Parking up at Calais,

emmitdb

Greetings All,

SWMBO and me are crossing the Channel in March. We arrive at about 9pm and I was thinking of parking up for the night on the quayside next to the beach in Calais. (I'm sure all of you Motorcaravanners who frequent that part of Calais will know where I mean.)

Am I alright doing this with our humble car and Caravan or is that area reserved solely for motorcaravans.

Any assistance in this matter greatly appreciated.

If you mean in the aire, then it's for camping cars (MH) only. It has a barrier now and isn't as big as it used to be.

If you mean the car park outside the aire then parking's illegal whether you have a caravan or MH.

Generally you won't be welcome on aires as you take up 2 spaces.

Having said all that perhaps there will be plenty of space in March?

Hi;

Strictly speaking its for motorhomes only but I have seen the odd caravan and even a folding camper stay the night.

If not then there is another good unnofficial overnight spot just up the road from here opposite the marina.

From the aire, t/left up to first roundabout go straight ahead over the swing bridge to the mini roundabout and turn right. Follow the road down to the next roundabout and turn sharp right into a huge parking area opposite the marina. No facilities here though but loads of room. Seen a few caravans overnighting there as well.

Late edit - Ralph, the barrier was snapped off ages ago by a few disgruntled motorhomers. There is no entry/access restrictions anymore.

pete

This reminds me of a time when I crossed a couple of years ago.

In front of us in the queue at Dover were a couple (around 60 ish) in an old VW raising roof. They seemed to be messing about with the seats and I just assumed they had lost something.

When on the boat we got chatting. They were from Australia and had bought the van that day. They had driven down to Dover, gone to the Sea France desk and bought a ticket (ouch!)

This was a midnight crossing and they asked where they might stay in Calais. I told them about the aire but they wanted a proper site at that time of night as they had no facilities in the van. Then they were off to tour Europe

I'm still wondering whether they were brave or stupid...

We usually stop on the Calais port car park, you will notice it to the left as you leave the dock, loads of motorhomes and caravans stop there overnight. You just have to exit at the roundabout as if you are going to Calais centre and go right round the roundabout and into the entrance, there is no charge to use, we normally use it if we are going out late and if we return early.

There is some noise from other vehicles exiting the docks but i have found that motorcycle earplugs, very cheap from your local motorcycle shop, stop most of that. Toilet and wash facilites and food is available at the terminal building if you want it.

We found the Aire has become noisy and frequented by the local yobo's, least way the car park outside sometimes spills into the Aire.

Bas

I'm with Basil on this one and have used Calais port parking for years. Very convenient and safe now that the itinerants have departed. Never had any trouble with lorry noise but that might be down to my sleep pattern. You have also got the worst bit behind you for the next morning.

Have fun

Apparently a wine store in Calais called Franglais Vins is now happy for vans, and I guess caravans, to park over in the car park.  They have the hope that you might purchase something the next day, but I believe that there is no requirement whatsoever. 

Never stayed there, though.  Not even sure where it is.

Used the Calais Aire on 19th Jan. No barrier to negotiate if approached by following the brown coloured signposts through Calais Town Centre.

Turn in to right of the resturant buildings, and drive directly into the site.

If approached by other side of buildings, there is a height barrier.

While out having coffee this morning I got a glimpse over someone's shoulder of a headline in the Express which seemed to suggest that the French are thinking of re-opening a "centre" at Sangatte Presumably to help "visitors" on their way to the UK. How true this is I don't know - I don't subscribe to the idea "that it must be true because it was in the papers". Did anyone else read this more fully than I did?

It might make overnighting near Calais not such an agreeable option.

Empress

Franglais is off the A16 autoroute towards Boulogne. It used to be junction 8 but they have all been renumbered and I am not sure what it is now. Turn right onto the A16. Go past euro city and you can see Franglais on the left from the road. It is signposted to Wissant and Cap Blanc Nez to the right Frethun and passenger train terminal to the left. We actually buy our wine there. Parking is easy, it isn't crowded and the prices seem pretty good to me. They have a website so you could ask about parking.

You've just ruined my day Empress with your mention of Sangette.

A few years ago nine, yes nine, vagrants set about our van when Sangette was at its hight. I turned the alarm and flashers on, which only seemed to annoy them more, as they then started to rock the van like crazy. Shortly afterwards four riot police, or soldiers, arrived crammed in a tiny car. At this the vandals fled to all points of the compass whilst the car went round and round in circles, getting knowhere, with its occupants still aboard (I think they were too scared to get out). It was just like watching a keystone cops movie. Later on, when I had changed my pants, I got to reflecting what a wonderful and varied life us motorhomers lead!

Have fun.

Ron

empress - 2007-01-29 1:40 PM

While out having coffee this morning I got a glimpse over someone's shoulder of a headline in the Express which seemed to suggest that the French are thinking of re-opening a "centre" at Sangatte Presumably to help "visitors" on their way to the UK. How true this is I don't know - I don't subscribe to the idea "that it must be true because it was in the papers". Did anyone else read this more fully than I did?

It might make overnighting near Calais not such an agreeable option.

Empress

Yes I've heard that too somewhere. Having said that we've used the dock parking area for many years including the period when the Sangatte issue was at it peak - on two or three ocassions. Although it wasn't pleasant witnessing those events we didn't feel threatened and would certainly prefer that to getting involved with a French Seaman's blockade.

Vernon

Archived