Ford Transit 135 / Rimor Sailer

Mel B

I agree wholeheartedly with mel about the winterisation of the Rimor - we have used ours in -10C and survived with the blown air heating only (very warm it was too) - even the massive garage was heated. Rimors are decent quality vans (and so they should be at the price) - and they tend to use the top end van chassis (ours is the 156bhp Merc 416cdi chassis shich on its own was about £25000). They're well specced in the UK too with Smev ovens (of a decent size), fridge/freezer, extractor fan, plenty of lights, strip and spot, comfy real matresses in the beds and things like an awning light, roof rack and ladder as standard.

In terms of French and German products, French cars regularly come in JD Power polls near the bottom, while Mercedes cars now have a very poor reliability record (especially with electrics). Even VWs are not as well built as their Czech cousins.

Motorhomes are very much a personal thing and we will all continue to buy vans that others dislike. Me, personally, I hate six berth Autotrails with sideways bench seats in the rear.

Campbell

JudgeMental - 2007-01-30 2:03 PM

Dave

less of the "old" and did you forget a smiley to show your comments where in good humour?

"happy holidays" is exactly the point....

New ford comes with cruise as standard :-)

Sorry for using the word "old" it was purely a turn of phrase. Did I forget the smilie? Hhmmmmm, maybe I did, maybe I didn't. trouble is 'cos of my age I can't remember!

Do I come here often?????

D.

At least in the UK, cruise-control on the latest Ford Transit is an option.

I'm aware that it's part of the standard specification on various German motorhome marques, but I don't know if that's because it's standard for German-specification Transits or because it's included in a Ford 'options pack' for the chassis selected by the motorhome manufacturer - probably the latter, I suspect.

The Ford optional "Flex-Package" on my Hobby comprised cab air-con, electric windows and mirrors, tinted glass, wheel trims, radio and uprated heater (allegedly!), while the 'Germany' package included a passenger air-bag, ABS, tachometer and headlight height adjustment. Vehicle standard specifications can vary significantly from country to country. (For example, all 2000-2005 UK-specification Transits had ABS as standard, but this was an option for French-spec models.) It's another thing to beware of when choosing a motorhome.

Archived