Another Omnistep slide-out thread...

simon_g

I posted this on rooster's 2016 thread, as it's a similar problem with a sticking slide-out step, but not sure if anyone will pick it up from a dormant thread... Main question is how do I detach the operating arms from the step: note this is the older model, not current one with 'no tools required' disconnection.

I've had a similar problem, Omni/Thule slide-out step. Assumed it was mechanically stuck due to crud, etc. Have removed from van and stripped down, so no mechanical load. [Thanks to Brian Kirby for his old post on disassembly] But: how do I remove the bushes holding the operating arms (bolts removed: note these will not come out if step is fully retracted)?

Have 12V on motor feed when operating switch, reversing polarity to extend retract. When step connected, all I get is a lttle jump when operating the switch but no movement. Possible the alarm/limit switch is faulty? How do I test it? Any other suggestions?

Anyone know how to get into this worm-drive gearbox fomr the Omnistep slide-out? Looks like the cover MIGHT unscrew, given the dimples in the top face. It does not simply lever off. Help appreciated; currently it's knackered anyway (seized solid) so if I end up trashing it there's no loss.

744727559_Ominstepgearbox2.jpg.01f3ed256dcc13bf97e657f962438a85.jpg

This is 'sort of' connected, I used my Milenco triple wedge on a smooth (but uneven) concrete pitch, result was it shot under my panel van conversion and jammed itself into the Thule omnistep.....jamming it and bending a few bits of metal. Rather than spend £265 on a new one, i decided to have a go at repairing it.

The hard part was removing it from the van, but once removed disassembly was relatively easy, the 'bent bit' was the letterbox type slot that it slides into, the alloy step was slightly bent, but that was straightened easily, the method how it worked was easy to see, with the power attached (but be very careful, this could remove fingers easily !) Metal letterbox hammered straight, all moving parts covered with white grease and tested, moving parts resealed into cassette then refitted under van. Job done....step still working 2 years on.

Archived