Van Conversion as ONLY vehicle ?

Rayjsj

hello folks,

I want to find out if it's possible and feasable to use just one vehicle as everyday transport AND be a reasonable home for 2 people and a 'calm' Labrador.? From people who actually do it, and those who gave it up (why ?). I have two at the moment,an ageing Rav4, and an even older Autosleeper talisman coachbuilt. So, it's a decision on getting rid of both and getting a new or nearly new 'upto' 6m van conversion.I am retired so, no commuter trips,just runs to the shops etc.,about 8000miles a year, Would it work ? all experiences valued,(i know that Macmud raised a similar question,but mine is more specific) Thanks. :-D

We have a LWB VW T4 hitop [2.4 metres high 5.2 metres long] which is used pretty much every day although it isn't our only vehicle. If I was running the van that way I would compromise on space and opt for a flip top - but then I don't have a lab - just a hubby (lol)

We did think about one when we got this but thought it might feel a bit claustrophobic.

B-)

We ran a Bedford CF based Dormobile for 12 years as our only vehicle without any problems other than those associated with the mechanics of the gearbox and the carburettor - and a wheel and half shaft sliding out at a set of traffic lights in Reading.

This size vehicle was no bigger than a familly car when it came to parking.

Today, if we had to I would chose a bigger vehicle, probably a Merc Sprinter as it has more car like refinements and a smoother 5 cylinder engine compared to the 4 cylinder very capable work horses fitted to most of the rest. If on a budget then a RWD Transit or Iveco. I don,t like front wheel drive.

I would live with the extra length just as white van man does every day.

As you get older you need your space!

Whatever enjoy all aspects of it.

We three started our motorhoming life in an Autosleeper rising roof VX50, followed by an AS Omega on a Ford, 3 inches wider than the VW. What a difference those 3 inches made at bedtime! We caused much interest on campsites as three larges women emerged from small vans. My husband and I used them both as our only vehicle. The other two owning their own car. We managed very well - my husband wasn't into camping - though it was rather a tight fit! Since my husband died we three have shared a house and moved up to larger vans, mainly to give us more comfort at bedtime.

From our experience you would find it perfectly feasible to manage in a small van. In some ways I very much miss those Auto Sleeper vans with their sliding doors to sit in. It would be interesting to hear how you proceed.

Empress

Clive - 2007-01-25 11:27 AM

Today, if we had to I would chose a bigger vehicle, probably a Merc Sprinter as it has more car like refinements and a smoother 5 cylinder engine compared to the 4 cylinder very capable work horses fitted to most of the rest. If on a budget then a RWD Transit or Iveco. I don,t like front wheel drive.

I like the idea of a Merc Sprinter as an everyday vehicle,not that many manufacturers do van conversions on them though, i have seen a La Strada Regent S, and liked that.Just a bit pricey, the way that Sprinters just 'last and last' appeals to me. The other main contender is a Volkswagen Autosleeper Topaz. Both of the above seem to be 'Sold' everytime i phone up. :-(

Hi Rayisi,

Have a look at my replies to Macmad regarding our Monte Carlo. Almost regardless of the (panel van) conversion I would recommend the Renault Master over the VW T4. We owned an AS Trophy (based on the T4) for about three years - it's a very similar conversion to the Topaz, with the washroom across the rear.

For what is a fairly modest increase in size there is much more space and almost as import a feeling of spaciousness in the Master compared to the T4. This is also in part, due to the more square shape of the Master.

We have been running just one vehicle for about five years and although it is awkward on occasion I do not have the hassle or expense of maintaining a second one and to my mind this far outweighs any inconvenience.

I'm not becoming a cheer leader for the Renault/Monte Carlo but as we have owned both base vehicles I thought my experience might be of interest. :-D

Regards Cattwg

Archived