Tayna batteries

hymer1942

It's Tayna, and they supply quickly and at a good price.

However if you ask them for advice the people you speak to are sales people and not qualified to give technical advice so as long as you know what you want and don't expect two batteries to neccessarily be a matched pair they should be fine.

There are plenty of other suppliers and plenty of adice on here, particularly from 'aandncaravans' where Allan is a wonderful source of information.

Have a read of this -

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Don-t-mention-the-/49562/91/#M574442

I am currently having an issue with Tanya batteries. I ordered a matched pair of Exide ET650 leisure batteries from them and when they arrived one had an older label on so I weight them and measured the voltage. The one with the older label measured 12.26 V the other 12.6 V Both underweight too. 26.1 KG instead of the 27 KG as stated in Exide's technical specification. The AH rating was also wrong. As far as I'm concerned Tanya sent me a battery that was not fit for purpose and had been sitting in stock for a considerable period. They agreed to collected and refund me in full. The batteries have been collected and lost by the collection company and Tanya are dragging their feet over the refund. There's a lesson to be learnt here. Don't take anything for face value and check the batteries your getting are a matched pair and fit for purpose.

In January this year I asked Tanya Batteries for information about returning a suspected faulty battery to them under their four year warranty and they gave me very specific details as to how the battery should be packed. I then asked them which courier to use. In an email they told me:

"The best way to return the battery to us is to use an online courier comparison website called PARCEL2GO. When listing the item for return please refer to it as an ACCUMULATOR (the technical term for a battery), not a battery, this will ensure that your item is returned to us."

I completed an online order with PARCEL2GO which included the dimensions and weight of the parcel (about 26Kg). I chose the most convenient Parcelforce drop-off point offered to me.

I took the parcel to the drop-off point but the next day I was informed that Parcelforce would not take my parcel on the grounds that it weighed over 15Kg so I had to return to the drop off point to collect it. I was not offered a refund. I later discovered that batteries are included on a "prohibited items" list which is a more likely reason why they would not take the parcel.

I am at a loss to understand why Tayna Batteries would not have already have known this.

Subsequently I asked Tanya Batteries if they had any further suggestions as to just how to return a battery to them but I never received a coherent reply.

In hindsight I was surprised that Tanya Batteries were not able to be more helpful and do not appear have a mechanism for the return of faulty batteries as is the case with some other battery distributors.

So having wasted a very considerable amount of time in preparing the parcel, humping a 26Kg battery back and forth and having incurred a non-reimbursible courier charge of around £11.00 for the pleasure of doing this ... I gave up!

A day or so later I ordered a new Varta LFD90 from Batterymegastore, having established that should you need to return a suspected faulty battery to them within the warranty period they already have a mechanism in place for doing so.

I have used Alpha for both my leisure and starter batteries over the years and had no problem with them. Its next day delivery and its also FREE delivery which can be a huge saving on such a heavy item. I believe Tanya charge extra for the delivery. Satisfied customer.

chas - 2018-08-02 4:00 PM

I have used Alpha for both my leisure and starter batteries over the years and had no problem with them. Its next day delivery and its also FREE delivery which can be a huge saving on such a heavy item. I believe Tanya charge extra for the delivery. Satisfied customer.

Alpha's prices are consistently higher than their competitors, the difference being near enough the same as the competitors' delivery charges. It would be more accurate to say delivery included, it's certainly not free.

aandy - 2018-08-02 5:51 PM

Alpha's prices are consistently higher than their competitors, the difference being near enough the same as the competitors' delivery charges. It would be more accurate to say delivery included, it's certainly not free.

Tayna are listing the LFD90 at 94.85 + £9.18 delivery = £104.03.

Alpha are listing it with delivery at £104.99.

The Alpha advert does say "INCLUDING VAT & DELIVERY" Doesn't say anything about 'Free' delivery?

Given that few will spend £20 in fuel to go and pick up from Tayna near Llandudno in North Wales, isn't that comparable?

The problem with Tayna is that the last few times I have dealt with them they have tried to push their poor quality 'own brand' Enduroline batteries saying they were better than a Varta.

Not being honest.

Their prices used to be the best but, but that is no longer the case.

Service has gone South as well.

More to the point, rather than saving every last quid, who will guarantee to supply you with two matched batteries if you ask and who gives the best actual real world (not theoretical) warranty and who has a return system in place that is dependable should you ever need it?

That should narrow the choice somewhat!

Another battery retailer has seen the threads about Alpha Batteries and been in touch, but their approach is very much about increasing market share, not about improving the market or service. So not taking it further.

Had this today about the quality of batteries and their returns, which is relevant to this thread : -

"Our highest return rate without doubt by ratio is Banner wet lead acid. These returns only include a very small amount of actual battery/manufacturing defects.

They come back boiled dry, swollen and sulfated and cause us huge problems with the end user.

Not sure what's going on there, I'm aware that they are a thirsty unit but the regular sulfation is a concern. Raised lids around the positive terminals and bulging sides.

Something is different for sure with the Banner wet range as the return rate doesn't stack up.

We have also had a bad run in terms of sales ratio to return on Exide this year, remarkably with bad cells".

Not surprised about the Banners performance given Roadpro's massive advertising campaign a few years ago saying they were maintenance free. People still believe that campaign even though Roadpro made a u-turn a little while ago and started reporting they were showing higher than usual fluid consumption so needed checking regularly.

Sorry, but at the moment, one of the few pleasures I have is being able to say, "Told you so".

aandncaravan - 2018-08-02 7:24 PM

aandy - 2018-08-02 5:51 PM

Tayna are listing the LFD90 at 94.85 + £9.18 delivery = £104.03.

Alpha are listing it with delivery at £104.99.

The Alpha advert does say "INCLUDING VAT & DELIVERY" Doesn't say anything about 'Free' delivery?

Given that few will spend £20 in fuel to go and pick up from Tayna near Llandudno in North Wales, isn't that comparable?

It is Indeed. I was not suggesting that Alpha are more expensive overall, simply pointing out that, contrary to Chas' assertion, their inclusive pricing does not represent a significant saving. I was encouraged by their recent exchanges with you and, for that reason, they will be my first port of call when I next need a battery (which will probably be next week).

Have used Tayna to purchase two Varta LFD90' - didn't ask for their advice as I knew that was what I wanted - good service and good price. They arrived on time and well packed. However, in light of recent information I would certainly give Alpha Batteries a try should I need to buy more.

David

Tayna don't have the Yuasa L36-EFB in stock, no one does, it has been delayed rollout until mid/end August.

Tayna have sold the Yuasa L36-100 saying it is the same battery as the L36-EFB, which it isn't. The L36-EFB (Enhanced Flooded Battery) is much newer technology and high spec than the L36-100, by quite a margin.

Tayna being naughty again.

Although the L36-EFB beat the Varta LFD90 in a comparison test on cycles, capacity and other features, I am not sure the L36-EFB will have the same resistance to internal corrosion on higher/longer charge voltages of some chargers.

Like, for example, later Elektroblock EBL 119 Gel/AGM chargers.

For those we still recommend the Silver Powerframe technology of the Varta LFD90.

Silver technology batteries are proven to cope with higher charge voltages, Powerframe technology takes it up another level again.

So bearing in mind your other post about migrating from AGM to Flooded, what we suggest in that post would be all we suggest, not the Yuasa.

Hymer1942, Anyone buying the Varta LFD90 from Alpha Batteries that mentions us may be offered a small discount. The discount is discretionary.

More commitment from Alpha Batteries.

Alpha Batteries have just agreed to investigate changing their website to include more information, including battery cycle life, ideal charging voltages, etc and lay it out in a Traffic Light style format.

This will hopefully lead to more information being available, but in an easy to understand format.

It is based on how our new national battery labelling idea might look, so might be a good guide to how our proposal will shape up.

Our web page has been updated -"Campaign for Battery Change" : http://www.aandncaravanservices.co.uk/campaign-for-battery-change.php

See the proposal for a national labelling scheme at the bottom of the webpage.

The Alpha Batteries email to us today stated -

"Hello Allan, The more information the customer gets at the point of sale and enquiry the better. We need to apply what's happening on the phones now to the website. (This refers to the recent retraining of the phone desk staff to increase their technical knowledge and so give better advice).

We do have more information than most at this stage, but it can and will be much better.

I have emailed our web company with an outline of making key specs readable in traffic light format. They will get back to me with the options we can implement and the timescales.

So, do you think these key points should be under the traffic light system :-

Voltage

Capacity

Cycles

CCA - EN DUAL PURPOSE

Watt Hours

Charge Voltage

Weight

Fluid consumption

Venting required?

I'm really committed to the plans and hope you don't feel this is marketing or lip service.

Watch this space... I can't do it overnight but good plans are in place.

John"

I genuinely believe this company mean to be the best by adopting an ethics based policy of working.

Not Targets and sales and ripping people off.

I for one am going to give them a chance to show us what they can do.

They have been more positive in 2 weeks than Tayna ever have.

Archived