Trailers do they affect payload?

Chazzer46

If you have to fit a towbar this will, also there will be some nose weight from the trailer.

on a old car of mine I towed a 7cwt trailer to which I fitted a bike rack on top, with this arrangement you can offload items from you van to the trailer.

The noseweight of the trailer will add to the payload.

Depending on the weight of the trailer. There is a balance between the maximum permitted nose weight on the towbar. This varies from vehicle to vehicle but for example 50 to 75 kg maximum.

The nose weight of the trailer (generally speaking) should be about 7 to 10 % of the total weight of the loaded trailer.

One thing to note is that the increase of weight on the towball will increase the weight on the rear axle. The actual increase on the axle is heavier. This due to the weight behind the rear axle lifting the front axle, lessening the front axle loading, this is transmitted to the rear axle. A very rough calculation is that a 50 kg noseweight could put 55 kg load on the rear axle. some Motorhomes cannot tow because the rear axle is to far from the towball for safe loading.

The above is more applicable to those towing car trailers with much heavier nose weights, but the principles are the same.

Rgds

We have a PVC plated to 3.5 kg . I have hit 70 and have not opted for the medical route to enable the van to be plated above 3.5 kg even though it is a maxi chassis and a paper exercise to do so subject to my age!

The van has a towbar and it is near the overall weight limit though neither axle is near its prescribed limit. Any one know what weight of trailer I might be able to tow? In my dreams I fancy a Morgan three wheeler!!

I assume you have a BE licence

Category BE

You can drive a vehicle with a MAM of 3,500kg with a trailer.

The size of the trailer depends on the BE ‘valid from’ date shown on your licence. If the date is:

before 19 January 2013, you can tow any size trailer

on or after 19 January 2013, you can tow a trailer with a MAM of up to 3,500kg

We've got two electric bikes so I decided to buy a 750kg box trailer and I have to say it's probably one of the best buys we've had.

It all depends on how you organize your load, in the van and in the trailer. I put the two bikes and heavy bags, outside chairs and table etc in the trailer and balance the weight so I have about 40 - 45kg noseweight. Then any thing that goes in the van I try to load towards the front.

The van is 3500kg I've added two 80w solar panels full VB air suspension, EP levelers, tow bar, and extra leisure battery.

The last trip out I called in our local weighbridge and with the trailer on the weights were, front axle, 1420kg, rear axle, 2000kg giving a total of 3420 but that also included 80 litres of water = 80kg. over the rear axle.

Once on sight the trailer comes into it's own, the bikes are locked up and in the dry overnight and when not in use with anything else we don't want in the van.

On the road it tows brilliantly and even with only two wheels I've become a dab hand at reversing, certainly enough to get me out of trouble I'm also able to back it onto the site pitch.

Has I've said, a great buy and, if kept in good condition, should be easy to sell on if ever I should need too..

Archived