Thread Hijacking

Tracker

Apologies for this maybe being in the wrong section but it needs to be said and it needs to be seen.

If anyone else is as fed up as I am with all the politcal clap trap spoiling the Motorhome Matters section now is your chance to say so.

It's bad enough it constantly ruining what used to be a fun Chatterbox section without having to endure it on here as well so please feel free to also complain, and keep on complaining, to the adminstrators, naming names and giving reasons.

It's only if enough people complain that something might be done to curb the abuse of free speech which has gone on for far too long.

On the other hand if you feel that it is not an issue please do feel free to say or do nothing and that will give the perpetrators even more of an excuse to carry on being a pain in the derriere.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Having left facebook because of obscene insults, apparently because I advised a member to read their motohome manual, I am not surprised at the way contributors hi jack reasonable discussions to air their own prejudices.

The anonymous nature of the internet seems to give folk the courage to make comments they wouldn't dare to make if they were seeing you face to face.

So I suppose the remedy is just to pity their inadequacies and not rise to the provocation.

Having objected to the very existence of “chatterbox” I’m disappointed to see that “matters” is going in a political direction. I believe that it is a conscious decision by the administrators to not moderate “ chatterbox” on the basis that , left unmoderated, those who are more interested in being political, and often pretty extreme, will keep their views amongst themselves. Until recently it has worked, but I agree, it , politics has started to infect “matters”

A reminder from the moderators/ administrators would be appreciated, and timely, please.

And I still don’t think There is any place for “chatterbox” on Outandaboutlive,

Regards, Snowie

I have never accessed this chatterbox section, I am, admittedly a recent joiner, but have not noticed much overtly political or indeed much sniping or unpleasantness compared to some forums, but I do like to keep my forum reading and occasional contributions either relevant to motorhoming or light in nature.

Davy

This happens on all forums. This one is pretty good as it has a clear section called Chatterbox which is intended to talk about other stuff other than motorhomes. I love Chatterbox. All forums are communities and people get to know each other. If they need motorhome advice they will get it and I have to say the level of expertise on here is often way better than a lot of forums but people get to know each other so inevitably they want to banter about other stuff. Just like you would down the pub. I agree it shouldnt if possible spill over to the motorhome section but threads drift.

Politics is big at the moment and everyone is an expert. A lot of people enjoy debating so let them get on with it.

just posting a tiny bit more on Matters lately, after a bit of a rest, and before that enjoyed a good long spell with, what I believe, is the best MHforum around....

I'm back (gently) after becoming completely disillusioned with the Caravan Club CT foum and its 'rule' by five or six 'regulars', who hijack threads and will not 'allow' reasonable discussion re anything that involves changing CC (for better or worse) and there is a real underlying anti MH 'feel' despite the club changing its name to head this off...

it would be very sad indeed if MMM went the same way...

currently, I can't say I've noticed any political bias too much, I don't do Chatterbox (or any other (non) social media type areas....

I like the forum for what it is.....a real helpful source of technical support and interest...I hope it stays like that.

Tracker - 2018-08-22 7:53 PM

Apologies for this maybe being in the wrong section but it needs to be said and it needs to be seen.

If anyone else is as fed up as I am with all the politcal clap trap spoiling the Motorhome Matters section now is your chance to say so.

It's bad enough it constantly ruining what used to be a fun Chatterbox section without having to endure it on here as well so please feel free to also complain, and keep on complaining, to the adminstrators, naming names and giving reasons.

It's only if enough people complain that something might be done to curb the abuse of free speech which has gone on for far too long.

On the other hand if you feel that it is not an issue please do feel free to say or do nothing and that will give the perpetrators even more of an excuse to carry on being a pain in the derriere.

Richie,

could not agree more.It is becoming more of an effort to access and enjoy the forum.Even if somebody posts a non political item it is soon turned into o tennis ball for the serious offenders.Maybe they should set up their own political forum and argue oil their hearts content.

cheers

derek

John52 - 2018-08-23 9:15 AM

So why do you join in the political discussions Tracker ?

Got to agree ... Others claim not to want Chatterbox but go in it ... Go figure ... Chatterbox is a totally different animal to here ... I have no idea if politics comes into discussion on here as I rarely look in ... I did with this thread as thought it was about motorhome hijacking

Guest pelmetman

I was always taught its not polite to talk religion or politics among polite company ;-) .........

That's why I save it for Chatterbox :D ..........

snowie - 2018-08-22 9:45 PM

...A reminder from the moderators/ administrators would be appreciated, and timely, please.

And I still don’t think There is any place for “chatterbox” on Outandaboutlive,

Regards, Snowie

I’m a forum Moderator.

I have no interest in the “Chatterbox” forum and I have no intention of reading the postings there nor ‘moderating’ them. The stated purpose of that forum is to "Chat about anything and everything...” and, right at the top of the that forum’s home-page, is guidance on Warners acceptable-use policy. If people posting there choose not to comply with that policy, another Moderator (or the forum’s Administrator) will need to address this not me.

Not long after this set of forums was created in 2005 and became open to anyone who wished to register, the primary forum (Motorhome Matters) became uncontrolled (and uncontrollable) with everything under the sun being posted there - much of it ‘amusing’ junk. The Chatterbox forum was set up to counter this and, to a large extent, has been successful in doing so.

Although I’m well aware that a few forum-members have political hobby-horses (eg. John52) and occasionaly make this evident when posting outside the Chatterbox forum, I don’t believe this happens often enough to matter. I’m sure they know that ‘going political’ (or confrontational) is likely to provoke a reaction, but their comments are usually recognised as repetitive and/or boring and do not result in the type of endless in-fighting that occurred here in the past before the main offenders got booted out.

The assignment to certain forum-members of Moderator privileges hearks back to when these forums were being subjected to intense spam attacks that eventually needed to be combatted by software modifications. Spam postings are virtually non-existent here now, but I (and the other Moderators) continue to have powerful forum-privileges by default. There is, however, no guidance from ‘on high’ on how Warners might wish Moderators to employ or restrict usage of those powers nowadays.

If forum-members believe Tracker’s diagnosis of the ‘health’ of the Motorhome Matters forum is accurate (and I do not) they are fully entitled to complain in droves to the forum Administrator. But don’t forget that the Moderators are few in number and volunteers. So if (like Tracker) it’s believed that “...something might be done to curb the abuse of free speech which has gone on for far too long”, it would be advisable to think how this objective would be attained and who is going to do the ‘something’.

Something to ponder... A forum Moderator has the power to delete and edit anybody’s postings (with no time constraints), to move threads between forums, and to delete or freeze complete threads. Would you like Tracker to have those capabilities? ;-)

(I’ve deleted John52’s follow-on ‘political’ posting as I’m fed up with him doing this. I’m happy for him to complain to the forum Administrator about my action, though he might want to mention if he does this that he was banned from this forum (when he used a different user-name) for exactly this type of behaviour.)

Billggski - 2018-08-22 8:50 PM

The anonymous nature of the internet seems to give folk the courage to make comments they wouldn't dare to make if they were seeing you face to face.

Are you saying they should be too scared to say what they think?

Derek Uzzell - 2018-08-23 9:46 AM

he might want to mention if he does this that he was banned from this forum (when he used a different user-name) for exactly this type of behaviour.)

I was suspended for 3 months and invited to return after that.

It was a misuinderstanding that got out of hand.

I could have continued with the same username but chose a different one to avoid Trolls trying to rake it all up again.

I’m a forum Moderator.

Something to ponder... A forum Moderator has the power to delete and edit anybody’s postings ……….

I assume that when you say a moderator can " edit anybody's postings " that means that they can only cut the offending bits out - and not change the wording.

(?)

Would you like Tracker to have those capabilities?

Just to set the record straight and remove any confusion, at no point have I ever asked to be a moderator and neither do I ever wish to be.

Perhaps one of the moderators could retitle this thread as 'Thread Hijacking' to remove any confusion?

malc d - 2018-08-23 10:06 AM

Tracker - 2018-08-22 7:53 PM

Does this mean you won't be posting it any more?

:-|

Not on motorhome matters I won't.

For I have seen the error of my ways and I will no longer feed the troll!

malc d - 2018-08-23 12:11 PM

I’m a forum Moderator.

Something to ponder... A forum Moderator has the power to delete and edit anybody’s postings ……….

I assume that when you say a moderator can " edit anybody's postings " that means that they can only cut the offending bits out - and not change the wording.

(?)

Malc,

I am also an assistant Mod and can confirm we have the powers to change the wording of your post to our hearts content :D

Malc

As Keith has said Moderators can do whatever they choose to forum-members' postings (including the Moderator’s own postings).

Anything you can do when you are creating your posting (and during the subsequent able-to-edit 30-minute time-allowance) I can do at any time afterwards. I can add/remove/change/reorder letters/numbers, words, sentences or paragraphs in a posting, or add or remove attachments. I can delete individual postings in a thread and move complete threads between forums, and I can ‘freeze’ and ‘sticky’ complete threads. What I cannot do is move (or copy) individual postings from one thread to another (which I don’t think the forum Administrator can do either).

There is a significant difference between you editing your own posting within the 30-minute editing time-window and me editing your posting later. When you perform the edit that fact will be recorded on your posting, but I remain ‘invisible’ when I edit and there would be no indication on your posting that I’d been fiddling about with it.

Rather like in Orwell’s “1984”, Moderators have the potential within the forum structure to rewrite history should they so wish.

Tracker - 2018-08-23 12:25 PM

Just to set the record straight and remove any confusion, at no point have I ever asked to be a moderator and neither do I ever wish to be.

In that case why not leave the moderating to the moderators? I might get irritated when I see someone wrongly parked. But I don't take on the job of the traffic warden. Thats just a recipe for trouble. There are more than enough real traffic wardens to deal with it and they are better equipped to deal with it than I am.

Derek Uzzell - 2018-08-23 1:34 PM .....Rather like in Orwell’s “1984”, Moderators have the potential within the forum structure to rewrite history should they so wish.

Could you please write a story in which Tracker is an open-minded chap who never over-reacts, is always courteous to other contributors and really doesn't mind at all when someone pulls his leg?

Archived