customs checks

derek pringle

Bulletguy - 2018-07-14 12:23 PM

derek pringle - 2018-07-14 8:44 AM

Hi Bulletguy,

I was,t asked if I would mind giving being tested. I am of the nature that I go along and knew I was below the limit anyway, although I like a drink like many people I only drink when I know I won't be driving, and if it stops a number of passengers staring off their journey already over the limit then the testing serves a purpose. I just thought maybe in the port they would have been checking for other things--pets/people-drugs?

I only ever have a drink when out of UK and never if driving the following day. Just isn't worth the risk. UK should go to zero tolerance as it makes life much easier for everyone who then knows exactly where they stand re. the law.

NL have a 'peculiarity' about drugs. As you will probably know cannabis is on open sale there. Go into a coffee bar and you get a 'menu'. Like UK they have a ban on smoking in public places but when it came to 'pot', that's now only allowed indoors. You have to go to cafes/coffee bars which have a cannabis leaf sign outside.

Germany has a public place smoke ban, but many bar owners ignore it. Here in Bulgaria it's commonplace to have a fag sitting at tables outside fuel stations.

Hi, interesting point you make re smoking as that is one law the French completely seem to ignore.

derek

derek pringle - 2018-07-15 8:58 AM

Bulletguy - 2018-07-14 12:23 PM

derek pringle - 2018-07-14 8:44 AM

Hi Bulletguy,

I was,t asked if I would mind giving being tested. I am of the nature that I go along and knew I was below the limit anyway, although I like a drink like many people I only drink when I know I won't be driving, and if it stops a number of passengers staring off their journey already over the limit then the testing serves a purpose. I just thought maybe in the port they would have been checking for other things--pets/people-drugs?

I only ever have a drink when out of UK and never if driving the following day. Just isn't worth the risk. UK should go to zero tolerance as it makes life much easier for everyone who then knows exactly where they stand re. the law.

NL have a 'peculiarity' about drugs. As you will probably know cannabis is on open sale there. Go into a coffee bar and you get a 'menu'. Like UK they have a ban on smoking in public places but when it came to 'pot', that's now only allowed indoors. You have to go to cafes/coffee bars which have a cannabis leaf sign outside.

Germany has a public place smoke ban, but many bar owners ignore it. Here in Bulgaria it's commonplace to have a fag sitting at tables outside fuel stations.

Hi, interesting point you make re smoking as that is one law the French completely seem to ignore.

derek

They don't have 'smoke police' like we have in UK and are more relaxed. You only have to look at the number of pubs which have closed down in UK since the smoke ban. Even non-smoker friends of mine despaired at the rapidly declining custom which eventually shut down their local for good and they always said pubs should have gone back to the 'smoke room' and lounge.

I got back home through Hull from Rotterdam this morning, having gone out on the Wednesday 27th June crossing. No physical checks on the van either way & no breathelysers on arrival in Rotterdam this time. A caravan that got to the Customs/ Passport area before us in Hull did appear to have been pulled out at random & searched - he was reversing out of the Customs hall as we got to the Passport booth.

Last year was different, though. All motorhomes were being physically searched leaving Hull & all drivers breathelysed on arrival in Rotterdam. All well and good saying "refuse", but they take your passports for inspection & don't return them until you have blown a clear sample. The devices they used were non-contact - you purse your lips & blow through a funnel on top of a hand held unit. First time I have had a check like this in 32 years of fairly regular use of the route.

The process has been going on for many years, though - a couple of collegues using the crossing for business 15 years or so ago failed the test. As stated, they were held (for several hours) until one of them blew a low enough sample - they were then relieved of €900 and allowed to proceed.

Having seen the imprudently large consumption of alcoholic drinks on board (something that P & O encourage, with "bulk buy" offers in the bars), I can't say I am suprised by the Dutch actions. Strangely, P & O don't mention the possibility of being breathelysed leaving the port as they push these offers.

Nigel B

mgnbuk - 2018-07-15 3:45 PM

The process has been going on for many years, though - a couple of collegues using the crossing for business 15 years or so ago failed the test. As stated, they were held (for several hours) until one of them blew a low enough sample - they were then relieved of €900 and allowed to proceed.

So initially being over the limit but not fined until several hours later after they blew under the limit?

Something doesn't quite stack up there!! :-S

Bulletguy - 2018-07-15 6:53 PM

So initially being over the limit but not fined until several hours later after they blew under the limit?

I'm not sure what you think doesn't stack up. Driver is found to be over the limit, prevented from driving until sober, fined for the offence revealed by the initial test and allowed to go on his way. Seems pretty straightforward and logical to me, or am I missing something?

PJay - 2018-07-12 6:30 PM

Laika.brian - 2018-07-11 10:50 PM

Just returned from great trip to UK, sailed Rosslare / Pembroke return.

Renewed passports for children at a cost of nearly €100, never took them out of the folder, did not speak to anyone after check in at Rosslare or coming off at Pembroke.

On return two very nice police people asked for milk and two sugars in their tea as we were going to the ramp for the ship and on Irish side we were asked what nationality all the passengers in the MH were.

However I suspect that the authorities have marked the people of interest!

Let's hope, that when we leave EU, they WILL check all vehicles from Ireland, as that will be the way the illegals will get here! I hope you people living in Ireland , will not object to being asked to show passports! Hopefully the illegals trying that route, will NOT have passports

I have no problem with people coming to UK, after Brexit, just that they are genuine visitors .

I see in the papers that more University places in Uk are being requested by Eu and other countries students. So they must think it will a great place to live, even if only tempory

PJay

There is to be no changes to the borders in Ireland. Thats now written into law although how our government make that work is yet to be seen but the people of Northern Ireland certainly would object to being stopped and asked to show passports at any border on the Island of Ireland.

aandy - 2018-07-16 9:20 AM

I'm not sure what you think doesn't stack up. Driver is found to be over the limit, prevented from driving until sober, fined for the offence revealed by the initial test and allowed to go on his way. Seems pretty straightforward and logical to me, or am I missing something?

Fined 'several hours later after blowing under the limit' according to the poster. I know it wasn't UK but police procedure is roadside breath test...if positive then taken to station for either blood, urine or another breathalyser machine which is more precise. If still above the limit then charge/fine would have taken place then, not 'several hours later' when a person is clear.

Most logical to me is the sooner we bring in zero tolerance the better, then everyone knows exactly where they stand with the law.

Bulletguy - 2018-07-16 11:07 AM

aandy - 2018-07-16 9:20 AM

Fined 'several hours later after blowing under the limit' according to the poster. I know it wasn't UK but police procedure is roadside breath test...if positive then taken to station for either blood, urine or another breathalyser machine which is more precise. If still above the limit then charge/fine would have taken place then, not 'several hours later' when a person is clear.

Most logical to me is the sooner we bring in zero tolerance the better, then everyone knows exactly where they stand with the law.

In the UK the fine would have been imposed weeks or even months later in a magistrates court. Pure speculation on my part, but maybe Dutch law requires a defendant to be sober when a penalty is imposed, or perhaps the police are just not too keen on arguing the toss with drunks. Either way, the fine is quite obviously imposed as a consequence of the failed test, and I cannot see how the precise timing is an issue.

Archived