at: http://www.oradour.info/appendix/howto.htm

Get to the Aire before 16:00 as it is becoming popular. There are facilities such as water, toilets, BBQ and veg preparation at the Aire and space for about 30 vans.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived