what type of bike rack?

sreve

hi there

I have a 2005 autotrail cheyenne 696g and am looking to fit a bike rack to the back wall (i'm not interested in a tow ball mounted rack) i have spoken to fiamma ,they won't recommend one also autotrail won't either.I also spoke to outdoor leisure and they don't seem to want the responsibility of making a recommendation.I have seen a few pictures of 696g's with fiamma racks fitted but i can't make out what type they are.

So i am wondering if anyone out there has fitted a rack to a 696g and if so what make and model you used.

many thanks.

There are pictures in this advert

https://www.becksmotorhomes.com/vehicle/2005-autotrail-cheyenne-696g

that show the layout and rear end of a 2005 Auto-Trail Cheyenne 696G.

It looks like actually fiiting a bike-rack should be straightforward (How many bikes and will they be ‘pedal’ or ‘e bikes’?) but - as Colin touches on - a 696G's large rear garage offers plenty of scope for rear-axle overloading without the additional leverage produced by hanging bikes on a rear-wall-mounted rack.

I notice you’ve also asked about this on the MHFun forum where a similar enquiry was made in 2013

https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/autotrail-bike-rack.70820/

Besides the Fiamma products, Thule markets bike-racks aimed at motorhomes

https://www.thule.com/en-gb/gb/motorhome-accessories/bike-racks

As the 696G has a rear garage the lower fixings of a rack should not present much difficulty, but you’d need to decide where the upper fixings would go on the rear wall to avoid them being visually unattractive from within the motorhome.

My tow ball mounted rack carried 2 bikes. The tow bar fixing goes under the rear and is securely bolted to the chassis. It allows the bikes to be mounted low down, so easy to lift on to secure, and it also allows uninterrupted views of the following traffic. I do not have to worry about the flimsiness of the rear wall carrying the weight. Obviously rear weight calculations have to be considered, but I find it perfect for my use, so cannot understand your reluctance to consider the idea. 8-)

chas - 2018-08-16 11:52 AM

My tow ball mounted rack carried 2 bikes. The tow bar fixing goes under the rear and is securely bolted to the chassis. It allows the bikes to be mounted low down, so easy to lift on to secure, and it also allows uninterrupted views of the following traffic. I do not have to worry about the flimsiness of the rear wall carrying the weight. Obviously rear weight calculations have to be considered, but I find it perfect for my use, so cannot understand your reluctance to consider the idea. 8-)

Probably because that type rack and towball is going to add even more weight than the Fiamma type alloy item.

Archived