HI-VIZ-VEST in Belgium

Don Madge

I have just read on a continental truckers forum about a new law coming into force in Belgium. As from the 1st FEB. 2007 you will be

required to wear a HI-VIZ-VEST when you leave the vehicle because of a Breakdown or Accident. I assume it applies to all vehicles but I'm not sure.

It appears if you get caught not wearing a vest the fine is between €50 and €1400.

Regards

Don

Guest starspirit

I always carry them whenever abroad and when hiring a car we also take them because they are never supplied with any hire cars.

I would wear one if leaving the vehicle for any reason on the highway if for no other reason that in an emergency we might easily forget which way the traffic flows and not see an oncoming car.

Maybe the thought of a fine has something to do with it too?

Also watch out for Police at toll booths. It is not unknown for the passenger to unbelt to pay the toll and not be belted up before the driver moves off. Sometimes a copper on commission will pull out and fine you on the spot. Never happened to me yet but it could so easily.

I live some 2kms from the Belgian border and frequently drive there, however have seen nothing about this new requirement locally. I'll ask around some of my Belgian colleagues. What is upsetting the locals here in the NL though is Belgium's plan to make all users of Belgian motorways and A roads pay for a vignette a la Switzerland/Austria from next Jan (08). To be fair, I feel sorry for the Belgians as everyone uses their roads to travel from all points East and West and rarely do they stop and contribute to the economy!

starspirit - 2007-01-24 8:17 PM

I always carry them whenever abroad and when hiring a car we also take them because they are never supplied with any hire cars.

I would wear one if leaving the vehicle for any reason on the highway if for no other reason that in an emergency we might easily forget which way the traffic flows and not see an oncoming car.

Me too if you are in the road get a jacket on. I have had full high viz kit on Jacket and trousers.... loads of warning lights flashing ( all colours too)and STILL had to jump out of the way of a car that had not seen us!!!! (!)

Archived