Advice on if its worth buying a portable DAB Radio.

BML

I don't carry a TV in my camper when I'm wandering round the country (Britain) so I used to use a radio to keep up with the news on BBC 4.

Recently I found that the BBC 4 news service is not up to much and I thought back with envy to the days when the BBC broadcasted their World Service but that got the chop other than via the computer or on DAB.

However, I've heard so many criticisms of DAB and the need to have a special antenna that I wonder if its worth going that route so would anyone care to share their experience with a portable DAB in a Motor Caravan wandering round Britain.

StuartO - 2018-08-03 12:23 PM

We carry a portable DAB radio and it seems to receive signals very reliably.  No special antenna, just a built in whip aerial you have to pull out when you switch on.

So do we. My wife and I both have tiny Sony pocket DAB radios which we have on through the night with earpieces. Surprisingly excellent sound quality and clarity. World Service available in some parts of Northern Europe. Rechargeable with supplied cable (USB).

We don't carry a TV either, but use a small 'Pure' DAB radio which works well in most areas with just its telescopic aerial. Reception was been a bit patchy in N.Scotland, but FM is better and in the worst cases, Radio 4 works on the Long wave. The builtin DAB in my wife's car also works well everywhere we've been so far.

We had a DAB in the early days and it was not always good, but nowadays it seems mainly sorted.

At the workshop it's halfway between two transmitters, on normal VHF it's carp and often have to retune depending on atmospheric conditions, the DAB works perfectly.

blaven - 2018-08-03 12:58 PM

We carry a portable DAB radio and it seems to receive signals very reliably.  No special antenna, just a built in whip aerial you have to pull out when you switch on.

So do we. My wife and I both have tiny Sony pocket DAB radios which we have on through the night with earpieces. Surprisingly excellent sound quality and clarity. World Service available in some parts of Northern Europe. Rechargeable with supplied cable (USB).

What is the model?

I use the Roberts Sports Dab in the van and in my gym , small though adequate speaker if needed ( I also use a bluetooth dongle and wireless speaker if more fidelity wanted . )

Radio on the go I use ApplePlay via my Alpine Head Unit in the van . I replaced the OEM unit in the PEUGEOT cab , some say DAB is dead and internet radio is the way forward .

yeti - 2018-08-03 3:42 PM

blaven - 2018-08-03 12:58 PM

What is the model?

Sony XDR-P1DBP It says here.

Archived