Alpine route via the Rombo/Timmelsjoch pass

laimeduck

I am looking at at transiting the Alps from the Dolomites to Germany toll free in my 3850Kg Benimar. I have used the Reschen pass a few times with the Stelvio, and could use the Brenner or Gross Glockner although these are further East than I really want.

Being adventurous, I have found the Timmelsjoch (Rombo) pass which looks interesting & possible BUT the road on the Austrian side is a toll road.

What I need to know is - is this a toll road under the Go Box or is it simply toll because it's in the mountains? I'm happy to pay the toll, but I don't want to fall foul of the Go Box rules.

Anyone used it or have any idea on this please?

Thanks in advance
Jeremy

pottypam - 2018-07-29 2:40 PMhttps://www.dangerousroads.org/europe/austria/3357-timmelsjoch-high-alpine-road-austria-2.htmlThis site has comprehensive info. The toll section appears to be just a toll road, similar to the Gross Glockner. Looks interesting!
Yes I read that along wirh other reports - it does look interesting doesn't it?!

You'll find all the info here:

https://www.timmelsjoch.com/en/rates/

Whilst I've visited the Ötztal a good few times, I've never attempted the Timmelsjoch (though I believe it has been improved over the years).

The campsites in the Ötztal at Soelden and Umhausen come highly recommended. The former is flatter, and potentially has more commerce round about, the latter is in a more pleasant village setting (with good walks direct from the campsite, including a waterfall with dramatic suspension bridge - free, but finding a flat pitch may be a bit more challenging if it is busy.

Personally, I'd use the Reschen Pass (or the Grossglockner if you've never done it - easy and dramatic road, just watch your brakes on the way down!).

Looks to be a really scenic road and certainly fairly easy. Although no doubt it could be a nuisance if the traffic was heavy.

It's never been on my radar and life sadly gets shorter *-) (lol)

Robinhood - 2018-07-29 3:29 PMYou'll find all the info here:https://www.timmelsjoch.com/en/rates/Whilst I've visited the Ötztal a good few times, I've never attempted the Timmelsjoch (though I believe it has been improved over the years).The campsites in the Ötztal at Soelden and Umhausen come highly recommended. The former is flatter, and potentially has more commerce round about, the latter is in a more pleasant village setting (with good walks direct from the campsite, including a waterfall with dramatic suspension bridge - free, but finding a flat pitch may be a bit more challenging if it is busy.Personally, I'd use the Reschen Pass (or the Grossglockner if you've never done it - easy and dramatic road, just watch your brakes on the way down!).

Thanks for the info Robinhood - I'm in no particular rush and am a bit of a "pass collector" - the scenery is just stunning in these areas and something different is always welcome. The sites you mention are in ACSI Eurocampings and do look interesting, if a tad pricey. I think we might just press on to Imst where there are a couple of Camping Card ACSI sites.
I think I have my answer ref Go Box on this map which quite usefully shows the expressways "Schnellstrassen" from this site http://www.multiservicetolls.com/wp-content/uploads/output_1505758500.htm

1739721243_Austriatollroadsgobox.jpg.8872add313d35047d96e606cdb84aaa7.jpg

laimeduck - 2018-07-29 5:33 PM

Thanks for the info Robinhood - I'm in no particular rush and am a bit of a "pass collector" - the scenery is just stunning in these areas and something different is always welcome. The sites you mention are in ACSI Eurocampings and do look interesting, if a tad pricey.

I agree, neither is cheap, (Soelden in particular) but the facilities can't be described as anything but excellent. Their situation in the Oetz valley is also somewhat nicer than Imst (IMO).

Not sure of your timing, but you'll only have a short window when ACSI discounts apply and the Timmelsjoch is open. ;-)

Guest pelmetman
Robinhood - 2018-07-29 3:29 PM

Personally, I'd use the Reschen Pass (or the Grossglockner if you've never done it - easy and dramatic road, just watch your brakes on the way down!).

Went to the Grossglockner a decade or more ago ;-) ..............

Dunno what you folk see in ice? :-S ..........

Although I felt at home in the Eagles Nest :D .........

laimeduck - 2018-07-29 3:20 PM

pottypam - 2018-07-29 2:40 PMhttps://www.dangerousroads.org/europe/austria/3357-timmelsjoch-high-alpine-road-austria-2.htmlThis site has comprehensive info. The toll section appears to be just a toll road, similar to the Gross Glockner. Looks interesting!
Yes I read that along wirh other reports - it does look interesting doesn't it?!

Distinctly "interesting"! :-) I've just had a peek on the Italian side - where Google Streets works.

The reason for the restriction on trucks and trailers is apparently a number of narrow tunnels on the Italian side and, looking at these in "Streets", they are round in section so, with a motorhome, I'd guess you'd need the centre of the road to be certain of keeping your top corners away from the tunnel roof.

It might be worth checking if motorhomes are permitted traffic (Italian tourist office?), as it seems only to be trucks that are banned, and it also seems buses run - though I have no idea what size buses.

It is clear the roadside is quite "craggy" in places, with a degree of overhang, though the "Street" view from its elevated camera doesn't allow a realistic take on how tight the road really is. I think it would be slow going on the Italian side, as it is steep and very twisting. Apparently there is a bike race of sorts up on the Austrian (Ötztaler Cycling Marathon) side in the last Sunday in August, so probably wisest to avoid that! :-D

The Austrian side is apparently easier graded, and less twisting. The pass is stated to be easiest north to south.

If I've got the right van, yours has a longish, low looking, rear overhang, so I wonder what the risk is of grounding the tail on some of the uphill hairpins. Some of the transitions look fairly abrupt on the inside of the turns.

Brian Kirby - 2018-07-29 6:18 PM

It might be worth checking if motorhomes are permitted traffic (Italian tourist office?), as it seems only to be trucks that are banned, and it also seems buses run - though I have no idea what size buses.

...they are allowed Brian, the details are in the link I've posted above, viz:

Traffic Permission

There are no restrictions as regards using the Timmelsjoch High Alpine Road on the Austrian side right up to the summit

However, due to the steep, narrow road conditions and bridge constructions on the Italian side, the following restrictions apply:

Cars and motorcycles are permitted

Motor homes and small lorries are permitted - max. gross weight 8 tons, max. width 2.55 m, max. height 4 m

Small buses are permitted – max. overall length 10 m, max. gross weight 8 tons

Buses with an overall length of over 10 m or a gross weight exceeding 8 tons are not permitted

Lorries with an overall weight exceeding 8 tons are not permitted

Trailers with a length over 4.5 me are not permitted

I *have* heard accounts from people who have been over, and the tunnels and (historically at least) unguarded edges have caused some concern.

Hence my preference for the Reschen Pass, or Grossglockner if an "experience" is sought.

Thanks Brian & Robinhood. I have, as said, been over many passes with the motorhome including the Stelvio which has hairpins, overhangs & narrow tunnels & the Splugen which is the same and has more unguarded edges. 

We have never had a problem so far and have never grounded the rear end, even though on the Splugen we had to do 3 point turns around a couple of hairpins, they were so tight. The likely timing will be mid/late September, so out of the holiday rush. 
I'll have a good look at street view & if not possible then may opt for GrossGlockner. The last time I went over that was in a Ford Popular in the 1950's. (Wet flannel on the carb job at the top!)

Mabel.jpg.a6b26092e4083f5956999f92d4ca06d8.jpg

...late September you'll have to keep an eye on the weather. (I've been caught by quite heavy snow on some of the lower Austrian passes in mid-September!). That permitting, I've little doubt you'll get over/through, though (I think I've been over worse roads in Slovenia this year, though not entirely voluntarily ;-) )

If you do reconsider, then the "Nationalpark" camping at Heiligenblut, right at the foot of the Grossglockner, makes for a pleasant stay, and an early-ish start avoids the crowds on the top, which makes for a much more pleasant experience (mid-priced for Austria).

Heiligenblut.jpg.4f8e02453af8c00163bb2d78f9b9e3ae.jpg

Hi Jeremy.

If you use the Glossglockner it's pretty expensive, about £32+ last time I used it, thats one way. It's well worth a couple of hours stop at the Kaiser-Franz-Josef-Hole. There's a small car museum there and its free, one of these are on show..lol (see photo). I agree with RH about the campsite at Heiligenblut, good restaurant on site and the owner is a bit of a car (no more cars though) and bike nut, he has a couple of bikes on show in the restaurant. A nice 2/3hr round walk up the valley to a 200ft waterfall, (photo). After the pass we usualy go over the Gerlos Pass via the Krimml Waterfall which is in a national park, so a small toll. The Gerlos pass takes you to the Zillertal Valley. Head for Jenbach (Innsbruck sign) then pick up the Achensee direction. When you get to Maurach there is a campsite there, it's clean and ok for a few nights but nothing special. There is another site at the North end of the lake at Achenkirch. After that it's up to the German border. At the 1st large town Tegernsee, go up the left side of the lake, don't go through Tegernsee it's a bit of a nightmare then follow the Munich..Munchen direction.

It's a long time since I went over the Timmelsjoch and the toll was just for going over the pass on the Austrian side and the toll booth is just on the Austrian side at the top through the tunnel. RH is correct about the weather up there, you are not far off the same height as the Stelvio.

Dave

Won't let me attach photos Jeremy, sorry.

nowtelse2do - 2018-07-30 11:13 PMHi Jeremy. If you use the Glossglockner it's pretty expensive, about £32+ last time I used it, thats one way. It's well worth a couple of hours stop at the Kaiser-Franz-Josef-Hole. There's a small car museum there and its free, one of these are on show..lol (see photo). I agree with RH about the campsite at Heiligenblut, good restaurant on site and the owner is a bit of a car (no more cars though) and bike nut, he has a couple of bikes on show in the restaurant. A nice 2/3hr round walk up the valley to a 200ft waterfall, (photo). After the pass we usualy go over the Gerlos Pass via the Krimml Waterfall which is in a national park, so a small toll. The Gerlos pass takes you to the Zillertal Valley. Head for Jenbach (Innsbruck sign) then pick up the Achensee direction. When you get to Maurach there is a campsite there, it's clean and ok for a few nights but nothing special. There is another site at the North end of the lake at Achenkirch. After that it's up to the German border. At the 1st large town Tegernsee, go up the left side of the lake, don't go through Tegernsee it's a bit of a nightmare then follow the Munich..Munchen direction. It's a long time since I went over the Timmelsjoch and the toll was just for going over the pass on the Austrian side and the toll booth is just on the Austrian side at the top through the tunnel. RH is correct about the weather up there, you are not far off the same height as the Stelvio. Dave Won't let me attach photos Jeremy, sorry.

Dave - great info thanks very much! 

Funny how things go isn't it. My day to day car is "Doris" and I actually drove her over the Alps to Mennagio en route to Monaco and Nice for the 2010 Historic Grand Prix. If she'd have known there was a relative on GrossGlockner who knows - the pitter patter of tiny Michelins?

I might just have to do the GrossGlockner route now!

1569358670_doris2010.jpg.0a0e42604d4e62dfa60da4195941ec7f.jpg

It's been a long time since I did the Timmelsjoch, and then I was cycling, and not in a motorhome. It's obviously had some improvements since then, at least on the Austrian side.

The summit tunnel was straight, albeit fairly narrow and poorly surfaced, it also had doors on each end! I doubt that the Italian side has changed very much, and as others have said, the tunnels whilst short, are tight. It is a 'proper' Alpine pass, and completely different in character to the Grossglockner.

Good luck if you choose to do it, but I don't think I'll be doing it in a motorhome.

Roger

Archived