Best charger

weldted

Sorry Welted I did see your other post but have been up at the hospital today.

The Sargent PX 300 is from far the best charger but is about the the lowest spec charger we suggest anyone buys, It is easily obtainable, lowish cost, made specifically for the demands of a Motorhome, well made and reliable if used as designed.

Unlike many chargers in this price range it actually performs quite well, so long as not used for permanent long term charging.

You can buy cheaper units, like the Rovert, but they are not in the same league.

The best charger range we have seen is the Victron Blue Energy 20A unit -

https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Datasheet-Blue-Smart-IP22-Charger-180-265-VAC-EN.pdf 20a or 30a

https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Datasheet-Blue-Smart-IP67-Charger-Waterproof-EN.pdf 17a or 25a

Unlike units like the Rovert's alleged 18a output, the Victron output really is what they say but they come at a price.

The Victrons also have a 'Long term EHU' storage mode where the unit detects no battery drain has taken place for a period of time so drops into an ultra low Float charger mode of 13.2v down from the usual 13.8v. As it says in the links above this extends battery life.

Every 7 days the charge goes back up to 14v to revitalise the battery.

We would like all UK charger manufacturers to include this feature.

Hi Alan I can only express my gratitude for your wisdom and knowledge especially under the present circumstances. I have been looking at the Victron ip22 smart 30 amp unit at £185 from meadow tech.

I appreciate the cost against the Sargent unit and the batteries will only take what they need. But having the capacity to charge up to thirty amps if required given how my system is set up could be beneficial for me.

This will complete my upgrade giving me two Youasa L36-EFB 100 amp batteries Votronic 350 Mppt regulator battery computer and shunt. Have now run heavier cables from panels to reg and on to batteries removed the Vanbitz battery mate, connected the 350's second output to the engine battery.

Thank you once again for your input.

I will be keeping a log on our next trip away to see how this setup compares to the previous one especially how the Youasa batteries perform.

Regards Ted.

Thank you.

You should see quite an improvement just with the Vanbitz Battery Master removed as this drains down both Starter and Habitation area batteries during the hours of darkness and saps some of the power it uses to 'charge' the Starter battery as it obviously won't be 100% efficient.

It really is an inefficient way of doing things, might have been better than nothing 10 years ago, but when the unit is now nearly as much a good Dual battery regulator it puzzles me.

Archived