Abuse of mobile phone privacy

Tracker

I hate the wretched things and only ever use an old dumb phone if and when I want to make or take a call, but my dear wife loves her smartphone - or she did until she got a new one and now we get unsolicited texts from them whenever we visit some business premises.

We do make a point of not buying anything from these hateful people who are so desperate that they think invading our privacy is a valid way to get business, well it ain't and we resent the intrusion!

I've searched the phone settings and tried to google it but as I don't know what they call it, probably something totally misleading in poncey technogaga, I am not getting anywhere?

Can anyone help please - thanks folks.

As I understand it, either the company knows your number, or you are called by a robo-caller that starts calling 00000000001 and gently works its way through the phone book by generating the next number.

Not much you can do about the latter, but you should be able to block calls by blocking contacts in your phones contacts app.

If you try web search "" block contact Apple"" "block contact Samsung "". You should get the details of blocking the caller.

I think this will also block texts as well.

If you have the caller number, you should have access to blocking it, without having to write it down and reenter the number.

Rgds

Thanks, but that's not quite how I see it!

We only get text messages not calls (yet?) and only from companies whose premises we have passed through and certainly never made a spoken enquiry.

No random marketing calls as yet as these appear to be specifically targetted because the phone was switched on as we walked through, or even close to, the premises

I don't know how much truth is in it(it sounded b/s to me) but we were chatting with a chap that we were pitched next to at a festival earlier in the year and he was convinced that,after him and his OH had been discussing a topic.when they opened their "device"(can't recall whether it was smart phone or tablet),they had ads pertinent to the topic they'd been discussing?

As I say,it sounded fanciful (and more likely that one of them had previously browsed the topic)

But he was convinced not....? :-S

Archived