Motorhome polish and protection.

flyboyprowler

With the new beast due imminently, I would like your thoughts on the best polishes, and or waxes to use to protect the paintwork of a new van. Our use is generally in Spain and with very high temperatures and a baking sun, it would be nice to keep that new look as long as possible. When in storage, we are under cover, so what would also be a good maintenance plan to keep it looking smart. B-)

Auto-Glym does a range of cleaners but it's not cheap stuff and applied the 'old fashioned' way.......by hand! Baking heat, strong sun etc and 'keeping that new look' will be hard work. Easier to run it to a jet wash or hand wash place every now 'n then just to keep the dust down! Plus....think of the money you will save toward any important mechanical bits that fail without warning!

We wash her off after every trip. Sometimes (especially during the nice weather) it’s just a quick wash other times it can take a couple of hours. At least twice a year (April and October) she gets a full clean top to bottom then polished from top to bottom.

I would say the October one is the most important. All the winter muck just rinses off.

Spyder - 2018-07-05 9:34 PM

We wash her off after every trip. Sometimes (especially during the nice weather) it’s just a quick wash other times it can take a couple of hours. At least twice a year (April and October) she gets a full clean top to bottom then polished from top to bottom.

I would say the October one is the most important. All the winter muck just rinses off.

What products do you use? It has been suggested that once the paint is "primed" then a wax finish gives better protection, and the spray waxes are easier to apply. I actually don't like the high pressure washers as they can damage seals and cause water ingress.

We live in south east Spain and our van lives outside. This has also been a concern for us as the sun really does destroy paintwork very quickly over here. We jet wash the van on a regular basis and then once every couple of months we use Mer polish to protect the paint work. It’s a very labour intensive task but does give you a sense of satisfaction once done! I have contacted several companies about covers for the van but none can give reassurance that the UV rays won’t destroy a cover within a couple of years and given the price of the covers this is not an option. If you find out any further information as to how to look after the paint work here in Spain I would be grateful if you would put it on the forum.

Billggski - 2018-07-05 8:48 PM

I'm very wary of jet washes, having had my vynal decals damaged, and am worried about sealant between panels being stripped out.

Newer waterless spray wax is very effective.

Yes some jet washes can be pretty powerful and it's better if you can do your own. I bought a cracking little jet washer some years ago in France for £70 (shocked and disgusted to discover the price here in UK then was more than double that). Needs servicing now though as some seals have perished and worn.

I purchase Autoglym directly and save a fortune.

I purchase shampoo in 25ltrs and all the rest in 5ltrs.

They also do some excellent brushes for Alloys.

Anyone be local to Worcester, I’m only to pleased to pass you my discount.

Just send me a pm.

We use Autoglym High Resin Polish. Used it for years and so easy to buff up.

We use a Karcher to spray with water/Turtle Wax mix (not jet washing, just to spray)

This year we used Silky to get the black streaks off. Fantastic product and very cheap to buy on Amazon. Helped clean up some dirty sealant as well.

Once she’s all clean she gets a good polish with the Autoglym.

As I say, it takes two full days for a proper clean, roof to sills (she’s a tag axle Bessacarr E769). Luckily we can park her outside the house to do it.

AutoGlym have a new UHD wax out that is easier to apply than previous ones.

You could polish it with Super Resin Polish and then apply the UHD wax by hand.

Not as quick as aqua wax but offers far superior protection.

Lucas - 2018-07-06 9:30 PM

AutoGlym have a new UHD wax out that is easier to apply than previous ones.

You could polish it with Super Resin Polish and then apply the UHD wax by hand.

Not as quick as aqua wax but offers far superior protection.

So is the UHD (I assume means ultra heavy duty or similar!) a yearly application. I certainly think that a wax finish is the way to go. I am hoping that as a new van it will arrive polished and shining---- I just want to keep it that way.

flyboyprowler - 2018-07-05 12:50 PM

With the new beast due imminently, I would like your thoughts on the best polishes, and or waxes to use to protect the paintwork of a new van...

I’d question whether a brand-new motorhome should need polishing immediately. As flyboyprowler hopes (!) the vending dealership should have prepared it so that its bodywork is in pristine shiny condition and a good waxing will maintain that shine for a long period of time.

I use Autoglym products for certain tasks but, once my motorhome is properly clean, I use "Bilt-Hamber double speed-wax” to maintain its shininess. A once-a-year rewaxing is enough.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/63776/best-car-wax-and-car-polish

Fenwicks Motorhome wash and BobbyDazzler products work well.

That said you will need to use elbow grease every year or so.

Check that the body work is ok with silicon polish n waxes. Some makes ,Rapido for one, say do not use a silicon product on the grp (or similar ?) panels.

Rgds

Edit. Productive text strikes again.

Archived