Relay side bar/step

MrsJ

I am having a little difficulty in stepping up into the cab of the van due to the height of the step. We do not want to get retractable steps for either the cab or the sliding door. On site we use an ordinary loose two steps for the sliding door which suits us fine. I thought that if we fitted side bars/step/running boards (depends how they are advertised) it would solve the problem of the cab step and we could just set the loose steps for the slider just a bit further away. So far so good.

We picked out a step which we liked from Van Pimps and before we ordered I rang them about a small query. Their young lady told me that that although they may be called steps they are in fact a van styling product and have no weight rating as a step, so if you step on them and they fail there is no warranty.

A phone call to another confirmed this. So we are giving this further consideration - shall we just go

ahead regardless perhaps buying a better quality (Cobra?) or leave it for a while and see what else there might be about.

Has anyone got afterfit side bars - do you step on them - have they collapsed? Anyone with any thoughts or advice. Our van is a L2H2 2014 Relay. Thanks, Lesley.

I have discussed this question with my dear wife, Joyce who has three artificial joints, and severe osteoarthritis of the spine.

Joyce's immediate reaction was to suggest a grab handle (mobility aid?) at the cab door. This will help you pull yourself into the cab. When using a hired Ford Transit PVC in NZ earlier this year, Joyce had no difficulty getting into the passenger seat, although she had dislocated her right shoulder in a fal, about two weeks into our stay..

\We hardly ever use the cab doors on our PVC, which is fitted with a slideout step, and an extra DIY handle on the sliding door at internal shoulder height. This makes closing the sliding door much easier..

I urge you to reconsider a slideout step, if the grab handle option is not suitable.

Alan

Alanb - 2018-07-07 1:41 PM....................I urge you to reconsider a slideout step, if the grab handle option is not suitable. Alan

I agree, as it is likely to be the safest remedy. Clearly getting the step installed will be an expense, but properly wired and fitted, they are strong, easy and convenient to use, and retract automatically should you forget when you come to drive off. The problem with loose steps is that they need to be on level ground to be stable, and if unstable are prone to tip over in use, with potentially disastrous consequences for the user. They also take valuable space to carry around.

Thanks for the replies. I have one of those handles which slide into the lock catch on the door frame and find it is great to hold onto getting out and stepping downwards but not so good (for me) to step upwards to get in. It looks like it will have to be the powered retractable step or some kind of grab handle to pull me in, as I am o.k. on the drivers side to pull myself up with the steering wheel. There is a grab handle over the passenger door but it is too high to reach and I tried looping a strap through it to pull up on but I was more likely to fall out backwards as the angle was wrong.

my wife has the same problem with our relay and she has disabilities so we went to b and m and bought a simple

plastic folding step for £4.99. it sits in the door socket and works perfectly for our needs. Hope this helps as sometimes cheaper is better.

Can recommend ESSANJAY. My retractable step for our PVC failed and I took it to ESSANJAY for investigation. It proved to be beyond repair as it was about 10 years old. We had another retractable step on the rear doors which we never use so ESSANJAY suggested swopping the step over. Unfortunately the 2nd step decided to die (we hardly ever used it and it was very jerky with probably rust and muck gumming up the works). So we had to bite the bullet and order a new step, not cheap as it was the wider model. When it came to fitting the brackets weren't the right size nor the wiring arrangement (no automatic retraction when ignition on). All in all ESSANJAY spent over a day and a half trying to sort it out but we were only charged for 3 hours labour.

We did think about just getting a small step but as another contributor has pointed out they can be unstable on uneven ground and since her car accident my wife does have a few issues with balance.

Archived