Cost of replacing Heki rooflight seal

spartacus

Got a small amount of water coming in through the large Heki on our Eura Mobil. I think the mastic seal may need replacing and whilst I know this can be a DIY job I'm somewhat reluctant to tackle it myself.

What would be the likely cost of this if done professionally?

I'm in the Leicestershire are but do move about so any recommendations for a competent job gratefully accepted!

For an estimate of the cost, you could try contacting Dave Newell.

https://davenewell.co.uk/contact/

(OK, Telford is not in Leicestershire, but Dave has a very good reputation for competence.)

If the leak is due to the rooflight’s rubber seal having deteriorated (commonplace on older motorhomes) the cost of replacement would depend on the particular model of HEKI rooflight your Eura Mobil has, but seal replacement should be a relatively straightforward (and inexpensive) DIY task.

If the leak is through the seal between the rooflight’s base and the roof itself, the complete rooflight should be removed and the seal remade. This will be a much more challenging and time-consuming job as HEKI rooflights are bulky (and the HEKI 1 model is particularly heavy).

You really don’t want to have the rooflight removed unless it’s certain that’s this needs to be done. The cost of the work will depend to some extent on which model of HEKI rooflight your motorhome has and where it is on the roof - but expect a sizeable bill.

Many thanks Derek for your comprehensive reply, I'm beginning to understand that it is potentially a bigger job than I first thought IF the sealant/mastic needs to be replaced.

I have asked the Eura Mobil factory for a quote and they have come back with €360 to remove the Heki, clean up the old sealant, replace with new masti and re-fit the Heki. This may be in line with UK prices?

As we will be travelling through Germany I may opt for this solution, with fingers crossed that it is the worst case scenario and, on inspection, may not require the Heki to be removed.

When I bought my last van I had all 3 rooflights re-sealed. It was 7 years old and i wanted peace of mind. One of the them was a midi heki and the other two were standard mpk 400 rooflights. It cost £400 for all 3. It was a proper job and I insisted on seeing photographic evidence of all sikaflex removed before they were reinstalled. It was on a ducato so shims were fitted into the corrugations as the too to prevent sikaflex sagging and shrinking. It was done by Caravan and motor home services in Cardiff. They recently just fitted a mini heki for me for £250 inc labour on my new camper.

Archived