2013 Citroen X250 2.2 engine not warming up in cold weather

spirou

Another thread below reminded me of our "little" problem that's been on hold since winter and has left me and the garage confused so far. It's a standard PSA 2.2 liter 130bhp engine from late 2013 with some 130000km/80000 miles behind it.

The symptoms are simple and I've only noticed them since Greece this winter. The engine never warms up to normal working temperature once the outside temperatures are below about 10°C unless you drive uphill or on a motorway for a long time. Even on a motorway, if you take your foot off and coast for a minute or so (at toll stations etc.) or drive downhill, the needle will drop by a quarter or even all the way. On flat regional roads at speeds below 50-60 mph the needle eventually goes up to quarter mark, often going lower if there are many turns and you obviously switch between brake, coast, accelerate constantly. Getting to that quarter mark takes forever when temperatures are below freezing. The engine otherwise seems to work fine and there are no other apparent issues. My scan tool didn't give me any obvious clues (other than low engine temp) and there were no engine fault codes.

In essence, the cooling pump seems to work excessively in colder temperatures. No such problems when it's warmer. At least not apparent. We've taken it to a Citroen pro garage and they've had a look and found no issues. Pump and fan work normally. The problem is that they had it when temperature was around 20. Obviously I plan on taking it back when it's around freezing but I'd be interested to hear opinions. Euroserv?

I am certainly no expert but I have had a couple of problems with motor cars which were down to the failure of things like oil pressure switches and a temperature sensor. My car is a Skoda (therefore part of the VW Group) and my mechanic told me he had changed a number of these. This problem was not solely a VW one but occurred with various car makers.

Archived