Benimar terosso 483

wardy

Hi all can anyone tell me about the drop down bed on the 483 I have been told that there is some noise when the bed is down if you turn over in the night, I have asked two delears to show us the bed down but they said that they was not powered up. I would like to hear from someone who as got one, and can you also tell us if you can get a smaller table or is it a matter of take it out and put a free standing table in, is there any other issues we should be aware of, We are looking at getting one next year. We have also been told that the only place you can get them from is Marquis Motorhomes.

I was impressed with the Benimar range when I saw them at Marquis. They are the only UK sellers. There is a Benimar facebook group which might be able to help with your question. However, I agree that the table is far too large and you have to push your way pass it to get to the swivelled front seats . Marquis said they could remove the table but then a 4 berth becomes 2. The Tessoro is based on Ford Transit and there are fuel injector issues - 96 pages of them - on the Ford Transit forum. My choice would be to opt for the Fiat version based on the Mileo range.

There were issues with the injectors on early Transit chassis’. Just like there were issues with the EGR valve and inter cooler pipe clamps on Fiats , but both of those have been resolved a while ago. The Ford is a superior drive in all respects. Comfort , performance , handling etc. Plus it comes with a 5 year warranty.

As to the drop down bed we have had no issues whatsoever. Works as it should and is very comfy. I did remove the Benimar table as it is too big and heavy. Check out the Benimar owners Facebook group for all the details. Any more info just ask

Marcol - 2018-08-19 6:56 PM

There were issues with the injectors on early Transit chassis’. Just like there were issues with the EGR valve and inter cooler pipe clamps on Fiats , but both of those have been resolved a while ago. The Ford is a superior drive in all respects. Comfort , performance , handling etc. Plus it comes with a 5 year warranty.

As to the drop down bed we have had no issues whatsoever. Works as it should and is very comfy. I did remove the Benimar table as it is too big and heavy. Check out the Benimar owners Facebook group for all the details. Any more info just ask

I'm glad you think the problem is sorted. The Mk8 is a nice vehicle but there are a few problems recorded on the forum and one on a 67 plate Transit with only 458 miles on the clock. There are other recent posts also but it is difficult to establish the age of the vehicles unless you are prepared to read every post and as I stated there are 97 pages (not 96) of problems. If you enter Fuel injector problems in the forum you will see the number of times this issue has been raised on the Transit.

"There were issues with the injectors on early Transit chassis’. Just like there were issues with the EGR valve and inter cooler pipe clamps on Fiats , but both of those have been resolved a while ago. The Ford is a superior drive in all respects. Comfort , performance , handling etc. Plus it comes with a 5 year warranty."

There are still issues with Transit injectors - an on-going problem that is taking longer to sort out on more vehicles than the limited number of Fiats affected by the intercooler pipe. 5 year "warranty" - the price Ford had to pay (no doubt though gritted teeth) to keep Trigano's business after the initial injector problems IMO - and the timing gear problems as well. "Superior" drive ? Comfort ? Handling ? All better on the Ford ? Having replaced a "170" hp Transit with a 150hp Ducato, I don't think so - I know which gave me backache, a numb bumb & was more tiring to drive - with the added "benefit" of higher fuel consumption + Adblue & it isn't the Fiat.

If you really fancy a Transit, I would suggest that you make sure you get a good test drive first.

If the drop down bed is the same Project 2000 item used by Chausson, I have not noticed any noise or movement while using either version (motor in bed frame or motor on bulkhead) in our Welcome 610s.

Do Benimar not have the folding tables used in Chaussons ?

Nigel B

mgnbuk - 2018-08-19 7:23 PM

"There were issues with the injectors on early Transit chassis’. Just like there were issues with the EGR valve and inter cooler pipe clamps on Fiats , but both of those have been resolved a while ago. The Ford is a superior drive in all respects. Comfort , performance , handling etc. Plus it comes with a 5 year warranty."

There are still issues with Transit injectors - an on-going problem that is taking longer to sort out on more vehicles than the limited number of Fiats affected by the intercooler pipe. 5 year "warranty" - the price Ford had to pay (no doubt though gritted teeth) to keep Trigano's business after the initial injector problems IMO - and the timing gear problems as well. "Superior" drive ? Comfort ? Handling ? All better on the Ford ? Having replaced a "170" hp Transit with a 150hp Ducato, I don't think so - I know which gave me backache, a numb bumb & was more tiring to drive - with the added "benefit" of higher fuel consumption + Adblue & it isn't the Fiat.

If you really fancy a Transit, I would suggest that you make sure you get a good test drive first.

If the drop down bed is the same Project 2000 item used by Chausson, I have not noticed any noise or movement while using either version (motor in bed frame or motor on bulkhead) in our Welcome 610s.

Do Benimar not have the folding tables used in Chaussons ?

Nigel B

I know you had a bad time with your Transit Nigel and hence why you’re so against the Ford. I on the other hand have had 3 motorhomes over the last 12 years or so. The first one was an Auto-Trail on a 150hp Fiat Ducato with a comfortmatic gearbox and to put it bluntly it was bloody awful. It was noisy, uncomfortable and the gearbox , which in my ignorance I assumed it was a proper automatic, was the invention of Satan himself. It could never decide which gear to be in and the gear change was so slow. The judder when trying to reverse up an incline was horrendous. It was in the local Fiat dealer more than it was on the road. I vowed there and then never ,repeat never to have another Fiat as long as the sun shined. The next one we had was a Peugeot based Elddis which was fine but was underpowered at only 130hp. This had the Ford 2.2 litre Puma engine and gave no problems at all. The Elddis part on the other hand was another story.

Our current Transit Benimar has been perfect from day one. It’s a proper automatic , I get 28-30 mpg and I’ve just topped the AdBlue tank after 3700 miles, so it’s used 10lts of AdBlue in that time and that costs £11. I’m happy with that. Ford have always made a great handling chassis and the Transit is no exception. The Sevel built vans I’ve owned felt very skittish when overtaking or being overtaken by HGVs ,but the Ford is far superior in its handling.

I still stand by my original statement for me the Transit is better in every respect

So we speak as we find. You like the Fiat , I like Henry’s finest and that’s just how it is. But that’s good we don’t all like the same

Happy motoring

Colin

Mike88 - 2018-08-19 7:18 PM

Marcol - 2018-08-19 6:56 PM

I'm glad you think the problem is sorted. The Mk8 is a nice vehicle but there are a few problems recorded on the forum and one on a 67 plate Transit with only 458 miles on the clock. There are other recent posts also but it is difficult to establish the age of the vehicles unless you are prepared to read every post and as I stated there are 97 pages (not 96) of problems. If you enter Fuel injector problems in the forum you will see the number of times this issue has been raised on the Transit.

I can only speak as I find. I’ve been driving vans for nearly 40 years for my business. Most of them have been Transits because they are the ones that last. I don’t like buying anything German if I can help it as all German vehicles are overpriced for what you get in my opinion. I’m not saying they’re bad , they just aren’t value for money. That leaves you with French or Italian. I’ve tried both and they just don’t last as long as the Ford. The engines are fine it’s just all the other plastic bits that break and the electrics are a bloody nightmare in the Fiat/Peugeot. I don’t think they’re built for a damp country like the UK ?? Or the ones I had weren’t. Saying that it was a few years ago now

Never had any serious issues with the Ford. Had an inlet air temp sensor replaced on my current Transit Custom and had to have new front discs on an old Mk5 ,all under warranty. Other than that no probs. I don’t see any point in going on a forum to read about what might happen to my van. All I can say is that the Transit has served me well for nearly 40 years and until it doesn’t serve me well , I’ll keep buying them :-D :-D

Well if you could have a test drive in one, would it then be a Testerossa? Could then stick a Ferrari badge on the front.:-D

In answer to your Q about the bed, I'd INSIST that your local marquis dealer show you the bed working but can't think that if you're a serious buyer that they wouldn't find the key for the switch or pop the fuse in. |More likely it'll be the key. We had it on our Elddis 196 at Birmingham show, the demo one didn't have the bed working for fairly obvious reasons but when I said I wouldn't even consider buying without seeing it in operation, all of a sudden the magic key appeared.

Archived