Alarms and Trackers

Mad Mitch

We are ordering a Hymercar Ayers Rock in the near future. Our dealer states that U.K. insurers will not accept the Hymercar Safety System (Alarm System), and has recommended the Phantom i Track. This is a Cat 1 Alarm. I notice that Phantom also offers an integral alarm and tracker which is considerably more expensive.

I contacted Comfort Insurance who tell me that based on the value of the vehicle they require a Cat 1 alarm or a Cat 5 / 6 tracker. However Phantom is not on their list of acceptable providers! They, of course, would not indicate which systems are acceptable.

If anyone provide some guidance regarding a list of acceptable systems - or anything that might steer me in the right direction I would be grateful.

Mad Mitch

I have a Gemini 931T-MH alarm system that is a Thatcham Cat 2/1 upgrade. The base vehicle already had a Cat 2 (immobiliser) and this alarm upgraded it to a Cat 1. Even though it looks easy to fit, it must be installed by an approved installer and you need the installer certificate to send to Comfort.

I also needed a tracker and I had a SmarTrack - protector pro global system fitted. I got it from trackerfit and they fitted it on my drive. Again, you need the install & subscription certificate to send to Comfort.

I didn't have the tracker fitted until a few days after I had picked up the van and Comfort would not cover me for theft until the tracker was fitted. I had a few sleepless nights as a result.

The app. that get with the tracker is actually quite useful if you go wondering around a town say, and want to get back to your van by a different route.The app. tells you were you parked in relation to your current position on google maps.

plwsm2000 - 2018-08-16 3:03 PM

I didn't have the tracker fitted until a few days after I had picked up the van and Comfort would not cover me for theft until the tracker was fitted. I had a few sleepless nights as a result.

Not if You'd slept in the Van

We are picking up our new van in September, and have ordered the https://www.606060.com/motorhome-security-13-p.asp (Outsmart the thief) tracker and alarm to be fitted at home. NFU, who are insuring the van are more than happy with this system. Comfort wouldn't accept it, even though the company have a 100% recovery rate. They are not Thatcham approved, but TUV approved which apparently has a higher security rating. The other recommended company is https://www.vanbitz.com/

and I nearly used them but they were more expensive, and you have to take the van to them to have it fitted. However Thatcham approved.

Good luck with your new van!

flyboyprowler - 2018-08-16 6:36 PM

We are picking up our new van in September, and have ordered the https://www.606060.com/motorhome-security-13-p.asp (Outsmart the thief) tracker and alarm to be fitted at home. NFU, who are insuring the van are more than happy with this system. Comfort wouldn't accept it, even though the company have a 100% recovery rate. They are not Thatcham approved, but TUV approved which apparently has a higher security rating. The other recommended company is https://www.vanbitz.com/

and I nearly used them but they were more expensive, and you have to take the van to them to have it fitted. However Thatcham approved.

Good luck with your new van!

I personally would not consider a system that is not recognized by all insurance companies as you will be locking yourself to NFU for evermore. Above a certain value, security devices are compulsory - they don't just reduce the premium and you may not get insurance elsewhere.

Also, don't be mislead by "TUV approved" unless they state exactly what standard it complies with and that standard is applicable to the product function. This is the same for "CE approved". Your home dishwasher maybe CE approved but this just means it is safe to use, conforms to EMC requirements, can be recycled etc.- it could be hopeless at washing dishes and still be CE (or TUV) approved.

I am not aware of any specific CE or TUV standards that address vehicle security but I haven't bothered to look recently. If you have the user manual I would be interested to know if it mentions what standards it complies with.

Perhaps there should be a NCC accreditation for security products ;-)

If I was buying a new van I would get a Cat 5/6 tracker and make sure it had a decent alarm too, regardless of insurance requirements. I would also get a wheel clamp, steering wheel lock and a pedal lock.

Cat 5 tracker is only £200 to install and £120 a year.

Hope this helps

Archived