Santander to Santiago de Compostelo

stevec176

Hi,

I'm travelling from Santander to Porto via Santiago and I'm sure many of you have done the same so would like to pick your brains please as I'm having trouble finding suitable overnight stops in Spain. We dock at 18-15 so looking for a over night stop within an hour of the port. If any one has suggestions for overnight stops along the route or around Santiago I'd be grateful.

Many thanks,

We travelled that route a few years ago and there was an abundance of low cost or free aires and places to overnight, especially along the coast.

Our guides were 'Camperstop Europe' and The Vicarious book of ' All the Aires Spain and Portugal' and we loved the area. but it can be a bit windy and wet!

English was much less commonly spoken or understood than in the South of Spain and along the Med Coast.

We paricularly like the coast of Northern Spain and there is (was) an overnight parking car park at Arcade (near Vigo) harbour that we liked as there was always something happening to see and water etc was available - don't know if it still so do not depend on it!.

The town is unexceptional but not bad and there are lovely gardens up at an old chateau above the town at Soutomaior. That whole coast is littered with lovely quiet overnight spots and hidden aires but it does take a little exploring off the main roads to find them.

The Picos de Europa mountains have some spectacular scenery, and we saw eagles soaring and hunting, but some of the roads are not for the faint hearted, although coaches seem to manage OK!!!

The camperstop book is OK for written instructions but we found was not always up to date or reliable. The Vicarious book was good with pictures and pretty accurate and dependable and the two together cost less than two nights on a site and saved us a lot more than their cost!

We stopped o/n alongside the river on a quite (at night!) road that allowed o/n parking at a pleasant little seaside town of San Vicente de la Barquera which was as close to Santander as we got.

Deffheads - 2018-09-16 7:32 PM

Hi, download the campercontact app, this is far more up to date than camperstop.

Good idea, but the joy of a book is that it does not need wifi or a battery and can be refered to, browsed and book marked at anytime - well anytime you are not driving or asleep, or both, that is!

stevec176 - 2018-09-15 8:41 PM

Hi,

I'm travelling from Santander to Porto via Santiago and I'm sure many of you have done the same so would like to pick your brains please as I'm having trouble finding suitable overnight stops in Spain. We dock at 18-15 so looking for a over night stop within an hour of the port. If any one has suggestions for overnight stops along the route or around Santiago I'd be grateful.

Many thanks,

Hi stevec176

There is a campsite at Castro Jerez, near Burgos.

It’s an amazing village I think close to the Camino de Santiago. It’s not an Aire or Spanish equivalent, and it may not be open all year, but if it is then I think it’s pretty spectacular. Might not be many people around or premises open depending on time of year, but we stayed a couple of nights, had a meal and a walk around the village in March 2017

It may have been ACSI

Regards, Snowie

The beach car park at Comillas is free overnight and has toilets.

It is about 50 mins drive from Santander.

We stayed there in a car once but there were plenty of MHs too.

It's a lovely little beach in a pleasant town with some good restaurants.

Always planned to go back with MH.

Unnamed Road

39520 Comillas, Cantabria, Spain

43.390442, -4.290569

Archived