Glass hob top wanted

Vernon

Hi after having the glass top explode into a million pieces (someone left the gas on!). Was still picking glass out of my home a week later!

Anyway, need a Thetford hob glass model s-HB 14200. Any ideas where?

Thanks Andy

Wasn't Me - 2018-07-14 5:49 PM

Hope you get one.

Why don't they put a safety valve on the lids, like domestic kitchen ones?

Because they can sell more when folk forget to turn the gas off! ;-)

To be fair to the op it's safe to say the majority of motorhome fittings are not as robustly made as domestic and easily broken. Needless to say they are also expensive.

Wasn't Me - 2018-07-14 5:49 PM

Why don't they put a safety valve on the lids, like domestic kitchen ones?

On every van we have had in recent years they do - but the hob is still very hot if you shut it too soon after turning the flame off and that is what can happen if you are unlucky.

Bet he won't do it again!!

Thanks all for the suggestions. Yes I've learnt my lesson, the expensive way, hence looking for a cheap alternative. I'm sure buying from Thetford is the expensive way (I'll enquirer about cost) however I thought buying from a dismantler/independent merchant would be less painful. I'll look into having a piece of glass cut and tempered. You never know I might start a trend! I'll Let you know the outcome.

I broke one a couple of years ago because I hadn’t secured something in a cupboard that dropped when I opened it. Burstner wanted silly money but Perthshire Caravans tracked the original manufacturer number so I git it for £60 rather than £100+. Thetford might surprise you

Vernon - 2018-07-15 9:35 AM

. I'll look into having a piece of glass cut and tempered. You never know I might start a trend! I'll Let you know the outcome.

They carry tempered glass mine for a 2 burner hob was £17 been fine for 3 yrs now

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update on the glass top. I've checked prices, found replacement at £78.

So I made a template and had one made for £38. Which isn't bad as I can now keep the template, just in case.... Thanks for all your comments, happy journeys.

So many people when something like this breaks get ripped off buying replacement doors from the original manufactures at inflated prices when there glazier can make a replacement for very little. Oven doors, log burner doors are just a few that can be cut to suit

Archived