Buying a car

Violet1956

At last I have been given permission to buy a car having been without one since my lease car went back in January this year. It’s been a pain sharing one car + van with the OH. Torn between a mid-life crisis 7-year-old SLK 200 and a sensible 3-year-old Golf. I think I would look daft/desperate as 60+ year old in the former. I always remember a slight on Porsche drivers, the car always looked great but the driver seldom lived up to that description. Also, as a smoker I am struggling to find a car with an ashtray. Don’t berate me, you are entitled to refuse a lift if the reek from the dog and my Silk cut offend you - my car my rules. If you had a choice would it be the Merc or the Golf?

Veronica

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Based on the fact that you only live once there will probably be time enough to be sensible later - meanwhile go for it and be a Merc dolly girl - and if you don't live long enough all you will have missed carwise is a Golf - no big deal - as long as you can get in and out of the Merc with a modicum of decorum!

Tracker - 2018-08-11 6:39 PM

Based on the fact that you only live once there will probably be time enough to be sensible later - meanwhile go for it and be a Merc dolly girl - and if you don't live long enough all you will have missed carwise is a Golf - no big deal - as long as you can get in and out of the Merc with a modicum of decorum!

Thanks Rich. You have given me much food for thought.I can still do the decorous swivel on my backside with knees together when exiting any vehicle. However there remains a sensible gremlin whispering in my ear. :-(

Violet1956 - 2018-08-11 6:07 PM

Torn between a mid-life crisis 7-year-old SLK 200 and a sensible 3-year-old Golf.

I think I would look daft/desperate as 60+ year old in the former.

Veronica

Depends what you intend to use it for.

If it's just for going shopping the Merc might be a bit over the top -

…………………. and would the extra expense ( insurance and fuel consumption ? ) be worth it.

But the advantage of the Merc is that you have more room to spread out and relax when sitting in traffic jams

Image and car ownership are purely subjective - so I tend to go for practicality.

;-)

Guest pelmetman
Violet1956 - 2018-08-11 6:07 PM

At last I have been given permission to buy a car having been without one since my lease car went back in January this year. It’s been a pain sharing one car + van with the OH. Torn between a mid-life crisis 7-year-old SLK 200 and a sensible 3-year-old Golf. I think I would look daft/desperate as 60+ year old in the former. I always remember a slight on Porsche drivers, the car always looked great but the driver seldom lived up to that description. Also, as a smoker I am struggling to find a car with an ashtray. Don’t berate me, you are entitled to refuse a lift if the reek from the dog and my Silk cut offend you - my car my rules. If you had a choice would it be the Merc or the Golf?

Veronica

Given permission??? 8-) ...........

Damn I thought you were my equal *-) ...........

That said I dunno why anyone with an ounce of sense would buy Kraut Krap >:-) ..........

I had a diesel Golf 1.9 for ten years initially as a spare run around and it finally needed dumping earlier this year but it was bullet proof. Boring but even I couldn't break it.

I've had some fun cars but if I was going for a roadster I would go for the Honda S2000. Nicer looking, faster and probably more reliable than the merc or even if I really wanted the hair dresser look a Mazda mx5. They won't break down or cost the earth to fix if they do. The Merc probably will.

You only live once though so go for it. Check the tax bracket as well as insurence though.

An Ostentatious car, like a £10k Rolex, says something that will impress people in some circles, but be a social liability in others. They might question why it wouldn't give you more pleasure to buy a £10 watch and give the difference to the poor and needy. Might even think it serves you right when you get it stolen.

Barryd999 - 2018-08-12 10:20 AM

You only live once though so go for it. .

I've always thought " going for it " meant doing something a bit out of the ordinary - like bungee jumping , or sky diving - not simply buying a bigger car.

;-)

John52 - 2018-08-12 10:37 AM

An Ostentatious car, like a £10k Rolex, says something that will impress people in some circles, but be a social liability in others. They might question why it wouldn't give you more pleasure to buy a £10 watch and give the difference to the poor and needy. Might even think it serves you right when you get it stolen.

I hardly think a seven year old SLK qualifies as ostentatious but they are nice to be in and good to drive, much more fun than a Golf, and having worked and saved for many years it could be said that Veronoica is entitled to spend her money how she sees fit and not how others suggest she should.

If the poor and needy fancy a Merc then they should work and save too and not expect others to fund them.

malc d - 2018-08-12 10:54 AM

I've always thought " going for it " meant doing something a bit out of the ordinary - like bungee jumping , or sky diving - not simply buying a bigger car.

;-)

Well to most people owning a sports car would be something out of the ordinary and probably something they can only dream of. And they can be exciting as bungee jumping or sky diving. Ive had one or two but Im banned from owning anything fast these days on account of being a hooligan. :'(

Dont settle for the SLK Veronica. Get something completely bonkers like a Morgan or TVR. Can I come for a ride? (lol)

Muswell - 2018-08-12 12:55 PM

We sold our Golf just as it reached its 6th birthday because it had cost £3500 in repairs in the previous 8 months. The T4 we had from new was almost as bad, the auto box failed at 500 miles and had to be replaced....and on it went.

My brother's experience with Krautmobiles is similar, and our own experience with the ubiquitous BMWs was similar, with the dealer attitude being the worst aspect.

In 2008 we switched to Japanese cars and in spite of some being up to 10 years old with over 100.000 miles we have never had a breakdown or repair or a visit to the dealer other than for service or recall.

On that basis a Mazda MX5 might be worth a look? It might not have the kudos of an SLK but it does not have the bills either, and a metal folding roof version looks stunning in certain colours.

Tracker - 2018-08-12 1:06 PM

Muswell - 2018-08-12 12:55 PM

We sold our Golf just as it reached its 6th birthday because it had cost £3500 in repairs in the previous 8 months. The T4 we had from new was almost as bad, the auto box failed at 500 miles and had to be replaced....and on it went.

My brother's experience with Krautmobiles is similar, and our own experience with the ubiquitous BMWs was similar, with the dealer attitude being the worst aspect.

In 2008 we switched to Japanese cars and in spite of some being up to 10 years old with over 100.000 miles we have never had a breakdown or repair or a visit to the dealer other than for service or recall.

On that basis a Mazda MX5 might be worth a look? It might not have the kudos of an SLK but it does not have the bills either, and a metal folding roof version looks stunning in certain colours.

I agree or the Honda if you want to lose your licence. My Golf was the older 1.9, the newer ones are crap apparently. Had a few Hondas and several Mazdas over the years and all were totally reliable. My favourite was the 2.2 Vtec Honda Prelude. I did 120000 miles in that mainly at warp speed and it never let me down.

You’ve all given me much food for thought thanks. It’s the OH who says I should seriously consider buying the merc. My son has added his sixpenneth and says he hates the ostentatious oversize badge on the front. We are not experts on cars and we’ve always been quite mean in terms of outlay when it comes to buying them. Didn’t know that the Golf had gone downhill in terms of reliability. It’s not what I’ve read about them in the usual online mags. We have an ageing Peugeot estate that we intend to run until it has to meet its maker and the van’s 12 years old. That probably sums us up in terms of our usual approach to buying and owning our wheels. The most expensive car we've ever had, and the one that was the best of all, was a 1999 classic old box shape V70, all singing all dancing with cream leather seats. I almost cried when it had to go because it developed too many electrical faults after 13 years of ownership. In my heart I want that kind of luxury in a small car for not much money. Probably doesn't exist.

Violet1956 - 2018-08-12 5:27 PM

In my heart I want that kind of luxury in a small car for not much money. Probably doesn't exist.

A well specced Lexus CT is a small(ish) car with lots of luxury, stylish, nice (if unexciting) to drive, plus (Toyota) reliability, and easy on the pocket too!

Tracker - 2018-08-12 6:08 PM

In my heart I want that kind of luxury in a small car for not much money. Probably doesn't exist.

A well specced Lexus CT is a small(ish) car with lots of luxury, stylish, nice (if unexciting) to drive, plus (Toyota) reliability, and easy on the pocket too!

If only Alan Partridge hadn't uttered the most damning indictment... on second thoughts that might be a good reason to buy one..."nice".

Violet1956 - 2018-08-12 6:13 PM

Tracker - 2018-08-12 6:08 PM

If only Alan Partridge hadn't uttered the most damning indictment... on second thoughts that might be a good reason to buy one..."nice".

Just had a look at a few on auto trader. I think you have a point Rich. Might be just the thing that fits the bill. Me and the OH have talked about getting a hybrid before. Will run this past him.

Violet1956 - 2018-08-12 6:23 PM

Just had a look at a few on auto trader. I think you have a point Rich. Might be just the thing that fits the bill. Me and the OH have talked about getting a hybrid before. Will run this past him.

Ours was a year old when we got it, zero road tax and rarely did less than 50mpg and never once went wrong in 4 years.

Lexus servicing is expensive but we did get treated as valued customers and not an inconvenience!

Same engine/electrics as Toyota Prius so should be totally reliable and the electrics do have an 8 year 100,000 mile warranty., although the rest of it was only 3 years warranty from new.

Not fast but adequate, very comfortable seats, not the best ride going but better on 16" than 17" wheels if you can find one.

Barryd999 - 2018-08-12 12:32 PM

malc d - 2018-08-12 10:54 AM

;-)

Well to most people owning a sports car would be something out of the ordinary and probably something they can only dream of. And they can be exciting as bungee jumping or sky diving. Ive had one or two but Im banned from owning anything fast these days on account of being a hooligan. :'(

Dont settle for the SLK Veronica. Get something completely bonkers like a Morgan or TVR. Can I come for a ride? (lol)

Don't have a garage anymore since we extended the kitchen. I think both would need to be garaged Barry. So sorry won't be taking you for a ride in my car, car.

John52 - 2018-08-12 10:37 AM

I know what you mean John . Not keen on the show-off factor and I suppose that is why I hesitate. It is quite and old car though. I have stopped caring about what other people think. That is the one of the benefits of being over 60 in addition to free prescriptions. ;-)

Archived